Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions monitor log entries and send e-mail Post 302426234 by Scrutinizer on Tuesday 1st of June 2010 07:23:22 AM
Old 06-01-2010
Hi Vin8465,

if you use grep you have give it something to grep (file or stdin)..
In this segment you do not specify the input file, so grep is waiting for input.
Code:
SEARCH=`$GREP -i 'error|warning'`

This User Gave Thanks to Scrutinizer For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

monitor log entries and send e-mail

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! I am stuck and worried. My assignment was due a day ago and I was too busy completing other assignments due during the same time. I worry that not completing this assignment... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vin8465
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

need to configure mail setting to send mail to outlook mail server

i have sun machines having solaris 9 & 10 OS . Now i need to send mail from the machines to my outlook account . I have the ip adress of OUTLOOK mail server. Now what are the setting i need to do in solaris machines so that i can use mailx or sendmail. actually i am trying to automate the high... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitranjansahu
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Monitor log file for a Error and generate the e-mail.

This is my log file and this is live log. Any abnormal error other than following I need to generate the email. Log path : /DER/app/admin/ABC/bdump/erg.log Current log# 2 seq# 103046 mem# 0: /ora2/oradata/ABC/redo02a.log Current log# 2 seq# 103046 mem# 1:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hishanms
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to monitor log file for a Error and generate the e-mail ( Please help)

This is my log file and this is live log. Any abnormal error other than following I need to generate the email. Log path : /DER/app/admin/ABC/bdump/erg.log Current log# 2 seq# 103046 mem# 0: /ora2/oradata/ABC/redo02a.log Current log# 2 seq# 103046 mem# 1:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hishanms
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looking for shell script to monitor CPU utilization and send mail once exceed 75%

Dear Group, I'm look for shell script to Monitor CPU usage and send mail once it exceed 75% I'm running Suse10.4. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: clfever
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic script for monitor send mail service

Hi All Need help Can any one share a basic script that is used for monitor sendmail service whether online, offline.etc in solaris Thanks in advance Zimmy (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zimmyyash
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Monitor file if match then send mail

Hi I want to monitor a file even if the file rotate. When a text occurs I want to send a mail. Something like this but it's not working correctly: tail -F mylog.log | grep 'MatchMe' | while read line do echo $(date +"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S") MatchMe occurs | mail -s "MatchMe"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chitech
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search the string in the active log and send mail

Hello, I wanted to search specific string in the acitve log file and send an email if the search string found in the log. Log file is written by application all the time. So, script has to search if any new log entry has the specific string for example " sample exception" and send an email. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: balareddy
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Monitor a file and send mail

I want to monitor the maillog file in real time and send a mail when a certain grep condition is met. Every time the grep condition is met a mail will be sent. I wish to ignore all grep conditions 30 mins after each mail and thereafter continue monitoring. For example: Condition is met, mail... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Client was not authenticated to send anonymous mail during MAIL FROM (in reply to MAIL FROM comm

I am having trouble getting mail to work on a red hat server. At first I was getting this message. Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; delivery temporarily suspended: connect to :25: Connection refused Then added the port to my firewall. Then I temporarily turned off selinux. I then copied this file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)