Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Reading a particular line from a .txt file Post 302425830 by gaurav1086 on Sunday 30th of May 2010 03:24:03 PM
Old 05-30-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mugga
Hi,
I have a .txt file which contains the x, y and z co-ordinates of particles which I am trying to cast for a particular compound. The no. of particles present is of the order of 2 billion and hence the size of the text file is of the order of a few Gigabytes. The particles have been casted layer wise - thus, if there are 15000 layers in which I have casted the particles, there are approx. 2 billion/15000 particles in each layer. Thus, every 2 billion/15000 particles have the same Y co-ordinate. Now, I need to read the particles at a given value of Y (say y = 10). I wrote a small program, where I had used fin.seekg( ). However I realized that the seeking of the position from where the file has to be read is not done line-wise, but is done character-wise. Could someone please tell me how I could start seeking from a particular line in the file using a simple C++ program.
Considering the layout of your file to be in this form

X Y Z
-5.55 4.44 6.5
10.66 44.5 85.99
The values are separated by whitespace(s).

A simple awk liner will rid of of your messy C++ code.

Code:
 awk -v y=  '$2==y{print "x="$1,"z="$3}' file.txt

subsitute the value of y . e.g. awk -v y=4.44 '.........'
output from above - x=-5.55 z=6.5

Quote:
why re-invent wheels?
Hope this helps,
Regards,
GauravImage

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading Characters from txt file

Hello, I am new to shell scripting, and I am trying to create a script that reads an input like the following firstname:lastname:age firstname:lastname:age firstname:lastname:age in a text file. I have a 2 part question. First how do I open the file in a shell script. And then how can... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: TexasGuy
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading the txt file

hi to all im having some 20,000 files in that im having some contents say the tabulation of biophysics lab readings ... and i want read tat file and look into tat wether a number say -18.90 is there r not .. and if there print tat no wit file name beside thank you:D (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maximas
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Problem in reading a file line by line till it reaches a white line

So, I want to read line-by-line a text file with unknown number of files.... So: a=1 b=1 while ; do b=`sed -n '$ap' test` a=`expr $a + 1` $here do something with b etc done the problem is that sed does not seem to recognise the $a, even when trying sed -n ' $a p' So, I cannot read... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

C-Shell script help reading from txt file

I need to write a C-Shell script with these properties: It should accept two arguments on the command line. The first argument is the name of a file which contains a list of names, and the second argument is the name of a directory. For each file in the directory, the script should print the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cerce
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading text file, comparing a value in a line, and placing only part of the line in a variable?

I need some help. I would like to read in a text file. Take a variable such as ROW-D-01, compare it to what's in one line in the text file such as PROD/VM/ROW-D-01 and only input PROD/VM into a variable without the /ROW-D-01. Is this possible? any help is appreciated. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xChristopher
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to append the date | abcddate.txt to the first line of my txt file

I want to add/append the info in the following format to my.txt file. 20130702|abcd20130702.txt FN|SN|DOB I tried the below script but it throws me some exceptions. <#!/bin/sh dt = date '+%y%m%d'members; echo $dt+|+members+$dt; /usr/bin/awk -f BEGIN { FS="|"; OFS="|"; } { print... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: harik1982
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Desired output.txt for reading txt file using awk?

Dear all, I have a huge txt file (DATA.txt) with the following content . From this txt file, I want the following output using some shell script. Any help is greatly appreciated. Greetings, emily DATA.txt (snippet of the huge text file) 407202849... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: emily
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Split Every Line In Txt Into Separate Txt File, Named Same As The Line

Hi All Is there a way to export every line into new txt file where by the title of each txt output are same as the line ? I have this txt files containing names: Kandra Vanhooser Rhona Menefee Reynaldo Hutt Houston Rafferty Charmaine Lord Albertine Poucher Juana Maes Mitch Lobel... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nexeu
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

' for reading (No such file or directory) `Solaris_websummary.txt

echo "1.1 Apply latest OS patches;" awk '/1.2 Install/ {P=0} P {print $0} FNR==1{printf("From file %s:\n", FILENAME)} /1.1 Apply/ {P=1}' solarisappsummary.txt solarisdbsummary.txt solaris_websummary.txt echo "1.2 Install TCP Wrappers;" awk '/1.3 Install/ {P=0} P {print $0}... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alvinoo
1 Replies
anemotaxis(6x)							XScreenSaver manual						    anemotaxis(6x)

NAME
anemotaxis - directional search on a plane. SYNOPSIS
anemotaxis [-display host:display.screen] [-visual visual] [-window] [-root] [-delay number] [-distance number] [-sources number] [-searchers number] [-fps] DESCRIPTION
The program demonstrates a search algorithm designed for locating a source of odor in turbulent atmosphere. The odor is convected by wind which has a constant mean direction and fluctuations around it. The searcher is able to sense the odor and determine local instantaneous wind direction. The goal is to find the source in the shortest mean time. Some animals face this task to find mates, food, home etc. They exhibit very particular, zigzagging search trajectories. This is modeled as a search on a discrete two-dimensional lattice. The source releases particles that drift with constant velocity in one direction and walk randomly in the other direction. The searcher knows if it hit a particle, and if so, particle's position one time step earlier (local wind direction). The program paints sources and particles released by them as well as trajectories of searchers who are try- ing to capture the sources. OPTIONS
-visual visual Specify which visual to use. Legal values are the name of a visual class, or the id number (decimal or hex) of a specific visual. -window Draw on a newly-created window. This is the default. -root Draw on the root window. -delay number Per-frame delay, in microseconds. Default: 20000 (0.02 seconds.). -distance number Max initial distance to the source . 10 - 250. Default: 40. -sources number Max number of sources. Default: 25. -searchers number Max number of searchers. Default: 25. -fps Display the current frame rate and CPU load. ENVIRONMENT
DISPLAY to get the default host and display number. XENVIRONMENT to get the name of a resource file that overrides the global resources stored in the RESOURCE_MANAGER property. SEE ALSO
X(1), xscreensaver(1) COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2004 by Eugene Balkovsky. Permission to use, copy, modify, distribute, and sell this software and its documentation for any purpose is hereby granted without fee, provided that the above copyright notice appear in all copies and that both that copyright notice and this permission notice appear in supporting documentation. No representations are made about the suitability of this software for any purpose. It is provided "as is" without express or implied warranty. AUTHOR
Eugene Balkovsky X Version 11 5.15 (28-Sep-2011) anemotaxis(6x)