Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Sed /awk
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sed /awk Post 302425641 by smee on Friday 28th of May 2010 06:24:09 PM
Old 05-28-2010
Sed /awk

I have a interesting problem,

The data is of the format
1,264,sjfgd,6738,jsfg
then there are certain bad records of the format
1,265,jsfgdh
These records are not complete ,I want to delete these records.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk / sed

I have many messages such as the test message below: 00:00000:00021:2002/05/13 13:57:00.51 ERROR:- Test error, my test error!!! I am writing a script in which I need to get everything from the word "ERROR:-" onwards. I normally use awk for these things, but I am not an expert at it so i am... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: baileyr1
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed,awk

Hi, I know sed is stream text editor and not a bit more than that. Can anyone explain its usage and advantages? How is awk different from sed? I donno i am a bit confused about it. But i have coded in awk and shell. Thanks, Nisha :confused: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nisha
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sed in awk ? or nested awk ?

Hey all, Can I put sed command inside the awk action ?? If not then can i do grep in the awk action ?? For ex: awk '$1=="174" { ppid=($2) ; sed -n '/$ppid/p' tempfind.txt ; }' tempfind.txt Assume: 174 is string. Assume: tempfind.txt is used for awk and sed both. tempfind.txt... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: varungupta
11 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Awk or Sed help

Hi, I have a data file with 5 columns - like this: "20080401 09:43:08.770798 +0100s","TEST 1","R 1","A TEST","Nov 27 2007","1" "20080401 09:43:08.770798 +0100s","THIS IS A TEST","R 2","B TEST","Nov 30 2007","10" "20080401 09:43:08.770798 +0100s","ANOTHER TEST","R 3","B TEST","Nov 05... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrG-San
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed or awk?

I've got an inventory database with eight columns with things like product name, manufacturer, UPC code, etc. on each line. Our PO (purchase order) number is in the first column. I can grep the date and get the full line of data but I would like to strip out everything but the PO number in the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: NetJones
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed or awk?

What if I wanted to add a word such as IT after the first character and if theres 3 characters, after the 2nd character? output would be: G, it H G, H it P G, H, P it L I'm thinking that AWK would be the easiest way to do this... Currently looking it up. Right now I'm using awk but I... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: puttster
13 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help using awk or sed.

Hi All, Is there a way of comparing two columns in the same file and deleting the row if the values of the columns match. I have the sample data file as below. M024900|175309.00|968.00|17 M025001|19861.79|97.90|148 M025002|431.70|159.00|3 M025003|912.30|159.90|6 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nua7
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed/awk or help please

I have a file that contain the data below: B1 1 2 3 B2 20 30 40 B3 7 8 B4 100 B5 21 22 23How can I retrieve the data for B1 into a seperate file. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobo
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is this possible using SED and AWK?

Dear Geeks, I want to manipulate a file with certain modifications for that using sed or AWK how to do this process for one file i have this type of data. Input File: "Restricted and Reserved names .ANISH",3798,"TEST.CO",1201208,6/16/10 0:00,6/16/13 0:00,,,"CO","2nd"^M "Restricted and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anishkumarv
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed and awk giving error ./sample.sh: line 13: sed: command not found

Hi, I am running a script sample.sh in bash environment .In the script i am using sed and awk commands which when executed individually from terminal they are getting executed normally but when i give these sed and awk commands in the script it is giving the below errors :- ./sample.sh: line... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: satishmallidi
12 Replies
runacct(1M)															       runacct(1M)

NAME
runacct - run daily accounting SYNOPSIS
[mmdd[state]] DESCRIPTION
runacct is the main daily accounting shell procedure. It is normally initiated via cron(1M). runacct processes connect, fee, disk, and process accounting files. It also prepares summary files for prdaily or billing purposes. runacct takes care not to damage active accounting files or summary files in the event of errors. It records its progress by writing descriptive diagnostic messages into When an error is detected, a message is written to mail (see mail(1), mailx(1), or elm(1)) is sent to and and runacct terminates. runacct uses a series of lock files to protect against re-invocation. The files and are used to prevent simultaneous invocation, and is used to prevent more than one invocation per day. runacct breaks its processing into separate, restartable states using to remember the last state completed. It accomplishes this by writ- ing the state name into runacct then looks in to see what it has done and to determine what to process next. states are executed in the following order: Move active accounting files into working files. Verify integrity of file, correcting date changes if necessary. Produce connect session records in format. Convert process accounting records into format. Merge the connect and process accounting records. Convert output of chargefee into format and merge with connect and process accounting records. Merge disk accounting records with connect, process, and fee accounting records. Merge the daily total accounting records in with the summary total accounting records in Produce command summaries. Any installation-dependent accounting programs can be included here. Cleanup temporary files and exit. To restart runacct after a failure, first check the file for diagnostics, then fix up any corrupted data files such as or The files and file must be removed before runacct can be restarted. The argument mmdd is necessary if runacct is being restarted, and specifies the month and day for which runacct will rerun the accounting. Entry point for processing is based on the contents of to override this, include the desired state on the command line to designate where processing should begin. EXAMPLES
To start runacct. To restart runacct. To restart runacct at a specific state. WARNINGS
Normally it is not a good idea to restart runacct in its state. Run manually, then restart via: If runacct failed in its state, remove the last file because it will not be complete. FILES
SEE ALSO
mail(1), acct(1M), acctcms(1M), acctcom(1M), acctcon(1M), acctmerg(1M), acctprc(1M), acctsh(1M), cron(1M), fwtmp(1M), acct(2), acct(4), utmp(4). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
runacct(1M)