Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Matching Pairs with AWK or Shell Post 302425605 by InfoSeeker on Friday 28th of May 2010 03:19:50 PM
Old 05-28-2010
Question Matching Pairs with AWK or Shell

Hello,
I have a file Pairs.txt composed of 3 columns. For simplicity, this is the file:

A B C
B D W
X Y Z
Z W K
B A C
Y J Q
F M P
Y X Z

I am trying to reduce the file such that I only keep the first occurrence of any "pair". In the example above, I would only want to keep one occurrence of A-B, and I would want to delete B-A. The same idea for example X-Y above. (Note that I would still want to keep the last column, so if I am keeping A-B, then I still want the entire row of A-B, so I would keep A B C).

As such, the desired output:
A B C
B D W
X Y Z
Z W K
Y J Q
F M P

The only solution I could think of is to:
1. Read the entire file
2. Use a loop to read each row X, then reverse the first 2 columns of row X
3. Search for the occurrence/repeat of that reversal in the remainder of the file
3a. If it occurs, then delete this row X
3b. If it doesn't, keep row X

This can be done with C++ if I must, but I am sure there is a faster way of doing this in a script?
Is there an easier solution, and a way to implement this in a shell or awk script?

Thank you in advance!
DG

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK matching problem

hi i have a list as follow: where "aba" can be zero or one. I want match all "aba" and count how many are set to one. I mean in the previous case i should get just "2": I tried as follow: awk '/^aba/ BEGIN{i=0}{if($2==1) i=i+1}END{print i}' file but i get some errors. If i do: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dedalus
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching a delimited Key value pairs in shell script

Hello, I have property file with key value pairs separated by pipe , I am trying to write a script which reads the property file and search and print value of specific key. I tried with Sed, I am successfull. The file is as follows ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ANK
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk code to process column pairs and find those with more than 1 set of possible values

Hi, I have a very wide dataset with pairs of columns starting from column 7 onwards (see example below). 0 123456 -1 0 0 -9 0 0 1 2 2 2 1 1 1 1 2 2... 0 123457 -1 0 0 -9 1 2 1 1 2 2 0 0 0 0 2 2... 0 123458 -1 0 0 -9 0 0 1 2 2 2 1 1 2 2 1 2... 0 123459 -1 0 0 -9 1 2 0 0 2 2 1 1 1 2 1 1...... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kasan0
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: matching and not matching

Hello all, simple matching and if not match problem that i can't figure out. file1 hostname: 30 10 * * * /home/toto/start PROD instance_name1 -p 00 9 * * * /home/toto/start PROD instance_name2 -p 15 8 * * * /home/toto/start PROD instance_name3 -p hostname2: 00 8 * * *... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverick72
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk pattern matching and shell issue.

Please help me in this issue. I am unable to get the job,seems the awk not browsing the files. Please find my tries below. I have attached two files : 1.tobesearched.txt - a glimpse of a huge log file. 2.searchstring.txt - searching keys. these are the two scripts i tried writing: ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: deboprio
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing line with name:value pairs in shell script

HI , I have the following type of lines in a file and need to create a csv file that can be bcp'ed into a db The problem that I have is the delimited of the <name :value> is a space but some of the values in the pairs have space . eg msg_src_time:03/05/13 10:40:17.919 Need sugesstions on... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tasmac
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looping through pairs of files with awk

Hi all, please help me construct the command. i want to loop through all files named bam* and bed*. My awk works for a particular pair but there are too many pairs to do manually. I have generated multiple files in a folder in a given pattern. The files are named like bam_fixed1.bam... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie83
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting key/value pairs in awk

I am extracting a number of key/value pairs in awk using following: awk ' /xyz_session_id/ { n=index($0,"xyz_session_id"); id=substr($0,n+15,25); a=$4; } END{ for (ix in a) { print a } }' I don't like this Index + substr with manually calculated... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: migurus
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Big pattern file matching within another pattern file in awk or shell

Hi I need to do a patten match between files . I am new to shell scripting and have come up with this so far. It take 50 seconds to process files of 2mb size . I need to tune this code as file size will be around 50mb and need to save time. Main issue is that I need to search the pattern from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitin_daharwal
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to combine all matching dates and remove non-matching

Using the awk below I am able to combine all the matching dates in $1, but I can not seem to remove the non-matching from the file. Thank you :). file 20161109104500.0+0000,x,5631 20161109104500.0+0000,y,2 20161109104500.0+0000,z,2 20161109104500.0+0000,a,4117... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies
MSQL_FETCH_ROW(3)														 MSQL_FETCH_ROW(3)

msql_fetch_row - Get row as enumerated array

SYNOPSIS
array msql_fetch_row (resource $result) DESCRIPTION
msql_fetch_row(3) fetches one row of data from the result associated with the specified query identifier. The row is returned as an array. Each result column is stored in an array offset, starting at offset 0. Subsequent call to msql_fetch_row(3) would return the next row in the result set, or FALSE if there are no more rows. PARAMETERS
o $ result -The result resource that is being evaluated. This result comes from a call to msql_query(3). RETURN VALUES
Returns an array that corresponds to the fetched row, or FALSE if there are no more rows. EXAMPLES
Example #1 msql_fetch_row(3) example <?php $con = msql_connect(); if (!$con) { die('Server connection problem: ' . msql_error()); } if (!msql_select_db('test', $con)) { die('Database connection problem: ' . msql_error()); } $result = msql_query('SELECT id, name FROM people', $con); if (!$result) { die('Query execution problem: ' . msql_error()); } while ($row = msql_fetch_row($result)) { echo $row[0] . ': ' . $row[1] . " "; } msql_free_result($result); ?> CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.0.4 | | | | | | | A bug was fixed when retrieving data from col- | | | umns containing NULL values. Such columns were | | | not placed into the resulting array. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ SEE ALSO
msql_fetch_array(3), msql_fetch_object(3), msql_data_seek(3), msql_result(3). PHP Documentation Group MSQL_FETCH_ROW(3)