Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Difference between cp and mv linux command Post 302425555 by DreamWarrior on Friday 28th of May 2010 11:59:14 AM
Old 05-28-2010
As for your question. I believe calling fsync has nothing to do with the directory structure, which is entirely up to the file system modules in the kernel. So, I would guess when you mv and power off, the file system has not had a chance to flush its changes. As such, you lose the modifications it made to the directory structure. When you cp the file, it may flush the changes more immediately as it is creating a new file.... This is just a guess.... However, I do not believe your fix lies in the program you are writing, because I am not sure you can programatically control when the file system changes get flushed to disk.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Difference in LINUX and SOLARIS

/* * one-way-pipe.c - example of using a pipe to communicate data between a * process and its child process. The parent reads input * from the user, and sends it to the child via a pipe. * The child prints the received data to the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SQ4LIFE
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between UNIX and Linux

OK, I've used various versions of UNIX(Solaris, HPUX, etc..) over the years. Now the organization I work for is leaning towards more Linux based systems(Redhat, Suse, etc..) I do see differences in in comands and how to accomplish basic adminstration, but nothing mind blowing. So, what is it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbonilla
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

su command difference between unix and linux

Hello all the su with -l option is running normal with linux but when i try to run it on unix AIX 5.2.7 it's not working with -l option any help (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: islam.said
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

difference between unix and linux

Hi I am new to linux I have dout waht is the difference between UNIX and LINUX Is there any soft for insatallation for UNIX OS Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjaya
0 Replies

5. Linux

Difference between Windows and Linux

Hi, What is the difference between Linux and Windows? Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: billcrosby
1 Replies

6. Linux

What is the difference between Linux and Windows?

Hi, What is the difference between Linux and Windows? Thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: billcrosby
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between UNIX and Linux

hi experts please tell me the real difference between unix and linux at kernel structure (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: linurag
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Difference Redhat Linux/RH Enterprise Linux

what is the difference between Redhat Linux and Redhat Enterprise Linux. whereas Redhat linux have Server installation options too. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hananabbas
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AIX to Linux command difference

Moving from AIX 6.1 to RHEL 6.6, I have noticed a few command differences. One that has been causing issue is a simple echo command when I have to use it this way -> "echo -e" On the AIX it outputs to "-e" but since RHEL has "-e" as an option for echo and hence it outputs to blank here. All... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aster007
3 Replies
FSYNC(2)						      BSD System Calls Manual							  FSYNC(2)

NAME
fsync -- synchronize a file's in-core state with that on disk SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int fsync(int fildes); DESCRIPTION
Fsync() causes all modified data and attributes of fildes to be moved to a permanent storage device. This normally results in all in-core modified copies of buffers for the associated file to be written to a disk. Note that while fsync() will flush all data from the host to the drive (i.e. the "permanent storage device"), the drive itself may not physi- cally write the data to the platters for quite some time and it may be written in an out-of-order sequence. Specifically, if the drive loses power or the OS crashes, the application may find that only some or none of their data was written. The disk drive may also re-order the data so that later writes may be present, while earlier writes are not. This is not a theoretical edge case. This scenario is easily reproduced with real world workloads and drive power failures. For applications that require tighter guarantees about the integrity of their data, Mac OS X provides the F_FULLFSYNC fcntl. The F_FULLFSYNC fcntl asks the drive to flush all buffered data to permanent storage. Applications, such as databases, that require a strict ordering of writes should use F_FULLFSYNC to ensure that their data is written in the order they expect. Please see fcntl(2) for more detail. RETURN VALUES
The fsync() function returns the value 0 if successful; otherwise the value -1 is returned and the global variable errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The fsync() system call will fail if: [EBADF] fildes is not a valid descriptor. [EINTR] Its execution is interrupted by a signal. [EINVAL] fildes refers to a file type (e.g., a socket) that does not support this operation. [EIO] An I/O error occurred while reading from or writing to the file system. If a queued I/O operation fails, fsync() may fail with any of the errors defined for read(2) or write(2). SEE ALSO
fcntl(2), read(2), sync(2), write(2), sync(8), update(8) HISTORY
The fsync() function call appeared in 4.2BSD. 4.2 Berkeley Distribution June 4, 1993 4.2 Berkeley Distribution