Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grep between 2 patterns in a line Post 302425258 by dr.house on Thursday 27th of May 2010 12:49:29 PM
Old 05-27-2010
Not sure what's wrong with using awk Smilie

However, with grep (and sed), something along the following lines should to, too:

Code:
[house@leonov] PT='DEF.' ; cat in.file | grep -o -E "$PT* $PT" | sed "s~$PT$~~"
DEF.DEF__312.deftr0.X143.Xntys_0.\Xetabc__DEF_test_tz[0] .X1023
[house@leonov] PT='"DEF.' ; cat in.file | grep -o -E "$PT* $PT" | sed "s~$PT$~~"
"DEF.DEF__312.deftr_0.X143.Xntys_0.\Xetabc__DEF_test_tz[0] .X1023"
[house@leonov] PT='ABC.' ; cat in.file | grep -o -E "$PT* $PT" | sed "s~$PT$~~"
ABC.ABC__312.deftr0.X143.Xntys_0.\Xetabc__ABC_test_tz[0] .X1023
[house@leonov] PT='"ABC.' ; cat in.file | grep -o -E "$PT* $PT" | sed "s~$PT$~~"
"ABC.ABC__312.deftr_0.X143.Xntys_0.\Xetabc__ABC_test_tz[0] .X1023"

(Depending on your actual requirements, you may want to rebuild this into a loop.)

Last edited by dr.house; 05-27-2010 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: Crap replaced by pseudo-crap ;-)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep multiple patterns

Hi, Can we grep multiple patterns in UNIX. for example: cat /x/y/oratab | grep -i "pattern1|pattern2" .... etc I require the syntax for multiple patterns. | is not working as I explained in example. Malay (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: malaymaru
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep patterns - File

Hi I have 3 patterns for example to be searched. These three patterns are available in file1. The patterns to be searched are in file2. I want to search the pattern of file1 to file2. Can any one help with example? Regards Dhana (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dhanamurthy
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep All lines between 2 different patterns

I need a simple script to get all lines between 2 Patterns, e.g. ............. ............. 114456723: testing Script Alpha Beta 114459234: testing Done ............. ............. It should give all the lines in between 114456723 and 114459234, including these as well. Any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gurpreet470
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep for multiple patterns

I have a file with many rows. I want to grep for multiple patterns from the file. For eg: XX=123|YY=222|ZZ=566 AA=123|EE=222|GG=566 FF=123|RR=222|GG=566 DD=123|RR=222|GG=566 I want the lines which has both XX and ZZ. I know I can get it like this. grep XX file | grep YY But... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: tene
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep value between two patterns

Hi All, I've been trying solve this with a simple command but not having much luck. I have a file like this: Line 1: random_description 123/alert/high random_description2 356/alert/slow Line 2: random_description3 654/alert/medium Line 3: random_description4 234/alert/critical I'm... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: joe19
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep - various patterns

I have a file with the following text: grep \$ grep \\$ grep \\\$ grep '\$' grep '\'$' grep \\ grep \\\\ grep "\$" grep '"$' grep "$" When I perform these same commands on this file, the result are never what I would expect them to be. Could someone please comment on the results and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: uran101
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

comment a line of the patterns is a the beginning of the line

I need to comment the lines starting with pattern "exclude" or "exclude=". If the work exclude comes at any other part, ignore it. Also, ignore, excludes, excluded etc. Ie only comment the line starting with exclude. File contents. exclude exclude= hi I am excluded excludes excludes= ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil510
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep patterns

Hi Experts, I have a log file like this.I need to filter the Index name and elapsed time(only created ). 06:36:39 SQL> create index XYZ_F75 on XYZ 06:36:39 2 ("GRP_ID", "_ID") parallel 64 nologging 06:36:39 3 tablespace XARGS_IDX 06:36:39 4 ; Index created. Elapsed:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: navsan420
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find matched patterns and print them with other patterns not the whole line

Hi, I am trying to extract some patterns from a line. The input file is space delimited and i could not use column to get value after "IN" or "OUT" patterns as there could be multiple white spaces before the next digits that i need to print in the output file . I need to print 3 patterns in a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: redse171
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep multiple patterns(file) and replace whole line

I am able to grep multiple patterns which stored in a files. However, how could we replace the whole line with either the pattern or new string? For example: pattern_file: *Info in the () is not part of the pattern file. They are the intended name to replace the whole line after the pattern... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wxboo
5 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep - search a file for a pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Grep searches the input files (standard input default) for lines (with newlines excluded) that match the pattern, a regular expression as defined in regexp(6). Normally, each line matching the pattern is `selected', and each selected line is copied to the standard output. The options are -c Print only a count of matching lines. -h Do not print file name tags (headers) with output lines. -i Ignore alphabetic case distinctions. The implementation folds into lower case all letters in the pattern and input before interpre- tation. Matched lines are printed in their original form. -l (ell) Print the names of files with selected lines; don't print the lines. -L Print the names of files with no selected lines; the converse of -l. -n Mark each printed line with its line number counted in its file. -s Produce no output, but return status. -v Reverse: print lines that do not match the pattern. Output lines are tagged by file name when there is more than one input file. (To force this tagging, include /dev/null as a file name argument.) Care should be taken when using the shell metacharacters $*[^|()= and newline in pattern; it is safest to enclose the entire expression in single quotes '...'. SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/grep.c SEE ALSO
ed(1), awk(1), sed(1), sam(1), regexp(6) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is null if any lines are selected, or non-null when no lines are selected or an error occurs. GREP(1)