Sponsored Content
Special Forums Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions Array element & string variable Post 302424922 by shristi on Wednesday 26th of May 2010 03:22:10 PM
Old 05-26-2010
Array element & string variable

Hello,

I am trying to assign
Code:
$string = $a[0]; #a[0]= 10100

Code:
print " $string"; # showing 10100

I am using this $string as $result = index($string, $char, $offset);

As above, is not capturing binary nos. in following format;
Code:
$string = '10100';

so index is not working.

kindly suggest.

Last edited by Yogesh Sawant; 05-28-2010 at 08:29 AM.. Reason: added code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

accessing my first element of array

Hello everyonel, I have an array set like so num=4 read name arr=name I go through while loop to assign different values to different array element from 1 to 4. when I try to access the FIRST element of the array I get the last one first. Like if I say ${arr} it will show the last element... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: afadaghi
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove an element from an array in PERL

Hello guys, I have the following question. Consider the following code in PERL for($xeAnumber=0; $xeAnumber<@xeAnumber; $xeAnumber++) { if(@xeAnumber==@final_file) { @final_file=@xeTimeStamp; }... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chriss_58
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to check a particular element in a string variable

Hi, I have a string variable containing value say abc123 I want to check if the 3rd element of this string is "c" in a if statement.Actually i dont know the syntax of how to use substring in an if statement in shell script. Please reply soon. Regards Navjot (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: navjotsingh
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shift array element

I want to delete and 0th element of array in shell scrpit and also shift all others to one level up. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: darshakraut
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove an element from array

I need to remove an element from the below array variable TABLENAME. #!/bin/ksh set -A TABLENAME "mirf roxar keke mirs" echo "the array is ${TABLENAME}" If i need to remove say keke and have the final TABLENAME as below, how this could be achieved. Pls throw some light. echo "Modified... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: michaelrozar17
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to assign an array element to a variable

Hi every one.. I'm new to shell scripting... I would like to assign a single array element to a variable... Is it possible to do it.... Could any body help me.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaushik_87
3 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Assigning zero to element of ksh array.

set -A matched #find referenced files. for i in ${file_names_html} do counter_j=0 for j in ${file_names_minus_index} do match=`cat $i | grep... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: robin_simple
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiplying array element

I am trying to take all the elements of an array and multiply them by 2, and then copy them to a new array. Here is what I have i=0 for true in DMGLIST do let DMGSIZES2="${DMGSIZES}"*2 let i++ done unset i echo ${DMGSIZES2} It does the calculation correctly for the first element,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nextyoyoma
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Array Element

This question is for someone that's more familiar with Array Element. I need to know if the maximum array element that can be assigned is 1024 and if its so, Is there a workaround solution when the counter exceeded 1024? param_array="$param_nam" counter=$counter+1 #to avoid space... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cumeh1624
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding an element to a bash array with a variable

Hello, I have a simple task and I am having some trouble with the syntax. I have a variable with an assigned value, CMD_STRING='-L 22 -s 0 -r -O -A i -N 100 -n' I would like to add that variable to an array. As far as I have been able to look up, the syntax should be something like, ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
4 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)