Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Comment a line with SED
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Comment a line with SED Post 302424907 by gubbu on Wednesday 26th of May 2010 02:05:23 PM
Old 05-26-2010
Comment a line with SED

I have around 25 hosts and each hosts has 4 instance of jboss and 4 different ip attached to it . I need to make some changes to the startup scripts. Any tips appreciated. I have total of 100 instances which bind to 100 different ip address based on instance name.

For example
File1
Code:
START="/usr/local/jboss/bin/run.start -c instance1 -b 10.120.1.1"
STOP="/usr/local/jboss/bin/run.stop -c instance1"

File2
Code:
START="/usr/local/jboss/bin/spcrun.start -c instance2 -b 10.120.1.2"
STOP="/usr/local/jboss/bin/spcrun.stop -c instance2"

I need to change it to the following.Changes are addition of ip to second line,change in path and command

File1
Code:
START="/jboss/bin/run.sh -c instance1 -b 10.120.1.1"
STOP="/jboss/bin/run.sh -c instance1" -b 10.120.1.1

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed/awk to insert comment at defined line number

Hi there, may someone easily help me on this : I want to insert a text in a specific line number like : linenumb2start=`cat memory_map.dld | nl -ba | egrep -i "label" | cut -f1` line2insert=`expr $linenumb2start + 2` and now I need to replace something like {} with {comment} at... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: homefp
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Placing a comment at the beginning of a line

Hello - I am running Linux. I want to place a comment char at the beginning of a line in a file. For example: testvar=`grep username /etc/people sed -e 's/$testvar/#$testvar/g' /etc/people I cannot get the above commands to put a comment at the beginning of the line. Any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlike
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to replace a text of line with a comment line

I want to replace this line : "test compare visible] true" and make it "#test compare visible] true". How can I do it ? And it should be checked in many sub folder files also. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.b
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

get rid of xml comment by grep or sed

Hi, I would like to get rid of all comment in an xml file by grep or sed command: The content seem like this: <!-- ab cd ef gh ij kl --> Anyone can help? Thanks and Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RonLii
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help using SED to comment XML elements

I'm trying to write a script to help automate some VERY tedious manual tasks. I have groups of fairly large XML files (~3mb+) that I need to edit. I need to look through the files and parse the XML looking for a certain flag contained in a field. If I find this flag (an integer value) I need... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: J-Hon
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to comment out line in /etc/vfstab

I am running a script remotely to do the following 1. Kill all processes by a user 2. Uninstall certain packages 3. FTP over a new file 4. Kill a ldap process that is not allowing my /devdsk/c0t0d0s7 slice to un-mount 5. Unmount /h 6. comment out the slice in vfstab 7. newfs the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: deaconf19
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed adding/removing comment in crontab

I have a requirement where I want to add a comment '#' in my crontab, run a process, than remove the '#' I added. Example cron #5,10 * * * * ls -lt /tmp 10,5 * * * * ls -lt /var I would like to be able use sed or awk to add a '#' at the begining of each line. After the command... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: BeefStu
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

comment a line of the patterns is a the beginning of the line

I need to comment the lines starting with pattern "exclude" or "exclude=". If the work exclude comes at any other part, ignore it. Also, ignore, excludes, excluded etc. Ie only comment the line starting with exclude. File contents. exclude exclude= hi I am excluded excludes excludes= ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil510
9 Replies

9. AIX

Comment out crontab using sed command

I am trying to comment out the crontab entries using sed. I want to comment it out for a particular environment say '/mypath/scripts/'. Using the full path as pattern, it is working. but using variable it is not working. i have tried double quotes too. but no luck! $ crontab -l ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SKhan
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to comment a specific line of a file?

Hi, I need to comment out (insert # in the front of a line) a line that has entry Defaults requiretty using command-line as I need to do this on hundreds of servers. From Defaults requiretty To #Defaults requiretty I tried something like below but no luck: Please advise,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
3 Replies
getusershell(3C)					   Standard C Library Functions 					  getusershell(3C)

NAME
getusershell, setusershell, endusershell - get legal user shells SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> char *getusershell(void); void setusershell(void); void endusershell(void); DESCRIPTION
The getusershell() function returns a pointer to a legal user shell as defined by the system manager in the file /etc/shells. If /etc/shells does not exist, the following locations of the standard system shells are used in its place: /bin/bash /bin/csh /bin/jsh /bin/ksh /bin/pfcsh /bin/pfksh /bin/pfsh /bin/sh /bin/tcsh /bin/zsh /sbin/jsh /sbin/pfsh /sbin/sh /usr/bin/bash /usr/bin/csh /usr/bin/jsh /usr/bin/ksh /usr/bin/pfcsh /usr/bin/pfksh /usr/bin/pfsh /usr/bin/sh /usr/bin/tcsh /usr/bin/zsh /usr/xpg4/bin/sh The getusershell() function opens the file /etc/shells, if it exists, and returns the next entry in the list of shells. The setusershell() function rewinds the file or the list. The endusershell() function closes the file, frees any memory used by getusershell() and setusershell(), and rewinds the file /etc/shells. RETURN VALUES
The getusershell() function returns a null pointer on EOF. BUGS
All information is contained in memory that may be freed with a call to endusershell(), so it must be copied if it is to be saved. SunOS 5.10 30 Aug 2004 getusershell(3C)