Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Awk command in while loop
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Awk command in while loop Post 302424751 by haaru on Wednesday 26th of May 2010 08:18:11 AM
Old 05-26-2010
Awk command in while loop

Hello!

I've got a loop in which I am processing a list of values gotten through a file with read command.

It seems that instead of processing the lines (values) one by one, I process them all together.

the input file is:

Code:

The code is:

Code:

#!/bin/sh

while read -r Line
do
        STR5="$(awk 'BEGIN {FS = ","} ; {print $1}')"
        if [ "$STR5" = "20" ]; then
                echo "CHOICE A" >> SEN5$1.txt
        elif [ "$STR5" = "70" ]; then
                echo "CHOICE B" >> SEN5$1.txt
        elif [ "$STR5" = "80" ]; then
                echo "CHOICE C" >> SEN5$1.txt
        else
                echo "$STR5" >> SEN5$1.txt
        fi
        echo "$STR5" >> SEN5$1.txt
done < input.txt

and produces the same output as the input file, meaning that the last 'else' statement is validated each time. By testing I have seen that it takes the whole file (all lines) in each iteration.

I have also tested this code:

Code:

while read -r Line
do
awk 'BEGIN {FS = ","} ; { if ($1 = 20) print "CHOICE A"; else if ($1 = 70) print "CHOICE B"; else if ($1 = 80) print "CHOICE C" ; else print $1}' >> SEN5$1.txt
done < input.txt

which returns

Code:

CHOICE A
CHOICE A
CHOICE A
CHOICE A
CHOICE A
CHOICE A
CHOICE A

which propably is due to checking with the 1st value each time.

Any ideas?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparison and editing of files using awk.(And also a possible bug in awk for loop?)

I have two files which I would like to compare and then manipulate in a way. File1: pictures.txt 1.1 1.3 dance.txt 1.2 1.4 treehouse.txt 1.3 1.5 File2: pictures.txt 1.5 ref2313 1.4 ref2345 1.3 ref5432 1.2 ref4244 dance.txt 1.6 ref2342 1.5 ref2352 1.4 ref0695 1.3 ref5738 1.2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: linuxkid
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command in script gives error while same awk command at prompt runs fine: Why?

Hello all, Here is what my bash script does: sums number columns, saves the tot in new column, outputs if tot >= threshold val: > cat getnon0file.sh #!/bin/bash this="getnon0file.sh" USAGE=$this" InFile="xyz.38" Min="0.05" # awk '{sum=0; for(n=2; n<=NF; n++){sum+=$n};... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: catalys
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem Using If & For loop in AWK Command

I am parsing file for the fields using awk command, first i check 26th field for two characters using substr function if it matches then using for loop on array i search 184th field for 4 chars if it matches then i print the required fields but on execution i get the error, please help...... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: siramitsharma
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

For loop, awk command issue

limit.csv data -------------- 5600050 38Nhava 400077 27Bomay rate.txt data ------------- 38NhaVA 27BomaY 27Bomay below is my script: for i in `cat limit.csv` do b=`awk '{print $1}' $i` (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: p_satyambabu
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

If else condition inside for loop of awk command in UNIX shell scripting

Hi , Please excuse me for opening a new thread i am unable to find out the syntax error in my if else condition inside for loop in awk command , my actual aim is to print formatted html td tag when if condition (True) having string as "failed", could anyone please advise what is the right... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikram
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk loop using array:wish to store array values from loop for use outside loop

Here's my code: awk -F '' 'NR==FNR { if (/time/ && $5>10) A=$2" "$3":"$4":"($5-01) else if (/time/ && $5<01) A=$2" "$3":"$4-01":"(59-$5) else if (/time/ && $5<=10) A=$2" "$3":"$4":0"($5-01) else if (/close/) { B=0 n1=n2; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: klane
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk programming -Passing variable to awk for loop

Hi All, I am new to AWK programming. I have the following for loop in my awk program. cat printhtml.awk: BEGIN -------- <some code here> END{ ----------<some code here> for(N=0; N<H; N++) { for(M=5; M<D; M++) print "\t" D ""; } ----- } ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctrld
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use a loop for multiple files in a folder to run awk command?

Dear folks I have two data set which there names are "final.map" and "1.geno" and look like this structures: final.map: gi|358485511|ref|NC_006088.3| 2044 gi|358485511|ref|NC_006088.3| 2048 gi|358485511|ref|NC_006088.3| 2187 gi|358485511|ref|NC_006088.3| 17654 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sajmar
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Loop awk command on files in a folder

Hi, I'd like to loop an action over all files with given extension within a folder. The "main" action is: awk -F "\t" 'BEGIN{OFS="\t"}{if ($10=="S") print$0; }' input.txt > output.txt The input.txt should be every file in the folder with *.subVCF extension; and the output should be a file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dovah
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command with a loop

Dear all, I would be grateful for your help with the following. I have the following file (file.txt), which is about 10,000 lines long: ID1 ID2 0 1 0.5 0.6 ID3 ID4 0 0 0.4 0.8 ID1 ID5 0 1 0.5 0.3 ID6 ID2 1 0 0.4 0.8 The IDs in the first two columns can occur between... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: aberg
12 Replies
foreach(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							foreach(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
foreach - Iterate over all elements in one or more lists SYNOPSIS
foreach varname list body foreach varlist1 list1 ?varlist2 list2 ...? body _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The foreach command implements a loop where the loop variable(s) take on values from one or more lists. In the simplest case there is one loop variable, varname, and one list, list, that is a list of values to assign to varname. The body argument is a Tcl script. For each element of list (in order from first to last), foreach assigns the contents of the element to varname as if the lindex command had been used to extract the element, then calls the Tcl interpreter to execute body. In the general case there can be more than one value list (e.g., list1 and list2), and each value list can be associated with a list of loop variables (e.g., varlist1 and varlist2). During each iteration of the loop the variables of each varlist are assigned consecutive values from the corresponding list. Values in each list are used in order from first to last, and each value is used exactly once. The total number of loop iterations is large enough to use up all the values from all the value lists. If a value list does not contain enough elements for each of its loop variables in each iteration, empty values are used for the missing elements. The break and continue statements may be invoked inside body, with the same effect as in the for command. Foreach returns an empty string. EXAMPLES
The following loop uses i and j as loop variables to iterate over pairs of elements of a single list. set x {} foreach {i j} {a b c d e f} { lappend x $j $i } # The value of x is "b a d c f e" # There are 3 iterations of the loop. The next loop uses i and j to iterate over two lists in parallel. set x {} foreach i {a b c} j {d e f g} { lappend x $i $j } # The value of x is "a d b e c f {} g" # There are 4 iterations of the loop. The two forms are combined in the following example. set x {} foreach i {a b c} {j k} {d e f g} { lappend x $i $j $k } # The value of x is "a d e b f g c {} {}" # There are 3 iterations of the loop. SEE ALSO
for(n), while(n), break(n), continue(n) KEYWORDS
foreach, iteration, list, looping Tcl foreach(n)