Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: perl: help with DBI
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting perl: help with DBI Post 302424496 by hcclnoodles on Tuesday 25th of May 2010 11:27:30 AM
Old 05-25-2010
perl: help with DBI

Hi there, I have a bit of code similar to below (which ive actually got from perldoc, but mine is similar enough)

Code:

$sth = $dbh->prepare(q{ SELECT region, sales FROM sales_by_region });
  $sth->execute;
  my ($region, $sales);

# Bind Perl variables to columns:
  $rv = $sth->bind_columns(\$region, \$sales);

while ($sth->fetch) {
      print "$region: $sales\n";
  }

I wanted to find a way of testing to see if the result set was empty so that within my while loop i could print "sorry, result set is empty\n" instead of just printing nothing (which is what print "$region: $sales\n"; would do as there are no results ...)

how can I add a test for an empty record set into here?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Perl DBI install with gcc compiler

I want to install the Perl DBI module on to my solaris ultra 10. Solaris ultra 10 does not come with a C compiler so I downloaded gcc compiler. Then I ran install as follows: # cd DBI-1.30 # ls blib DBI.xs Driver.xst Perl.c test.pl Changes dbi_sql.h ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: photon
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl DBI - Bind Parameters Problem

I have a SQL statement that includes a UNION that I can't get to work when I bind the parameters. (I am binding the parameters to prevent SQL injection.) Does anybody have any suggestion on how I can use a SQL statement that includes a UNION and bind the params? Code would be something like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mh53j_fe
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL DBI module install

We ran into an issue trying to install DBI and DB2 modules for perl for AIX from the link http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/db2/perl/ We tried to install the DBI module using bash# perl -MCPAN -e 'install DBI' command. However we ended up with the following error. Stop. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl DBI/DBD Module -in cygwin

Hi all, I am trying to install the DBI module in perl using perl -MCPAN -e shell install 'DBI' --It is installing into the nuild directory properly but when it try to make it is saying NOT OK -I tried to copy the module manually to the /lib/perl5/vendor_perl ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jambesh
3 Replies

5. Programming

perl dbi to oracle getting disconnect_all for oracle dbi help

hi i am trying to connect to an oracle database using dbi and i get this :: Driver has not implemented the disconnect_all method. at /opt/perl/lib/site_perl/5.8.0/sun4-solaris/DBI.pm line 575 END failed--call queue aborted. for all i know, the script was working earlier, but has... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: poggendroff
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Installing Perl DBI and DBD

Hi, i have some queries on installing the Perl DBI and the DBD Oracle. I know that i have to install the DBI first. I have the source files in a folder in my home directory.The commands to install arecd /home/DBI Perl Makefile.PL make make installI would like to know, after executing these... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2ss
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl DBI inserting date\time

hi there, my mysql database has a date/time field using the standard mysql date|time format of 2009-08-31 00:16:44 when inserting into this field using perl DBI, is there is an easy way to insert the current date/time in without having to preformat the date/time string in perl before... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

connect to MySQL from Perl using DBI

Hi, I want to connect perl with the mysql to select and so on but the connection don't work code #!/usr/bin/perl BEGIN { # PERL MODULES WE WILL BE USING use DBI; $dbh = DBI->connect('DBI:mysql:C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.0\data\db1','','pass') or die $DBI::errstr;} #... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eng_shimaa
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Perl's DBI Module on OS X - uninstallable?

i've been struggling with installing the Perl DBI & DBD modules all weekend, and I'm getting close, but no cigar as of yet. When I run the perl script db.pl I get the following mismatch error: Mon Apr 19 09:43:29 EDT 2010 /Library/Perl/DBD-mysql-4.011 -> peterv@MBP17.local<515>$: db.pl | tee... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: peterv6
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl DBI error

Hi All, I installed DBI module in a non INC location and using it in my script via "use lib". But it throw the below error at the "use DBI" step. Please help Usage: DBI::_install_method(dbi_class, meth_name, file, attribs=Nullsv) at /xx/xxx/xxxxx/xxxxx/oracle/lib/DBI.pm/oracle/lib/DBI.pm line... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasperl
2 Replies
PDOSTATEMENT.EXECUTE(3) 						 1						   PDOSTATEMENT.EXECUTE(3)

PDOStatement::execute - Executes a prepared statement

SYNOPSIS
public bool PDOStatement::execute ([array $input_parameters]) DESCRIPTION
Execute the prepared statement. If the prepared statement included parameter markers, you must either: ocall PDOStatement.bindParam(3) to bind PHP variables to the parameter markers: bound variables pass their value as input and receive the output value, if any, of their associated parameter markers oor pass an array of input-only parameter values PARAMETERS
o $input_parameters - An array of values with as many elements as there are bound parameters in the SQL statement being executed. All values are treated as PDO::PARAM_STR. You cannot bind multiple values to a single parameter; for example, you cannot bind two values to a single named parameter in an IN() clause. You cannot bind more values than specified; if more keys exist in $input_parameters than in the SQL specified in the PDO::prepare, then the statement will fail and an error is emitted. RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE on success or FALSE on failure. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.2.0 | | | | | | | The keys from $input_parameters must match the | | | ones declared in the SQL. Before PHP 5.2.0 this | | | was silently ignored. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 Execute a prepared statement with bound variables <?php /* Execute a prepared statement by binding PHP variables */ $calories = 150; $colour = 'red'; $sth = $dbh->prepare('SELECT name, colour, calories FROM fruit WHERE calories < :calories AND colour = :colour'); $sth->bindParam(':calories', $calories, PDO::PARAM_INT); $sth->bindParam(':colour', $colour, PDO::PARAM_STR, 12); $sth->execute(); ?> Example #2 Execute a prepared statement with an array of insert values (named parameters) <?php /* Execute a prepared statement by passing an array of insert values */ $calories = 150; $colour = 'red'; $sth = $dbh->prepare('SELECT name, colour, calories FROM fruit WHERE calories < :calories AND colour = :colour'); $sth->execute(array(':calories' => $calories, ':colour' => $colour)); ?> Example #3 Execute a prepared statement with an array of insert values (placeholders) <?php /* Execute a prepared statement by passing an array of insert values */ $calories = 150; $colour = 'red'; $sth = $dbh->prepare('SELECT name, colour, calories FROM fruit WHERE calories < ? AND colour = ?'); $sth->execute(array($calories, $colour)); ?> Example #4 Execute a prepared statement with question mark placeholders <?php /* Execute a prepared statement by binding PHP variables */ $calories = 150; $colour = 'red'; $sth = $dbh->prepare('SELECT name, colour, calories FROM fruit WHERE calories < ? AND colour = ?'); $sth->bindParam(1, $calories, PDO::PARAM_INT); $sth->bindParam(2, $colour, PDO::PARAM_STR, 12); $sth->execute(); ?> Example #5 Execute a prepared statement using array for IN clause <?php /* Execute a prepared statement using an array of values for an IN clause */ $params = array(1, 21, 63, 171); /* Create a string for the parameter placeholders filled to the number of params */ $place_holders = implode(',', array_fill(0, count($params), '?')); /* This prepares the statement with enough unnamed placeholders for every value in our $params array. The values of the $params array are then bound to the placeholders in the prepared statement when the statement is executed. This is not the same thing as using PDOStatement::bindParam() since this requires a reference to the variable. PDOStatement::execute() only binds by value instead. */ $sth = $dbh->prepare("SELECT id, name FROM contacts WHERE id IN ($place_holders)"); $sth->execute($params); ?> NOTES
Note Some drivers require to close cursor before executing next statement. SEE ALSO
PDO.prepare(3), PDOStatement.bindParam(3), PDOStatement.fetch(3), PDOStatement.fetchAll(3), PDOStatement.fetchColumn(3). PHP Documentation Group PDOSTATEMENT.EXECUTE(3)