Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? What would you do with a Acer TravelMate 512DX Post 302423942 by bakunin on Sunday 23rd of May 2010 06:28:15 PM
Old 05-23-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xethron
bakunin, I heard you could install a antivirus on Unix that checks windows viruses. Dunno if this little processor can handle something like that thou...
Hmm, i don't know what you are talking about: there is an antivirus product based on Linux (that is: a bootable CD with a Live sysstem with some antivirus software), which is called Knoppix. You can freely download it, but it is not scanning online. It is designed to boot up a system from a non-compromisable source (CD) and scan it.

Probably you mean some firewall with so-called "stateful inspection". Basically it is decoding the datastreams it routes and allows/forbids certain things based on rules. While a normal firewall would, for instance, allow telnet sessions to a certain host a stateful-inspection firewall would be able to allow telnet to this host, but forbid a certain command to be issued.

Quote:
Was wondering if this lil processor could handle the firewall with a squid proxy server and router. Coz this is what I understand would be a great setup...
Probably it would, because - depending on the amount of IP traffic - the tax on the processor is pretty small. Every firewall, btw., is already a router, since a firewall works on Layer 4, while a router works on Layer 3.

Have fun building this and be sure to tell us what finally worked and what you did to make it work.

bakunin

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

fedora core 6 not supported for acer lcd monitor

hi all i brought a new acer 17" widescreen lcd monitor . fedora core linux 6 in not displaying on the monitor . giving a error input not supported please let me know wht i can do (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nageshrk
1 Replies

2. Linux

install vlc on acer aspire one linpus linux

hello friends i have tried follwoing the instructions efore you proceed to install VLC you may want remove the pre-installed media players. sudo yum remove pdvdlinux mplayer\* sed /pcmmvp/d -i $HOME/.config/xfce4/desktop/group-app.xml To install VLC just add both repositories and use... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: garethsays
0 Replies

3. Hardware

Figuring out if Ubuntu will work (completely) with an Acer One (w/ AMD fusion chips)

Hi, I am trying to buy a netbook with Ubuntu pre-installed. I have looked for hours and have not found anything. Calls to Dell, HP, Toshiba have confirmed them NOT selling Ubuntu preloaded laptops. This leads me to look for a netbook that can handle Ubuntu. Getting to the point... I think I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mearex
4 Replies

4. Hardware

Problem with Broadcom BCM43225 wifi interface on an Acer Aspire laptop

Hi This is a question about Broadcom BCM43225 wifi interface on an Acer Aspire laptop I just had a fresh install of ubuntu 16.04 on my acer aspire laptop and I am having a difficult issue with my wifi connection. Every time I restart my laptop I get the wifi connection working, but after a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: faizlo
0 Replies
MASON(1)																  MASON(1)

NAME
mason - interactively create a firewall SYNOPSIS
mason < logfile > rulefile DESCRIPTION
This manual page briefly documents the mason command. mason interactively generates a set of firewall rules for a Linux-based firewall. This is done by turning on full IP logging, watching the logs for connections, and generating rules describing the connections seen. mason is familiar with most of the quirks of various connec- tion types (such as ftp and IRC), and can output rules for 2.0.x ipfwadm, 2.2.x ipchains, and Cisco packet filters. mason operates by reading in log file information from standard input and writing firewall rules to standard output. This allows mason to work offline or on a separate system. Real-time firewall generation can be achieved with a command like tail(1). Most users will want to run mason with a user-friendly interface such as mason-gui-text(1). ENVIRONMENT
mason is configured using the following environment variables. ECHOCOMMAND Sets the type of firewall rules that mason should output to standard out. Allowed values include "ipfwadm" and "ipchains". By default, mason outputs whatever kind of rules are supported by the currently running Linux kernel. DOCOMMAND Sets the type of firewall rules that mason should run immediately when a rule is generated. Allowed values include "ipfwadm" and "ipchains". By default, mason outputs whatever kind of rules are supported by the currently running Linux kernel. HEARTBEAT If set to "yes", mason will output a "+" or "-" to standard error whenever a rule generated by mason has been triggered. DYNIP Set this to the list of interfaces that have dynamically assigned addresses, separated by spaces. SEE ALSO
mason-gui-text(1) AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Jeff Licquia <jeff@luci.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). MASON(1)