Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Save output in a variable
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Save output in a variable Post 302423920 by fpmurphy on Sunday 23rd of May 2010 09:38:21 AM
Old 05-23-2010
Ah, you revealed a very important fact, i.e. that you are using the C shell. The syntax for csh is very different than that for bash.

Try the following:
Code:
set output = `/usr/bin/myTool`
echo $output

If you want to save output to a file the syntax is
Code:
/usr/bin/myTool >& output.txt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

topas -P save output

hi i have server monitor script which totally depends upon the output of TOP which works fine on HP. now i am told to put same script on aix i found that topas -P produces same output but it doesnt redirect output to file i have to kill/terminate it. is there any other way to this. as the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: zedex
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command display output on console and simultaneously save the command and its output

Hi folks, Please advise which command/command line shall I run; 1) to display the command and its output on console 2) simultaneous to save the command and its output on a file I tried tee command as follows; $ ps aux | grep mysql | tee /path/to/output.txt It displayed the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: satimis
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

to save output of a command in hash variable

Hi all, is it possible to save the output of a unix command executed in perl to be saved in hash variable.. like i have the command `find $mypath ! -user mainuser -printf \"\%u \%h\\n\"`; this will print all the users other than mainuser with their paths. so is possible to capture... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saapa
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Save cURL verbose output to file or do it like browser "save as.."

hi there ! i have exactly the same problem like this guy here https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/127668-getting-curl-output-verbose-file.html i am not able to save the curl verbose output.. the sollution in this thread (redirecting stderr to a file) does not work for me.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: crabmeat
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to save an output of a command in a variable

Hi, in shell script, i have the command swstart -p which returns an output. i want to store the output of this command into a variable. how i can do that excerpt from the script #!/usr/bin/ksh # # # # Program: swstart -p # # Description: Starts the sentinels on Slave server ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lookinginfo
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how can save output?

I make shell script by use "if" statement, what should add it to shell script save which I enter it in output file txt? ---------- Post updated at 08:27 AM ---------- Previous update was at 05:59 AM ---------- I mean like this echo "enter your name" read name # now i when start... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Oman_Member
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solved: how to save an output to a variable

i want to save the output of /scripts/whoowns domain.com to a username like $user = /scripts/whoowns domain.com but I'm not sure how to do that This is inside a bash script how can I get the output of /scripts/whoowns then save that to a variable? thanks! ---------- Post updated at... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanessafan99
0 Replies

8. Programming

Save output in text C++

Hi , i want to save the output of my c ++ code to a text file which is in a particular path : this is part of my code and I dunno where I am doing it wrong do { for( int i = 0; i < l; ++i ) { std::cout << 1 + k * i + index << ' '; } ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siya@
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I save the result in a variable

I have friends that this command worked perfectly, but I would like to save the result in a variable, which I have not achieved var=prueba.txt echo $var | cut -d "." -f 1 prueba I need to do this but does not work me salida=echo $var | cut -d "." -f 1 echo "result:$salida" ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricampeon81
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Save value from output of Corestat and save in a list for each core

I am trying to modify the "corestat v1.1" code which is in Perl.The typical output of this code is below: Core Utilization CoreId %Usr %Sys %Total ------ ----- ----- ------ 5 4.91 0.01 4.92 6 0.06 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zam_1234
0 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [-c COMMAND] [-f] [-q] [-t] [file] DESCRIPTION
Script makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. Options: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -c COMMAND Run the COMMAND rather than an interactive shell. This makes it easy for a script to capture the output of a program that behaves differently when its stdout is not a tty. -f Flush output after each write. This is nice for telecooperation: One person does `mkfifo foo; script -f foo' and another can super- vise real-time what is being done using `cat foo'. -q Be quiet. -t Output timing data to standard error. This data contains two fields, separated by a space. The first field indicates how much time elapsed since the previous output. The second field indicates how many characters were output this time. This information can be used to replay typescripts with realistic typing and output delays. The script ends when the forked shell exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. Script works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen, the results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism), scriptreplay(1). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
Script places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. AVAILABILITY
The script command is part of the util-linux-ng package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux-ng/. Linux July 30, 2000 Linux