Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Challenging Awk array problem Post 302423727 by polsum on Friday 21st of May 2010 11:34:08 PM
Old 05-22-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by alister
What do you mean you should not type "paste"? Or that you should not use \\n? "paste" is the name of the command. You must type it. "\\n" is an option argument to paste that tells it to use a newline when merging the two files; it is crucial that it is used. You should enter the code exactly as posted: "paste -d\\n file1 file2 | awk....". If the data files aren't named file1 and file2, then change the filenames to point to the correct locations, but nothing else.
I tried pasting the code exactly, but it says the command paste is not recognized as external or internal command. Then I changed the single quotes to double quotes and that message wont show up, but i get the same s=$11^unexpected newline error.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A Challenging Situation : i hope the moderators will respond to this problem..

I have the following situation : i have 4 Unix Sco servers, one Windows 2000 server, and an ADSL internet connection. All the servers, that is the 4 unix and the windows server have real static IPs supplied by my ISP. the servers are connected to a Switch , the switch is connected to an... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BAM
2 Replies

2. Programming

A challenging problem involving symbolic links.

Hello, I'm working on an application that bridges together several applications involved in creating a video workflow for editing with digital cinema cameras. The main platform is MacOSX. Because of the nature of some of the utilities for working with this video footage I must spoof filenames... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ibloom
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Very Challenging Problem. Please read fully.

Hi, This is the Third thread i'm putting here for the same problem. :( Actually, i'm trying a script like this.. but its taking a long time.. about 3 days to complete fully.. #!/bin/ksh if then exit 1 fi while read i do while read j do field7=`echo $j|cut -d "|"... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: RRVARMA
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk array problem

hi i am trying to perform some calculations with awk and arrays. i have this so far: awk 'NR==FNR{ for(i=1; i<=NF; i++) {array+=$i} tot++;next} {for(i=1; i<=NF; i++) {avg=array/tot} {diff=(array - avg)}} {for(i=1; i<=NF; i++) {printf("%5.8f\n",diff)}}' "$count".txt "$count".ttt >... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with lookup values on AWK associative array

I'm at wits end with this issue and my troubleshooting leads me to believe it is a problem with the file formatting of the array referenced by my script: awk -F, '{if (NR==FNR) {a=$4","$3","$2}\ else {print a "," $0}}' WBTSassignments1.txt RNCalarms.tmp On the WBTSassignments1.txt file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JasonHamm
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK Array problem

Dear All, I am facing problem to get right output through awk program I have file in which “B” value is appearing multiple time and I need to capture all these values. My script is BEGIN { FS=" " } { if ( substr($1,1,5) == "START" ) { i =... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arvindng
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk array problem

Hi, Im trying to count bats flying through an infrared beam array. One of the experts here helped me a few months ago but now I am having a problem that is stumping me. here is the original code that works (with two differnt patterns in array): # this has been changed to operate under the... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmp260
15 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk array problem

I am trying to map values in the input file, where 2nd column depends on the specific value in the 1st column. When 1st column is A place 1 into 2nd column, when it is B, place 2, when C place 3, otherwise no change. My input: U |100|MAIN ST |CLMN1|1 A |200|GREEN LN |CLMN2|2 1 |12... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: migurus
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with awk array when loading from shell variable

Hi, I have a problem with awk array when iam trying to use awk in solaris box as below..Iam unable to figure out the problem.. Need your help. is there any alternative to make it in arrays from variable values nawk 'BEGIN {SUBSEP=" "; split("101880|110045 101887|110045 101896|110045... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cskumar
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Index problem in associate array in awk

I am trying to reformat the table by filling any missing rows. The final table will have consecutive IDs in the first column. My problem is the index of the associate array in the awk script. infile: S01 36407 53706 88540 S02 69343 87098 87316 S03 50133 59721 107923... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
4 Replies
paste(1)						      General Commands Manual							  paste(1)

NAME
paste - merge same lines of several files or subsequent lines of one file SYNOPSIS
file1 file2 ... list file1 file2 ... list] file1 file2 ... DESCRIPTION
In the first two forms, concatenates corresponding lines of the given input files file1, file2, etc. It treats each file as a column or columns in a table and pastes them together horizontally (parallel merging). In other words, it is the horizontal counterpart of cat(1) which concatenates vertically; i.e., one file after the other. In the option form above, replaces the function of an older command with the same name by combining subsequent lines of the input file (serial merging). In all cases, lines are glued together with the tab char- acter, or with characters from an optionally specified list. Output is to standard output, so can be used as the start of a pipe, or as a filter if is used instead of a file name. recognizes the following options and command-line arguments: Without this option, the new-line characters of all but the last file (or last line in case of the option) are replaced by a tab character. This option allows replac- ing the tab character by one or more alternate characters (see below). list One or more characters immediately following replace the default tab as the line concatenation character. The list is used circularly; i.e., when exhausted, it is reused. In parallel merging (that is, no option), the lines from the last file are always terminated with a new-line character, not from the list. The list can contain the special escape sequences: (new-line), (tab), (backslash), and (empty string, not a null character). Quoting may be necessary if charac- ters have special meaning to the shell. (For example, to get one backslash, use ). Merge subsequent lines rather than one from each input file. Use tab for concatenation, unless a list is specified with the option. Regardless of the list, the very last character of the file is forced to be a new-line. Can be used in place of any file name to read a line from the standard input (there is no prompting). EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the locale for the interpretation of text as single- and/or multi-byte characters. determines the language in which messages are displayed. If or is not specified in the environment or is set to the empty string, the value of is used as a default for each unspecified or empty variable. If is not specified or is set to the empty string, a default of "C" (see lang(5)) is used instead of If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, behaves as if all internationalization variables are set to "C". See environ(5). International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. RETURN VALUE
These commands return the following values upon completion: Completed successfully. An error occurred. EXAMPLES
List directory in one column: List directory in four columns Combine pairs of lines into lines Notes works similarly, but creates extra blanks, tabs and new-lines for a nice page layout. DIAGNOSTICS
Except for the option, no more than - 3 input files can be specified (see limits(5)). AUTHOR
was developed by OSF and HP. SEE ALSO
cut(1), grep(1), pr(1). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
paste(1)