Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Passing options into a script Post 302423181 by pludi on Thursday 20th of May 2010 10:07:03 AM
Old 05-20-2010
That's because getopts uses only single-character options. Anything other than a colon and the question mark are interpreted as a single option character.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Handeling multiple options in script

i need to be able to handel if multiple commands are passed into my script. (ie) -f -r -i . does anyone know a simple solution to handeling this. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: virus_stinger
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing options to a bash script

I'm just not sure where to start looking into this. I want to be able to create switches for my script. Back in the day I'd make my scripts interactive...you know: echo "what report do you want" echo "A)boxes with errors" echo "B)boxes with more than 5 errors" echo "C)Service groups that have... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding options to a shell script

I want to add options to my shell script but having problems, my code so far is; #!/bin/bash lflag= iflag= while getopts 'l:i:' OPTION do case $OPTION in l) lflag=1 lval="$OPTARG" ;;... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: paulobrad
1 Replies

4. Solaris

How to run a script with options

I have a script name as psin_install_i3fp.sh I need to run this script like ./psin_install_i3fp.sh step2 What this step2 represents? my script contains data: #!/bin/ksh mkdir logs >> /dev/null 2>&1 ./infra/bin/psin_stop_ba.sh mv ./psin_start_ba.sh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmrajesh21
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with options and arguments to a script

I'm trying to write a script that accepts both arguments and options, e.g. ./script -h 1 -m 15 -s 30 or ./script -h 1 -m 15 -s 30 I'd like for any of the arguments and options to be optional, and the option values should be numerals only. I've tried both getopt and getopts but I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ilja
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[solved] Script creation (how to include options in the script)

Hi guys i have written a script which takes the options given to him and execute itself accordingly. for example if a script name is doctortux then executing doctortux without option should made doctortux to be executed in automatic mode i.e. doctortux -a or if a doctortux is needed to run in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script options

one thing i was trying to figure out is if you can give people the option to choose what they want to do in a shell script. for example, let's just say that you have a simple shell script to install a couple of programs, can you make it to where you can press a certain key to install a certain... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hotshot247
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing new options to a running command

I was just wondering if there is a way to pass an new option or argument to an already running command or program. Let us say you run "zenity --list <options>" and you like to add a title or change the title you used on it while it is already running, is it possible to do that? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cryogrid
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Script to iterate over several options

Have two 3 files which has list of servers,users and location and base url which is common on every server A = server1 server2 server3 B = user1 user2 user3 C = dom1 dom2 dom3 baseurl=/opt/SP/ and what i have to achieve is below via ssh from REMOTE SERVER for it's first iteration it... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhaydas
7 Replies
uudemon(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							uudemon(4)

NAME
uudemon.admin, uudemon.cleanu, uudemon.hour, uudemon.poll - Administrative shell scripts for polling remote systems, cleaning up spool directories, reporting status to the system administrator, and routine invocations of the uuxqt and uusched daemons SYNOPSIS
These shell scripts reside in the following directory: /usr/lib/uucp DESCRIPTION
All the scripts can be run from the command line or can be run automatically by the cron daemon. To automatically run the scripts, remove the comment character (#) from the beginning of the relevant line in the /var/spool/cron/crontabs/uucp file. This script reports status to the system administrator. It issues the uustat command to find out the status of uucp jobs. It mails the results to the uucp login ID. The script may be modified to send mail to any login ID such as the uucp administrative login ID (uucpa) or root. This script cleans up the /var/spool/uucp and /var/spool/uucppublic directories by running the uucleanup command. The uucleanup com- mand is run with the following parameters: -C7, -D7, X2, -o2, -W1. This script runs the uusched and uuxqt daemons in the background. This script polls the systems listed in the /usr/lib/uucp/Poll file. The uudemon.poll script should be scheduled before the uudemon.hour script. This allows uudemon.poll to create any command files before cron runs the uudemon.hour script. FILES
Contains the uudemon.admin, uudemon.cleanu, uudemon.hour and uudemon.poll files. Contains the uucp file. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: cron(8), uucleanup(8), uusched(8), uuxqt(1) Files: /usr/lib/uucp delim off uudemon(4)