Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Facing problem in incrementing the variable Post 302423162 by pseudocoder on Thursday 20th of May 2010 09:24:44 AM
Old 05-20-2010
Can you please try this code alone and let me know what is its ouptut:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

i=0
VAR=10

while [ $i -lt $VAR ]
do
i=$(($i+1))
echo $i
done

If it works then there's probably another error in you script (please post your complete script in this case), else you work with a non-posix sh or something.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Incrementing the date stored in the variable

Hi all, I have a variable with date as 20080831 . Now I want to increment it as 20080901 and so on.Is there any command for this. Please help me. thanks rameez (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rameezrajas
1 Replies

2. Programming

Interesting Problem About Incrementing ++

Here is my code: int startingPort = 200; string tempPort; stringstream out; out<<startingPort; tempPort = out.str(); //tempPort carries startingPort in string format //convert tempPort to *char - currentPort going to be passed into getaddrinfo() char currentPort;... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: f.ben.isaac
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Incrementing a variable is not happening

Hi All, Iam trying to increment a variable Following is the code #!/usr/bin/ksh i=1; i='expr $i+1'; echo $i; Output: expr $i+1 not able to understand why its happening in that way i was expecting result as 2... if the above method is worng .. can you help how i can get... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiranlalka
3 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

Incrementing Variable resets outside of while loop

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Variable is resetting to 0 after incrementing in while loop My bit of scripting displays the current users logged in the machine. Then it reads in a specific username and displays the processes for that user. The portion that I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ratzlaff
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Incrementing Variable Names

Hi, I am using BASH. I have encountered a situation where the following is necessary (but I am not sure how to do it): #Define multiple arrays, whose names only differ by a number: ARRAY_1=(1 2 3) ARRAY_2=(4 5 6) ARRAY_3=(7 8 9) #Define ARRAY_AMOUNT, the number of arrays. In this case... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: msb65
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Incrementing variable in for

Hi, want to increment a variable in a for loop like this: for (( c=$total-1; c>=0; c-- )) do if ; then maximo=$valores fi done But it gives the error: No such file or directory How can i do this only incrementing the c variable? Thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: limadario
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK SCRIPT HELP : INCREMENTING PROBLEM

Hi Guys , I am having one command file like this FILE1 ################################ awk '/output/ {a=$2} {for(i=1;i<=NF;i++) { gsub("i1", i) ; gsub("i2",++i) ; gsub("P1", p) }}1' output >> out9 awk '/output/ {a=$2} {for(i=1;i<=NF;i++) { gsub("i1", i) ;... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaita
2 Replies

8. AIX

facing problem using su

Hi, I am able to login using su - or su directly , # prompt is coming, it doesnt ask for password. any normal user on aix system is login using su - or su . Please suggest where to change the configuration direct root login is disabled in /etc/ssh/sshd_config file. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

incrementing the variable name along with the data?

Hello folks. I am trying to increment my variable names to match a counter that is to be used later on... Basically, i have a for loop that lists directories (for example TEST_OS DVP_OS PROD_OS ) but this loop is not static, it may contain 3 directory once and the next run 5 directories. I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stephan
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing specific and incrementing lines of text from file via variable

This is part of a larger script where I need to pass only 1 line of a file to the script, based on a variable and not a direct reference. As part of a for loop : # for((line=0;line<50;line++)); do # awk ‘NR==$line' PhraseList.txt; done ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Seth
5 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [-k] [-q] [-t time] [file [command ...]] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. If the argument command ... is given, script will run the specified command with an optional argument vector instead of an interactive shell. Options: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -k Log keys sent to program as well as output. -q Run in quiet mode, omit the start and stop status messages. -t time Specify time interval between flushing script output file. A value of 0 causes script to flush for every character I/O event. The default interval is 30 seconds. The script ends when the forked shell (or command) exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. The script utility works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen. The results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal, not an addressable one. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
The script utility places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. It is not possible to specify a command without also naming the script file because of argument parsing compatibility issues. When running in -k mode, echo cancelling is far from ideal. The slave terminal mode is checked for ECHO mode to check when to avoid manual echo logging. This does not work when in a raw mode where the program being run is doing manual echo. BSD
June 6, 1993 BSD