Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Append stderr
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Append stderr Post 302423161 by canduc17 on Thursday 20th of May 2010 09:23:30 AM
Old 05-20-2010
Thank you so much scottn!
Now my script works as I wanted to and I have definetely better understood bash redirection.

I've reimplemented your last example in a way more similar to my case: instead of producing strings on stdout and stderr with bash, I produce them with a C program, then executed by a script.

Here's the C prog:
Code:
#include <stdio.h>
#include <unistd.h>

int main()
{
    int i;

for(i=0; i<3; i++)
    {
        fprintf(stdout, "This is message n. %d on the standard output\n", i);
        fprintf(stderr, "This is message n. %d on the standard error\n", i);
        sleep(1);
    }

return 0;
}

After the compilation, I have executed it with the following script:
Code:
#!/bin/bash

COMMAND="stdoutAndstderr"
OUTLOG="stdout.log"
ERRLOG="stderr.log"

log()
{
    while read LINE; do
        echo "$(date +"%D %T") - ${LINE}" >> ${ERRLOG}
    done
}

$(pwd)/${COMMAND} 2>&1 >> ${OUTLOG} | log

echo "${OUTLOG}:"
cat ${OUTLOG}
echo ""
echo "${ERRLOG}:"
cat ${ERRLOG}

exit 0

And the output is
Code:
 $ ./stdoutAndstderr.sh
stdout.log:
This is message n. 0 on the standard output
This is message n. 1 on the standard output
This is message n. 2 on the standard output

stderr.log:
05/20/10 15:18:52 - This is message n. 0 on the standard error
05/20/10 15:18:53 - This is message n. 1 on the standard error
05/20/10 15:18:54 - This is message n. 2 on the standard error

Hope to be helpful for someone!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

stderr

in fprint(stderr, "lkjalsdi\n"); what does stderr mean? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dell9
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

stderr redirection

Does anyone know away of redirecting the stderr for a bourne or korn shell script to a file. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: blakmk
5 Replies

3. Programming

stderr in background process

Herez the question, In a process which writes into file FILE1 with descriptor fHandler1 and it is run as a background process where would statements be directed when stderr descriptor is used. fprintf(stderr,"some message\n"); assume that session from which it is run is terminated and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

STDERR output

Hi, Need some help here on a script I'm writing. I know that STDERR is normally done is this manner: script 2>stderr.out However, if I wanted to output the stderr from a rsh command how do I do that? Example: su - username -c "rsh $hostname /opt/gilberteu/scriptname" 1>stdout... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gilberteu
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can I pipe stderr to another process

Hi there, I was wondering if it was possible to pipe stderr to another process. I need to eval commands given as arguments and I would like to redirect stderr to another process. I can redirect stderr to a file like this... toto:~$ command="one=1" toto:~$ eval $command 2> error toto:~$... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

stderr/stdout

Can somebody explain to me why the diff output is not going to stderr? Yet when I issue a diff from the command line the return code is -ne 1. I am guessing diff always writes to stdout??? Is there away I can force the difff to write to stderr USING THE CURRENT template. If possible, I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: BeefStu
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to get stderr

Hello I try to store stderr into a variable, then if this var is not empty i send an email and stop my script. I think my problem is due of "<$dump" into my command line. my bad command line (see samples below on this post) if ! $returnedStr ; then echo ERROR READING DUMP: ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: giova
8 Replies

8. Solaris

can't get stderr port

Hi Experts, i have a solaris 9 OS and i get the following message repeated many time in my /var/adm/messages : Oct 31 16:30:44 baobab rsh: can't get stderr port: Cannot assign requested address have you any idea how can i resolve this issue ??:confused: thanks for help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lid-j-one
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - proper way to append variable to stderr

Hello, Can you please if the bellow is the proper way of appending a variable to the stderr: The easiest way to test this,I was able to imagine, was by touching 5 files and afterwards looping trough to the results: -rw-r--r-- 1 ab owner 0 Sep 14 13:45 file1 -rw-r--r-- 1 ab owner 0 Sep... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex2005
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Doubt regarding stderr

Hi All, I am writing a shell script code. and i want the stderr to be send to a file and the stdout to be displayed in terminal. In my shell script code i use a read command to get data from user.read -r -p "Enter the type :" data and while i execute my script i use./my_script.sh 2>... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vinoth R
4 Replies
SYSTEMD-CAT(1)							    systemd-cat 						    SYSTEMD-CAT(1)

NAME
systemd-cat - Connect a pipeline or program's output with the journal SYNOPSIS
systemd-cat [OPTIONS...] [COMMAND] [ARGUMENTS...] systemd-cat [OPTIONS...] DESCRIPTION
systemd-cat may be used to connect the standard input and output of a process to the journal, or as a filter tool in a shell pipeline to pass the output the previous pipeline element generates to the journal. If no parameter is passed, systemd-cat will write everything it reads from standard input (stdin) to the journal. If parameters are passed, they are executed as command line with standard output (stdout) and standard error output (stderr) connected to the journal, so that all it writes is stored in the journal. OPTIONS
The following options are understood: -h, --help Print a short help text and exit. --version Print a short version string and exit. -t, --identifier= Specify a short string that is used to identify the logging tool. If not specified, no identification string is written to the journal. -p, --priority= Specify the default priority level for the logged messages. Pass one of "emerg", "alert", "crit", "err", "warning", "notice", "info", "debug", or a value between 0 and 7 (corresponding to the same named levels). These priority values are the same as defined by syslog(3). Defaults to "info". Note that this simply controls the default, individual lines may be logged with different levels if they are prefixed accordingly. For details, see --level-prefix= below. --level-prefix= Controls whether lines read are parsed for syslog priority level prefixes. If enabled (the default), a line prefixed with a priority prefix such as "<5>" is logged at priority 5 ("notice"), and similar for the other priority levels. Takes a boolean argument. EXIT STATUS
On success, 0 is returned, a non-zero failure code otherwise. EXAMPLES
Example 1. Invoke a program This calls /bin/ls with standard output and error connected to the journal: # systemd-cat ls Example 2. Usage in a shell pipeline This builds a shell pipeline also invoking /bin/ls and writes the output it generates to the journal: # ls | systemd-cat Even though the two examples have very similar effects the first is preferable since only one process is running at a time, and both stdout and stderr are captured while in the second example, only stdout is captured. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemctl(1), logger(1) systemd 237 SYSTEMD-CAT(1)