Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting No Syntax Error and No Output Post 302423123 by Scott on Thursday 20th of May 2010 08:18:58 AM
Old 05-20-2010
Hi.

As Franklin asked, can you post some of ./temp?

My "who" command outputs four fields, but you're using 14:

Code:
            datetemp=$(echo $line | cut -d" " -f13)
            adrstemp=$(echo $line | cut -d" " -f14)

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk Shell Script error : "Syntax Error : `Split' unexpected

hi there i write one awk script file in shell programing the code is related to dd/mm/yy to month, day year format but i get an error please can anybody help me out in this problem ?????? i give my code here including error awk ` # date-month -- convert mm/dd/yy to month day,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Herry
2 Replies

2. AIX

nim mksysb error :/usr/bin/savevg[33]: 1016,07: syntax error

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hello, help me please. I am trying to create a mksysb bakup using nim. I am geting this error, how to correct it ? : Command : failed stdout: yes stderr: no... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: astjen
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Receiving error: ./ang.ksh[35]: 0403-057 Syntax error at line 116 : `done' is not expected.

Hi All I am quite new to Unix. Following is a shell script that i have written and getting the subject mentioned error. #!/bin/ksh #------------------------------------------------------------------------- # File: ang_stdnld.ksh # # Desc: UNIX shell script to extract Store information.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitsinha
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for a syntax output for a table.

Hello Unix Gurus, I need a few instuructions how to approach the following scenarios.For a given TABLENAME a script should display the following structure on the screen.The structure should be as below.for a given perticular table. SELECT *FROM TAB1 a JOIN TAB1 b ON ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kanakaraju
0 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

Syntax for output filenames

Hello to everybody... I have spent very long time on this before I decided to sign up in this forum. Maybe I've just not used the right keywords. I have to say that I'm not a programmer or something like that... I've been playin' around a little with ImageMagick and I would like to have... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pixelanstalt
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with print append to output file syntax

I'm trying to output the contents of the infile to the outfile using Append. I will want to use append but the syntax doesn't seem to be working ! Input file (called a.txt) contains this: a a a b b b I'm running shell script (called k.sh) from Unix command-line like this: ./k.sh .... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: script_op2a
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk syntax mistake doubles desired output

I am trying to add a line to a BASH shell script to print out a large variable length table on a web page. I am very new to this obviously, but I tried this with awk and it prints out every line twice. What I am doing wrong? echo "1^2^3%4^5^6%7^8^9%" | awk 'BEGIN { RS="%"; FS="^"; } {for (i =... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: awknewb123
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dot and redirected output syntax in a tar command

Hi All, Please could anyone advise what the purpose of the dot syntax in the following command means: tar -cvf ${WORKING_BACKUP_ROOT}/${TAR_ARCHIVE_FILE} . >/${BACKUP_ROOT}/${ARCHIVE_LOG} Many thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: daveu7
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

IF section problem. syntax error: unexpected end of file error

Hello, I have another problem with my script. Please accept my apologies, but I am really nooby in sh scripts. I am writing it for first time. My script: returned=`tail -50 SapLogs.log | grep -i "Error"` echo $returned if ; then echo "There is no errors in the logs" fi And after... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jedzio
10 Replies
line(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   line(1)

NAME
line - Reads one line from standard input SYNOPSIS
line STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: line: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
None DESCRIPTION
The line command copies one line, up to and including a newline, from standard input and writes it to standard output. Use this command within a shell command file to read from your terminal. The line command always writes at least a newline character. NOTES
The line utility has no internationalization features and is marked LEGACY in XCU Issue 5. Use the read utility instead. EXIT STATUS
Success. End-of-File. EXAMPLES
To read a line from the keyboard and append it to a file, enter: echo 'Enter comments for the log:' echo ': c' line >>log This shell procedure displays the message: Enter comments for the log: It then reads a line of text from the keyboard and adds it to the end of the file log. The echo ': c' command displays a : (colon) prompt. See the echo command for information about the c escape sequence. SEE ALSO
Commands: echo(1), ksh(1), read(1), Bourne shell sh(1b), POSIX shell sh(1p) Functions: read(2) Standards: standards(5) line(1)