Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to cut specific line and one line under? Post 302423099 by nir_s on Thursday 20th of May 2010 07:11:11 AM
Old 05-20-2010
Thanks for both of you!
Franklin52 - your command runs perfectly!
zaxxon - I got the following error when I ran your suggestion:
Code:
{oracle} /app01/oracle/admin/dwprod/bdump C3PO-PROD> sed '/Beginning log switch checkpoint up to RBA/!d;n;!d' alert_dwprod.log
d: Event not found.

Best regards,
Nir

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting Characters at specific position in a line if the line is certain length

I've got a file that would have lines similar to: 12345678 x.00 xx.00 x.00 xxx.00 xx.00 xx.00 xx.00 23456781 x.00 xx.00 xx.00 xx.00 xx.00 x.00 xxx.00 xx.00 xx.00 xx.00 34567812 x.00 xx.00 x.00 xxx.00 xx.00 xx.00 xx.00 45678123 x.00 xx.00 xx.00 xx.00 xx.00 x.00 xxx.00 xx.00 xx.00 xx.00 xx.00... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cailet
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

To cut a specific line

Hi, I need to remove a specific line from a file.. For eg: From the html codings, I need to find the word "iframe frameborder" and cut it . I tried with find . -type f -exec grep -H 'iframe frameborder' {} \; > <filename> From the output of this result, I need to remove the "iframe... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsiva
14 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut a string in a textfile line per line

i need to cut the string in a textfile but each line has a specific way of cutting it (different lengths) i have a for loop that gets the string line per line, then each line has to be compared: for x in `cat tmp2.txt`; do if; then echo 'BAC' elif ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: izuma
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to cut first line only from a text near a specific column without cutting a word

First I have to say thank you to this community and this forum. You helped me very much builing several useful scripts. Now, I can't get a solution the following problem, I'm stuck somehow. Maybe someone has an idea. In short, I dump a site via lynx and pipe the output in a file. I need to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk to read a specific line and a specific field on that line.

Say the input was as follows: Brat 20 x 1000 32rf Pour 15 p 1621 05pr Dart 10 z 1111 22xx My program prompts for an input, what I want is to use the input to locate a specific field. Like if I type in, "Pou" then it would return "Pour" and just "Pour" I currently have this line but it is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bungkai
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk, cut, to extract specific data from line

Hi guys, I have been trying to do this, but... no luck so maybe you can help me. I have a line like this: Total Handled, Received, on queue Input Mgs: 140 / 14 => 0 I need to, get the number after the / until the =, to get only 14 . Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ocramas
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Commenting a specific line and inserting a new line after commented line.

Hello All, I have following file contents cat file #line=aaaaaa #line=bbbbbb #line=cccccc #line=dddddd line=eeeeee #comment=11111 #comment=22222 #comment=33333 #comment=44444 comment=55555 Testing script Good Luck! I would like to comment line line=eeeeee and insert a new line... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: manishdivs
19 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut from specific line number to a line number

Hi All, I've a file like this.. Sheet1 a,1 a,2 a,3 a,4 a,5 Sheet2 a,6 a,7 a,8 a,9 a,10 Sheet3 a,11 a,12 a,13 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: manab86
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace a line at a specific line number with some other line

my requirement is, consider a file output cat output blah sdjfhjkd jsdfhjksdh sdfs 23423 sdfsdf sdf"sdfsdf"sdfsdf"""""dsf hellow there this doesnt look good et cetc etc etcetera i want to replace a line of line number 4 ("this doesnt look good") with some other line ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to cut a specific pattern from a line

Hello, I need to cut a specific pattern from a line irrespecitve of knowing field place. I am aware to cut field if you know the place of the field, but for me The sting place varies. 1468129514436,0,something_error,Non HTTP response code: java.net.URISyntaxException,Non HTTP response... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirwasim
5 Replies
log(8)							      System Manager's Manual							    log(8)

NAME
log - Records input and output from a program SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/log <logfile> <command> OPERANDS
The file in which to record the interaction being logged. The command to execute. DESCRIPTION
The log program runs <command> and logs the input to and output from <command> to the <logfile> file. Input and output are logged until <command> exits, the log program exits, and the exit status of <command> is returned. The log program is used by the system installation procedure and the it(8) command to create the /var/adm/smlogs/install.log and /var/adm/smlogs/it.log installation log files. RESTRICTIONS
Because the log program is used in the installation standalone environment, program size was the greatest concern in its implementation. The log program does not search for the PATH variable to locate <command> and error messages are terse. The log program causes <command> to take standard input from and write standard output and standard error to UNIX pipes. Some commands will not be able to operate in this environment; therefore, it is suggested that you use the script(1) command instead. UNIX shells will not issue prompts when run from log unless the shell is started with an explicit interactive switch (-i for most shells). For example, log foo.tmp /sbin/sh -i In the previous example, foo.tmp is the name of <logfile>. The log program intercepts end-of-file (usually Ctrl/d). Therefore programs which normally receive end-of-file as an exit command must exit by some other means. ERRORS
Log open error Explanation: The log program was unable to open <logfile>. Verify that the directory exists and that ownerships and permissions are set correctly. Exec Error Explanation: The log program was unable to execute <command>. Verify that you specified a full pathname for <command> and that <command> is an exe- cutable file. Fork Error Explanation: The log program was unable to create one of the processes it requires to log data. SEE ALSO
Commands: it(8), script(1) log(8)