Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris How do you ufsrestore the fast way? Post 302423024 by hergp on Thursday 20th of May 2010 03:51:03 AM
Old 05-20-2010
The restore time is influenced very much by the number of files to restore. So when you say, /u1 contains your oracle binaries, then I guess there are many small files to restore, whereas the other filesystems probably contain only a few database files which are restored much faster.

Also using the verbose option (v) could slow things down when many filenames have to be display to a slow terminal (console).
This User Gave Thanks to hergp For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ufsrestore -i

Hi there, I have a problem at the moment trying to restore a directory from a Super DLT tape with about 3 weeks worth of backups on it. I need to be able to get the last backup performed on this tape but using ufsrestore -i it only restores the first backup which is no good to me. There is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gerwhelan
4 Replies

2. Solaris

ufsrestore

on sparc solaris 2.8 hosts, HOSTB, after changing to /dir1 need to: connect to tape drive on HostA. change directory to /dir0/dir1 on tape and restore everything under that path to /dir1 directory. could i get help?. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: S26+
1 Replies

3. Solaris

ufsrestore?

I'm trying to restore a server from a backup tape. I've partitioned my drive, and I've run into a problem; After extracting everything from the tape, It seems as if only the directory structure is intact. Here are my steps: 1. booted from cdrom to single user mode boot cdrom -s 2. used... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ECBROWN
3 Replies

4. Solaris

steps to ufsrestore

Hello Folks, I have to restore from remote tape sun solaris 10. It has to have mirror raid. I have to restore /,/usr, /var,/opt, /etc,/u01. Could you please give me detailed steps to do the above? I am new to solaris Thanks Ram (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vr76413
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Using ufsdump and ufsrestore

HI Gurus, I have a sunfire V445 server running SAP ECC 6.0 with an Oracle database on Solaris 9 (SunOS 5.9). I recently completed a ufsdump to tape of the following files:- /, /usr, /oracle, /export, /sapr3, I want to restore these files from tape onto a different server of the same... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: charleywasharo
5 Replies

6. Solaris

ufsrestore

Hi , I accidentally deleted crontab entries and I need to restore back urgently ! we use a ufsdump with 0cfu option. I like to know how to restrore / retrieve to different location for crontab file only from the backup. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: skully
4 Replies

7. Solaris

What is volume in ufsrestore

Hi Gurus, Can you guys please explain what is volume in ufsrestore? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarmani
2 Replies

8. Solaris

ufsrestore will not boot

hey all, i did a ufsdump/restore from a mirrored system and i'm not able to get the new system to boot off of the dump. system 1 is a v245 mirrored with disk suite. metadb's are in place d3 -m d23 d13 d33 1 d23 1 1 c1t1d0s3 d13 1 1 c1t0d0s3 d33 1 1 c1t2d0s3 d0 -m d20 d10 d30 1 d20 1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: em23
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ufsrestore

Good Afternoon, I'm going to attempt a ufsrestore of a Solaris 9 machine from a connected NAS containing the ufsdumps. The idea is to be able to take ufsdumps of a failed machine (machine 1), and use them to set up a backup machine (machine 2). (I'm testing for disaster recovery) Note... (52 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stellaman1977
52 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Ufsrestore on Solaris 9

Good Morning, I'm running through a Solaris 9 ufsrestore process on a Sunblade 2500 that folks here helped me write a year ago. Here: https://www.unix.com/303011447-post11.html Hicksd8 tells me to # rm restoresymtable. I see this file in the other slices as well. Do I remove it from... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stellaman1977
8 Replies
READ_TAPE(8)						       AFS Command Reference						      READ_TAPE(8)

NAME
read_tape - Reads volume dumps from a backup tape to a file SYNOPSIS
read_tape -tape <tape device> -restore <# of volumes to restore> -skip <# of volumes to skip> -file <filename> [-scan] [-noask] [-label] [-vheaders] [-verbose] [-help] DESCRIPTION
read_tape reads an OpenAFS backup tape and prompts for each dump file to save. This command does not require any OpenAFS infrastructure. This command does not need an OpenAFS client or server to be available, which is not the case with the backup(8) command. The dump files will be named for the Read/Write name of the volume restored. After saving each dump file, vos restore or restorevol can be used to restore the volume into AFS and non-AFS space respectively. read_tape reads the tape while skipping the specified number of volumes. After that, it restores the specified number of volumes. read_tape doesn't rewind the tape so that it may be used multiple times in succession. OPTIONS
-tape <tape device> Specifies the tape device from which to restore. -restore <# of volumes to restore> Specifies the number of volumes to restore from tape. -skip <# of volumes to skip> Specifies the number of volumes to skip before starting the restore. -file <filename> Specifies an alternate name for the restored volume dump file rather than the default of the volume name. -scan Scans the tape. -noask Doesn't prompt for each volume. -label Displays the full dump label. -vheaders Displays the full volume headers. -verbose Produces on the standard output stream a detailed trace of the command's execution. If this argument is omitted, only warnings and error messages appear. -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. EXAMPLES
The following command will read the third through fifth volumes from the tape device /dev/tape without prompting: % read_tape -tape /dev/tape -skip 2 -restore 3 -noask PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
The issuer must have access to read and write to the specified tape device. SEE ALSO
backup(8), restorevol(1), vos_restore(1) COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2007 Jason Edgecombe <jason@rampaginggeek.com> This documentation is covered by the BSD License as written in the doc/LICENSE file. This man page was written by Jason Edgecombe for OpenAFS. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 READ_TAPE(8)