Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Variable from a text file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Variable from a text file Post 302422697 by zaxxon on Wednesday 19th of May 2010 07:05:36 AM
Old 05-19-2010
Code:
> printer_list=`awk -F"[ :]" '{print $3}' diffs.txt`
$> echo $printer_list
0117bd1 2001bl7 2201bl7 5001bl1

Code:
drv=`awk -F"[ :]|//" '{print $5}' infile`
IP=`awk -F"[ :]|//" '{print $7}' infile`
port=`awk -F"[ :]|//" '{print $8}' infile`
$> echo $drv
lpd socket socket lpd
$> echo $IP
172.25.29.60 172.25.44.188 172.25.11.170 172.25.11.203
$> echo $port
515 9100 9100 515

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Text file to a variable

I have a variable which is not being populated with the contents of a text file, and I'm wondering if anyone happens to know how to do this for a sh type script? #!/bin/sh set alertperson = cat /export/home/bdodym/alert.person if then cat /export/home/bdodym/callout6.msg |... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjhorwood
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Assigning value in a text file to a variable

Hi, I need to place a number located in a text file in a variable so I can perform if/then comparison. How would I go about doing this? Using A=awk '{print $2}' maintenance_date.tmp does not seem to work. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching a text file and assigning it to a variable

Hi Gurus, I am new to unix.I have a requirement as below I have text file like a.txt which contains a.txt hi hello process update status Ok to Proceed no issues good data arrangement My requirement here is i need to read the file and check for the words "OK to Proceed" and if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pssandeep
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace variable names in text file with its value

Hi I have a text file (mytext.txt), the content of which is as following: My name is <@MY_NAME@> and my age is <@MY_AGE@> . Now i have another property file (myprops) which is as following: MY_NAME=abcdefgh MY_AGE=000000 I was wondering, how can i replace the tags of mytext.txt, with its... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vigithvg
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning a value as a variable from a text file

I have a txt file output.txt Freq = 1900 L = 159I want to assign the values to a variable so that i can further use it in some other script. like F=1900 Len=159 etc i tried doing something with awk but dosent work F=$(awk 'BEGIN {}/Freq/ {split ($2,a);depth=a};printf "%d\t,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shashi792
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace text in file using variable

Hi, I'm making a script that automaticaly set file size and path in xml file. I tried with : sed -i 's/BOOTPATH/TEST/g' file.xml it works fine but if I use a viriable : sed -i 's/BOOTPATH/$bootpathf/g' file.xml with this one, no change are made. I don't understand why. If a make a ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Toug
13 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Defined Variable from text file

Hi Guys, I have one text file ABC.txt...It have 3 lines List=/home/klk/dir/ABC.txt Leajnk123 KJUHIO1234 IJOKIJ7676 I want use as different variable of each line.Just like X=firstline Y=Secound Line Z=Third Line (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: asavaliya
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read a file name from a text file and save it in a variable

i have a text file consists of different file names like: line 1: lib/libIMb.so message broker file line 2: lil/imbdfg.lil message broker file i need to extract libIMb.so and imbdfg.lil files from those lines and save them in a variable. so that i can search for... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: santosh2626
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Help] Adding text to a variable line in a file

Hey guys, I need to write a script that will add a specific text at the end of a specific line (of a text file). but the line is a variable this is my text file : device_2 ansible_ssh_host=127.0.0.1 ansible_ssh_port=30000 ansible_ssh_user='root' device_2 ansible_ssh_host=127.0.0.1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: OdedOvdat
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract text from file then write variable

I have a text file that has many lines, and for each line I need to extract different sections of text, then write several variables from the data. I can split out the various sections by selecting their position on each line as the column sizes will never vary. A sample of my text file is below... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kcpoole
2 Replies
makedbm(8yp)															      makedbm(8yp)

Name
       makedbm - make a yellow pages dbm file

Syntax
       makedbm [ -i yp_input_file ] [ -o yp_output_name ] [ -d yp_domain_name ] [ -m yp_master_name ] infile outfile
       makedbm [ -u dbmfilename ]

Description
       The command takes the file specified by the argument infile and converts it to a pair of files in format, namely and Each line of the input
       file is converted to a single record.  All characters up to the first tab or space form the key, and the rest of the line is defined as the
       key's  associated data.	If a line ends with a backslash (), the data for that record is continued onto the next line.	It is left for the
       clients of the yellow pages to interpret the number sign (#); does not treat it as a comment character.	The  infile  parameter	can  be  a
       hyphen (-), in which case reads the standard input.

The  command  is  meant	to  be	used in generating files for the yellow pages service.	The command generates a special entry with the key
       yp_last_modified, which is the date of infile.

Options
       -i     Create a special entry with the key yp_input_file.

-o     Create a special entry with the key yp_output_name.

-d     Create a special entry with the key yp_domain_name.

-m     Create a special entry with the key yp_master_name.  If no master host name is specified, yp_master_name will be set  to	the  local
	      host name.

-u     Undo a file.  That is, print out a file one entry per line, with a single space separating keys from values.

Examples
       The  following  example shows how a combination of commands can be used to make the yellow pages files and from the file.  The percent sign
       (%) signifies the system prompt.

% awk 'BEGIN { FS = ":"; OFS = ""; }
	{ print $1, $0 }' /etc/passwd > ptmp
       % makedbm ptmp passwd.byname
       % rm ptmp

The command creates the file ptmp which is in a form usable by The command uses the ptmp file to create the yellow pages dbm files and  The
       command removes the ptmp file.

See Also
       yppasswd(1yp), dbm(3x), ypmake(8yp)

makedbm(8yp)