Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Variable from a text file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Variable from a text file Post 302422689 by ggoliath on Wednesday 19th of May 2010 06:51:32 AM
Old 05-19-2010
Variable from a text file

I have a variable from a txt file, can i create more variables from the same txt file?
Code:
diffs.txt
device for 0117bd1: lpd://172.25.29.60:515
device for 2001bl7: socket://172.25.44.188:9100
device for 2201bl7: socket://172.25.11.170:9100
device for 5001bl1: lpd://172.25.11.203:515

here is 1st variable
Code:
printer_list="$(awk -F: '{print $1 }' diffs.txt | cut -c11-18)"

i want to create three others from the same text file, with
LPD,
IP Address and
PORT

Can it be done?
I tried this , but to no avail
Code:
#port="$(awk -F: '{print $4}' diffs.txt )"

#drv="$(awk -F: '{print $2}' diffs.txt )"

#IP="$(awk -F: '{print $3}' diffs.txt )"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Text file to a variable

I have a variable which is not being populated with the contents of a text file, and I'm wondering if anyone happens to know how to do this for a sh type script? #!/bin/sh set alertperson = cat /export/home/bdodym/alert.person if then cat /export/home/bdodym/callout6.msg |... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjhorwood
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Assigning value in a text file to a variable

Hi, I need to place a number located in a text file in a variable so I can perform if/then comparison. How would I go about doing this? Using A=awk '{print $2}' maintenance_date.tmp does not seem to work. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching a text file and assigning it to a variable

Hi Gurus, I am new to unix.I have a requirement as below I have text file like a.txt which contains a.txt hi hello process update status Ok to Proceed no issues good data arrangement My requirement here is i need to read the file and check for the words "OK to Proceed" and if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pssandeep
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace variable names in text file with its value

Hi I have a text file (mytext.txt), the content of which is as following: My name is <@MY_NAME@> and my age is <@MY_AGE@> . Now i have another property file (myprops) which is as following: MY_NAME=abcdefgh MY_AGE=000000 I was wondering, how can i replace the tags of mytext.txt, with its... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vigithvg
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning a value as a variable from a text file

I have a txt file output.txt Freq = 1900 L = 159I want to assign the values to a variable so that i can further use it in some other script. like F=1900 Len=159 etc i tried doing something with awk but dosent work F=$(awk 'BEGIN {}/Freq/ {split ($2,a);depth=a};printf "%d\t,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shashi792
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace text in file using variable

Hi, I'm making a script that automaticaly set file size and path in xml file. I tried with : sed -i 's/BOOTPATH/TEST/g' file.xml it works fine but if I use a viriable : sed -i 's/BOOTPATH/$bootpathf/g' file.xml with this one, no change are made. I don't understand why. If a make a ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Toug
13 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Defined Variable from text file

Hi Guys, I have one text file ABC.txt...It have 3 lines List=/home/klk/dir/ABC.txt Leajnk123 KJUHIO1234 IJOKIJ7676 I want use as different variable of each line.Just like X=firstline Y=Secound Line Z=Third Line (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: asavaliya
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read a file name from a text file and save it in a variable

i have a text file consists of different file names like: line 1: lib/libIMb.so message broker file line 2: lil/imbdfg.lil message broker file i need to extract libIMb.so and imbdfg.lil files from those lines and save them in a variable. so that i can search for... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: santosh2626
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Help] Adding text to a variable line in a file

Hey guys, I need to write a script that will add a specific text at the end of a specific line (of a text file). but the line is a variable this is my text file : device_2 ansible_ssh_host=127.0.0.1 ansible_ssh_port=30000 ansible_ssh_user='root' device_2 ansible_ssh_host=127.0.0.1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: OdedOvdat
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract text from file then write variable

I have a text file that has many lines, and for each line I need to extract different sections of text, then write several variables from the data. I can split out the various sections by selecting their position on each line as the column sizes will never vary. A sample of my text file is below... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kcpoole
2 Replies
grcompiler(1)															     grcompiler(1)

NAME
grcompiler - Compile GDL into a TrueType Font SYNOPSIS
grcompiler [-d] [-D] [-g] [-n number] [-v number] [-w number] [-wall] [-q] gdl-file font-file [output-file] [output-fontname] Description Grcompiler compiles a Graphite Description Language description of the smarts for a font along with a TrueType Font to create a graphite font with graphite tables in it. -d Generate XML debugger file. -D Generate all debugger files. -g Permit and ignore invalid glyph definitions. -nnumber Set name table start location. -q Quiet mode (no messages except on error). -vnumber Set Silf table version number. -wnnnn Ignore warning with the given number. This option may be repeated. -wall Display all warnings. Environment grcompiler makes use of the following environment variables GDLPP Specifies the command to execute to run the GDL preprocessor Files gdlerr.txt Warnings and errors are output to this file. dbg_classes.txt Debug file that specifies the classes stored in the font in terms of their GDL source and containing glyph ids in hex. dbg_cmap.txt Debug file giving Unicode to glyph mapping of all the glyphs in the font and vice versa. dbg_enginecode.txt Debug file containing the action code and constraint code associated with each pass and rule in a pass. dbg_fsm.txt Debug file that gives the finite state machines of each pass and the rules referenced. For each pass, a mapping is given between glyph and column number. dbg_glyphattrs.txt Debug file containing all the glyph attributes and their names, along with values specified for each glyph. dbg_parsetree.txt Debug file giving the complete parse tree of the GDL source file. dbg_ruleprec.txt Debug file that lists the rules in precedence order (order in which they will be tested) for each pass. $_temp.gdl Debug file containing the output of gdlpp Author Martin Hosken <mhosken@users.sourceforge.net> $Date: 2012-05-29 11:36:50 $ grcompiler(1)