Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting AWK remove string in between () Post 302422642 by jimmy_y on Wednesday 19th of May 2010 03:45:43 AM
Old 05-19-2010
AWK remove string in between ()

Hi Everyone,

1.txt
Code:
test here (888_f)a/fff (eeee) test2 (q)--(qq)

the output is
Code:
test here a/fff  test2 --

means remove the characters in between (), and () itself. Please advice.

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: Remove comma at the end of the string

Hi i had String like UID: ABC345QWE678GFK345SA90, LENGTH 32 when I used awk ' FS, {print $1}' prints ABC345QWE678GFK345SA90, how can i getrid of that coma at the end of the string. Thanks in advance.. (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reddy482
14 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove characters from string based on occurrence of a string

Hello Folks.. I need your help .. here the example of my problem..i know its easy..i don't all the commands in unix to do this especiallly sed...here my string.. dwc2_dfg_ajja_dfhhj_vw_dec2_dfgh_dwq desired output is.. dwc2_dfg_ajja_dfhhj it's a simple task with tail... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: victor369
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to remove a string

logs: "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to get the following result: abc abc xyz xyz xyz (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: timmywong
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk command to replace a string pattern with another string based on position of this string

here is what i want to achieve... consider a file contains below contents. the file size is large about 60mb cat dump.sql INSERT INTO `table1` (`id`, `action`, `date`, `descrip`, `lastModified`) VALUES (1,'Change','2011-05-05 00:00:00','Account Updated','2012-02-10... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove lines between the start string and end string including start and end string Python

Hi, I am trying to remove lines once a string is found till another string is found including the start string and end string. I want to basically grab all the lines starting with color (closing bracket). PS: The line after the closing bracket for color could be anything (currently 'more').... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dabheeruz
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed awk to remove the , in a string

Dear All, Can anyone help to remove the , bewteen "" in a string by using sed or awk? e.g. input : 1,4,5,"abcdef","we,are,here",4,"help hep" output:1,4,5,"abcdef","wearehere",4,"help hep" Thanks, Mimi (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mimilaw
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove multiple lines from a particular string to particular string

Hi, I have a file containing the DDLs of tables in a schema. From that I need to remove all the lines from a starting string till a specific string. Here is an example. File1.txt ------------- CREATE TABLE "SCHEMA1"."LKP11_TBL_USERS" ( "ID" NUMBER(8,0) NOT NULL ENABLE, "USER_ID"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: satyaatcgi
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove not only the duplicate string but also the keyword of the string in Perl

Hi Perl users, I have another problem with text processing in Perl. I have a file below: Linux Unix Linux Windows SUN MACOS SUN SUN HP-AUX I want the result below: Unix Windows SUN MACOS HP-AUX so the duplicate string will be removed and also the keyword of the string on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: askari
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk string comparison unterminated quoted string andrule of thumb

I have the logic below to look up for matches within the columns between the two files with awk. In the if statement is where the string comparison is attempted with == The issue seems to be with the operands, as 1. when " '${SECTOR}' " -- double quote followed by single quote -- awk matches... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deadyetagain
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk Associative Array and/or Referring to Field by String (Nonconstant String Value)

I will start with an example of what I'm trying to do and then describe how I am approaching the issue. File PS028,005 Lexeme HRS # M # PhraseType 1(1:1) 7(7) PhraseLab 501 503 ClauseType ZYq0 PS028,005 Lexeme W # L> # BNH # M #... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
17 Replies
utc(1m) 																   utc(1m)

NAME
utc - A dcecp object that manipulates UTC timestamps SYNOPSIS
utc add timestamp relative_timestamp utc compare absolute_timestamp absolute_timestamp [-noinaccuracy] utc convert absolute_timestamp [-gmt] utc help [operation | -verbose] utc multiply relative_timestamp {integer | floating_point_factor} utc operations utc subtract timestamp timestamp ARGUMENTS
An International Organization for Standardization (ISO) compliant time format of the following form: CCYY-MMDD- hh:mm:ss.fff[+|-]hh:mmIsss.fff The Time Differential Factor (TDF) component [+|-]hh.mm, if present, indicates the offset from Universal Time Coordinated (UTC) time and implies local system time. The inaccuracy component Iss.fff, if present, specifies the duration of the time interval that contains the absolute time. A floating-point number such as 53.234. A whole number such as 79. The name of the utc operation for which to display help information. A Distributed Time Service (DTS) timestamp of the following form: [-]DD-hh:mm:ss.fff- Iss.fff Relative times often omit fractions of seconds (the leftmost .fff sequence) and generally lack an inaccuracy component (Iss.fff). For example, a relative time of 21 days, 8 hours, and 15 minutes is expressed as 21-08:15:00. A utc timestamp that can be a relative or absolute time. See the relative_timestamp and absolute_timestamp argument descriptions for the format of these timestamps. DESCRIPTION
The utc object lets you add, compare, and convert timestamps in DTS and ISO formats. OPERATIONS
utc add Adds two timestamps. The syntax is as follows: utc add timestamp relative_timestamp The add operation returns the sum of two timestamps. The timestamps can be two relative times or an absolute time and a relative time. Privileges Required No special privileges are needed to use the utc add command. Examples dcecp> utc add 1994-10-18-13:21:50.419-04:00I----- +0-00:02:00.000I----- 1994-10-18-13:23:50.419-04:00I----- dcecp> utc compare Compares two absolute timestamps indicating the temporal order. The syntax is as follows: utc compare absolute_timestamp absolute_time- stamp [-noinaccuracy] The compare operation compares two timestamps and returns -1 if the first is earlier, 1 if the second is earlier, and 0 if the difference is indeterminate. Specify the -noinaccuracy option to ignore inaccuracies in comparisons; in this case a return of 0 indicates the times are the same. Privileges Required No special privileges are needed to use the utc compare command. Examples dcecp> utc compare 1994-10-18-13:22:32.816-04:00I----- > 1994-10-18-13:21:50.419-04:00I----- -noinaccuracy 1 dcecp> utc convert Converts a timestamp from UTC to local time. The syntax is as follows: utc convert absolute_timestamp [-gmt] The convert operation accepts a timestamp and returns another timestamp that expresses the same time in the local time zone. If called with the -gmt option it returns a Greenwich mean time (GMT) formatted timestamp. Privileges Required No special privileges are needed to use the utc convert command. Examples dcecp> utc convert 1994-10-18-13:22:32.816-00:00I----- 1994-10-18-09:22:32.816-04:00I----- dcecp> dcecp> utc convert 1994-10-18-13:22:32.816-00:00I----- -gmt 1994-10-18-13:22:32.816I----- dcecp> utc help Returns help information about the utc object and its operations. The syntax is as follows: utc help [operation | -verbose] Options Displays information about the utc object. Used without an argument or option, the utc help command returns brief information about each utc operation. The optional operation argu- ment is the name of an operation about which you want detailed information. Alternatively, you can use the -verbose option for more detailed information about the utc object itself. Privileges Required No special privileges are needed to use the utc help command. Examples dcecp> utc help add Adds a relative and absolute, or two relative, timestamps. compare Compares two timestamps to determine which is earlier. convert Converts a timestamp into the local timezone or GMT. multiply Multiplies a relative timestamp by a number. subtract Returns the difference between two timestamps. help Prints a summary of command-line options. operations Returns a list of the valid operations for this command. dcecp> utc multiply Multiplies a relative time (a length of time) by an integer or floating-point factor. The syntax is as follows: utc multiply rela- tive_timestamp {integer | floating_point_factor} The multiply operation accepts two arguments: a relative timestamp and an integer or floating-point factor. It multiplies the length of time (specified by the relative timestamp) by the integer or floating-point factor, returning the product as a relative timestamp. Privileges Required No special privileges are needed to use the utc multiply command. Examples dcecp> utc multiply +0-00:00:05.000I----- 3 +0-00:00:15.000I----- dcecp> utc operations Returns a list of the operations supported by the utc object. The syntax is as follows: utc operations The list of available operations is in alphabetical order except for help and operations, which are listed last. Privileges Required No special privileges are needed to use the utc operations command. Examples dcecp> utc operations add compare convert multiply subtract help operations dcecp> utc subtract Subtracts one timestamp from another, returning the difference as a relative timestamp. The syntax is as follows: utc subtract timestamp timestamp The subtract operation returns the difference between two timestamps that express either an absolute time and a relative time, two relative times, or two absolute times. Subtracting an absolute timestamp from a relative timestamp, however, is not allowed. The return value is an absolute or relative timestamp, depending on how the command is used. Privileges Required No special privileges are needed to use the utc subtract command. Examples dcecp> utc subtract 1994-10-18-13:22:32.816-00:00I----- +0-00:00:15.000I----- 1994-10-18-13:22:17.816+00:00I----- dcecp> RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: dcecp(1m), dcecp_clock(1m), dcecp_dts(1m), dtsd(1m). utc(1m)