Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers Appending file extensions to filenames in bash scripts Post 302422279 by ladyAnne on Tuesday 18th of May 2010 03:00:15 AM
Old 05-18-2010
Hi Scottn

This methos gives me the following output:

Code:
$ ./Import_PlannedBSC.sh -b
ds_pl_bsc_tester
rnChk_pos_bsc_orig_001

You see, this gives me filenames without the .dsx file extension that I desperately need.

I was looking at the renaming convention as well, still reading up on how to possibly make that work.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Scripts - File generating

Forgive the daft requests - I'm still a learner :D I need a script so that I can test another script (I'm confused already) The script I am looking for should generate a new file in the same directory (called newfile1 or what ever) and also generate text within the new file (Hello world? What... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JayC89
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Appending text to a number of similar filenames

Hi, I was wondering if there was a way to append something to filenames based on a wildcard. For example, if I have the following files in a directory: blah1 blah2 blah3 blah4 blah5 I want to rename these all to: blah1.txt blah2.txt blah3.txt blah4.txt blah5.txt Is there a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Djaunl
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash: reading filenames from file

Hi, I'm trying to write a script that reads filenames from a file and use these filenames in a loop. The filenames are all on one line and the problem is that these filenames have wildcards like * and braces like in them. Right now what I'm doing is something like this: echo "reading from... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: warp17
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

link scripts to file extensions for tab completion

Is there a way to link a script in my ~/bin with file extension priority for tab completion? for example, if the script I have could only look at .tex files, and I have 6 files in the same directory with the same name, but different extensions: index.tex index.dvi index.toc ... etc... it... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pyramation
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing the Bash Scripts to Bourne Scripts:URGENT

Hi, I have to write a program to compute the checksums of files ./script.sh I wrote the program using bash and it took me forever since I am a beginner but it works very well. I'm getting so close to the deadline and I realised today that actually I have to use normal Bourne shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pgarg1989
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - Appending to specific line in file

I'm working on a personal project, a multiplication quiz script for my kids. In it, the user's performance will be recorded and written to a file. After they've played it a little while, it will start to focus more on the ones that give them the most trouble-- that take a long time to answer or... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: treesloth
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending date to UNIX Filenames

Hello, I have a file name in the below format and have to append the date as _$currdate. kchik_UK_lo.txt_$currdate. The above should be the format and I dont want to put entire filename as above in the code, but it should give me the output as the above filename.Can anyone please help... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: harika03
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing hive scripts in bash script file

Hi, I wanted to load data from HDFS to HIVE by writing bash script. Description: I have written a bash script to validate the data and loaded validated data from local file system to HDFS. Now in the same bash script i wanted to load the data from HDFS to HIVE. How can i do it ? Also how tyhe... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shree11
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing Hbase and pig scripts in the bash script file

Hi, I have a script file where i'm validatig the input file and storing the validated records on HDFS. I wanted to load data from HDFS to HBASE using pig script. So for that i have created a HBASE table and written pig script to load data from HDFS to HBASE which is working fine. Now i wanted... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shree11
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Can I view Bash POSIX extensions?

Hello.. and thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer me to figure this out I'm reading about the about the Bash shell... and I've read from many sources that to make Bash POSIX compliant it needs "extensions"... Which sounds to me like something I should be able to load or unload into... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bodisha
1 Replies
COMPRESS(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					       COMPRESS(1)

NAME
compress, uncompress, -- compress and expand data SYNOPSIS
compress [-cfv] [-b bits] [file ...] uncompress [-cfv] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The compress utility reduces the size of the named files using adaptive Lempel-Ziv coding. Each file is renamed to the same name plus the extension ``.Z''. As many of the modification time, access time, file flags, file mode, user ID, and group ID as allowed by permissions are retained in the new file. If compression would not reduce the size of a file, the file is ignored. The uncompress utility restores the compressed files to their original form, renaming the files by deleting the ``.Z'' extension. If renaming the files would cause files to be overwritten and the standard input device is a terminal, the user is prompted (on the standard error output) for confirmation. If prompting is not possible or confirmation is not received, the files are not overwritten. If no files are specified or a file argument is a single dash ('-'), the standard input is compressed or uncompressed to the standard output. If either the input and output files are not regular files, the checks for reduction in size and file overwriting are not performed, the input file is not removed, and the attributes of the input file are not retained. The options are as follows: -b Specify the bits code limit (see below). -c Compressed or uncompressed output is written to the standard output. No files are modified. -f Force compression of file, even if it is not actually reduced in size. Additionally, files are overwritten without prompting for confirmation. -v Print the percentage reduction of each file. The compress utility uses a modified Lempel-Ziv algorithm. Common substrings in the file are first replaced by 9-bit codes 257 and up. When code 512 is reached, the algorithm switches to 10-bit codes and continues to use more bits until the limit specified by the -b flag is reached (the default is 16). Bits must be between 9 and 16. After the bits limit is reached, compress periodically checks the compression ratio. If it is increasing, compress continues to use the existing code dictionary. However, if the compression ratio decreases, compress discards the table of substrings and rebuilds it from scratch. This allows the algorithm to adapt to the next "block" of the file. The -b flag is omitted for uncompress since the bits parameter specified during compression is encoded within the output, along with a magic number to ensure that neither decompression of random data nor recompression of compressed data is attempted. The amount of compression obtained depends on the size of the input, the number of bits per code, and the distribution of common substrings. Typically, text such as source code or English is reduced by 50-60%. Compression is generally much better than that achieved by Huffman cod- ing (as used in the historical command pack), or adaptive Huffman coding (as used in the historical command compact), and takes less time to compute. DIAGNOSTICS
The compress and uncompress utilities exit 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. The compress utility exits 2 if attempting to compress the file would not reduce its size and the -f option was not specified. SEE ALSO
gunzip(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zcat(1), zmore(1), znew(1) Welch, Terry A., "A Technique for High Performance Data Compression", IEEE Computer, 17:6, pp. 8-19, June, 1984. STANDARDS
The compress and uncompress utilities conform to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
The compress command appeared in 4.3BSD. BSD
May 17, 2002 BSD