Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting hexadecimal replacing with awk ? Post 302422093 by jossojjos on Monday 17th of May 2010 12:08:04 PM
Old 05-17-2010
hexadecimal replacing with awk ?

Hi there !

I have text files with some nonsense characters in it, so different text editors put different nonsense symbols, and, worse, the application that should be able to read these files doesn't.

With xxd, the nonsense characters show as "efbfbd", while they should be "c2a7" (the 'paragraph character', §).

E.g., this is a line of xxd output containing the weird character :
Code:
0000260: 3433 3036 312c efbf bd28 2244 4941 4e54  43061,...("DIANT

Now, is there a way to change the "efbfbd" into "c2a7" ? Preferably with awk, since that's what I'm using to treat these files with for other purposes.

Thanks !
jos

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get Hexadecimal Value

I have a record in a file that ends with the new line character "\n". How dio I determine the hexadecimal value for that? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lesstjm
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Specifying and replacing fields with awk

#cat BATCH007.TXT 01,661060052,061000104,081118,0915,07,80,1,2/ 99,,,2/ I have this file called BATCH007.TXT. I am trying to change fields 2 and 3 on line 2 to have zeroes. Like this: 01,661060052,061000104,081118,0915,07,80,1,2/ 99,0,0,2/ I can use these commands to print identify the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ddurden7
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script for replacing 2 strings

Hi I have written a script for automating a program. There is a string in 2 lines that needs altering from input. The 2 lines are: prepare_flexreceptor4.py -r rec_rigid.pdbqt -s TYR119_TRP312 -x rec_flex.pdbqt and prepare_flexdocking4.py -l ind.pdbqt -r rec_flex.pdbqt -s TYR119_TRP312... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gav2251
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing characters with awk

Hi there! I'm new in this and probably is a quite simple task but I still cannot manage to do it: I have to read some files line by line and then change the input format into another one, but the very first step is to replace the empty variables by error values. I mean, each line looks like:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thoreman
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing lines between two files with awk

Hello Masters, I have two subtitles file with different language like below First file : 1 00:00:41,136 --> 00:00:43,900 2 00:00:55,383 --> 00:00:58,477 <i> Ladies and gentlemen,</i> <i>this is Simon Barsinister,</i> 3 00:00:58,553 --> 00:01:00,521 <i>the wickedest man in the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rk4k
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing / with a space using awk

I have a string and want to replace the / with a space. For example having "SP/FS/RP" I want to get "SP FS RP" However I am having problems using gsub set phases = `echo $Aphases | awk '{gsub(///," ")}; {print}'` (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing grep with awk

This may be a repetitive or simple question, but I have a long running code, which uses a grep with a big argument, and i was wondering if there was a way to replace all of my greps with awk....here are my two commands using greps. x=$(ls /my/directory/here | grep -h ".$variable") and ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jgrosecl
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing string with awk

I am trying to replace javascript:top.showarticle('geo',1985,'with ../../abstracts/geo1985/I am using awk but getting an error awk -v s="javascript:top.showarticle('geo',1985,'" -v d="../../abstracts/geo1985/" '{gsub(s,d); print} ' geo50n12.html > geo50n12.html.tmp Fixed it using ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing grep with awk

how to replace grep with awk commands. i have a code like: grep -w $student $markfile|$subjectid can similar code be written by replacing grep with awk. Thanks in advance, regards, giri (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: girijan
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk for replacing line feed

Hello all, I have data like "1"|"My_name"|"My_Email"|"My_Last"|My_other" "2"|"My_name"|"My_Email"|"My_Last"|My_other" "3"|"My_name"|"My_Email"|" "|My_other" "1"|"My_name"|"My_Email"|"My_Last"|My_other" Need output like "1"|"My_name"|"My_Email"|"My_Last"|My_other"... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: lokaish23
10 Replies
dadadodo(1)						      General Commands Manual						       dadadodo(1)

NAME
dadadodo - exterminate all rational thought SYNOPSIS
dadadodo [ options ] [ input-files ] DESCRIPTION
dadadodo is a program that analyses texts for Markov chains of word probabilities and then generates random sentences based on those proba- bilities. Sometimes these sentences are nonsense, but sometimes they cut right through to the heart of the matter and reveal hidden mean- ings. OPTIONS
dadadodo accepts the following options: -c, -count n Generate n sentences. -h, -help Show summary of options and exit. -html Output HTML instead of plain text. -l, -load file Load compiled data from file ('-' for standard input). -o, -output file Save compiled data in file ('-' for standard output). -p, -pause s Delay s seconds between paragraphs. -w, -columns columns Format output for a device columns character cells in width. If not specified, the value of the environment variable COLUMNS is used to determine the width. If that variable is not defined, a width of 72 is assumed. NOTES
Non-option arguments are input files. These should be text files, but may be mail folders or HTML. MIME messages are handled sensibly. When no output file is specified, sentences will be generated from the input data directly. However, loading a saved file is far faster than re-parsing the text files each time. ENVIRONMENT
COLUMNS Determines the width (in character cells) of the output if the -w, -columns option is not used. If not set, a width of 72 is assumed. SEE ALSO
dadadodo's upstream website is http://www.jwz.org/dadadodo/. AUTHOR
dadadodo was written by Jamie Zawinski. This manual page was written by Sudhakar Chandrasekharan <thaths@netscape.com>, based on the program's usage message. dadadodo(1)