Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers While loop seems to exit when blank line is met Post 302422021 by steviefordi on Monday 17th of May 2010 09:21:29 AM
Old 05-17-2010
My apologies haaru, when I gave you the grep line to quote I meant it to be on the code you posted originally.

I understand that other people helping you has probably led you down other routes now - but I'm positive if you quote the grep line as I showed you, on the code you originally posted, it will work.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

while loop exit

i wrote a while script as part of a huge program. this script, once picked, begins to output data to the person using it. pretty easy, as the person doesn't have to keep typing commands to get the output that the while loop automatically throws out. now, the thing is, while this while-script... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Terrible
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to break a loop if condition is met

I am having trouble figuring this code I want to grep a text from a file and if it match certain text it break out of the loop or it should continue searching for the text Here is what I have written but it isn't working while true f=`grep 'END OF STATUS REPORT' filename` do if ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Issemael
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace two blank line with a single blank line

Hi Guys, I have a file in which each set of records are separated by two blank line. I want to replace it with a single blank line. Can you guys help me out? Regards, Magesh (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exit from loop

hi, how to exit from "if" loop?actually i have mutliple "if" conditions, i have to exit from each "if" loop,if it is true...:confused: Please suggest me... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreelu
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fill the empty line by adding line before blank line

FIle A "A" 2 aa 34 3 ac 5 cd "B" 3 hu 67 4 fg 5 gy output shud be A"" 2 aa 34 "A" 3 ac 34 "A" 5 cd 34 "B" 3 hu 67 "B" 4 fg 67 "B" 5 gy 67 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdfd123
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

do nothing if condition is not met but not exit

Hello all, I created the below script....and it seemed to be working fine. My problem is i want the script to ignore rest of the things if my condition is not met but do not exit.... #!/bin/ksh ########################### ########################### # Set name of the listener, this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdul.irfan2
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

While loop only if a condition is met

All, I wrote the following section of code (which logically in PHP would of worked): tmpPATH=${1} tmpTAG=${2} if then while read tmpTAG tmpPATH do fi echo $tmpTAG echo $tmpPATH if then done < ./config.cfg fi (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cranie
4 Replies

8. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

For loop exit

Below for loop not exiting. Can someone help? JBOSS_INST_ARGS=01 02 if ; then for i in $JBOSS_INST_ARGS; do /u/jboss-6.1.0.Final/bin/jboss_init_wise$i.sh start; done (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino_hymi
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

In a file, replace blank line by the last line not blank above

Dear All, In a CSV file, say that a given column has been extracted. In that column, information is missing (i.e. blank lines appear). I would like to replace the blank lines by the last valid line (not blank) previously read. For example, consider the extract below: 123 234 543 111... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bagvian
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find line then evaluate text on next line, print when condition is met

Hello, I am looking for a specific situation in a text file. The conditions are, > <CompoundName> InChI=1S/C5H12NO2/c1-5(2)4-8-6(3)7/h5H,4H2,1-3H3/q+1 I am looking for cases where the line "> <CompoundName>" is followed by a line that contains the string "InChI=" without regard to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
5 Replies
ZGREP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep, zegrep, zfgrep -- print lines matching a pattern in gzip-compressed files SYNOPSIS
zgrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [files ...] zegrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [file ...] zfgrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [file ...] DESCRIPTION
zgrep runs grep(1) on files or stdin, if no files argument is given, after decompressing them with zcat(1). The grep-flags and pattern arguments are passed on to grep(1). If an -e flag is found in the grep-flags, zgrep will not look for a pattern argument. zegrep calls egrep(1), while zfgrep calls fgrep(1). EXIT STATUS
In case of missing arguments or missing pattern, 1 will be returned, otherwise 0. SEE ALSO
egrep(1), fgrep(1), grep(1), gzip(1), zcat(1) AUTHORS
Thomas Klausner <wiz@NetBSD.org> BSD
December 28, 2003 BSD