Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Searching for specific filenames Post 302422001 by pseudocoder on Monday 17th of May 2010 08:54:19 AM
Old 05-17-2010
Did you try
Code:
find . -type f -name "*_bsc_*" -exec mv {} /path/to/another/dir \;

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for a specific string in an argumnet

I want to check the second argument for a specific string . The code below is what I am trying, but I get: UX:test (./test): ERROR: { if ($0 ~ /StringImLooking4/) {print $1} }: Unknown operator I want to test if the second argument contains the string StringImLooking4 Unixware 7 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dinplant
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching for filenames with search strings in another file

Hi, I have 5 files in a directory. emp1_usage.txt emp2_usage.txt emp3_usage.txt emp4_usage.txt emp5_usage.txt I am using sqlldr to get the contents of the above 5 files and store it in a temp table and update my original table using temp table. for f in *emp*.txt do sqlldr... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathanjalireddy
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping for filenames containing value in specific segment within file

I am trying to grep for filenames containing a specific value within a particular segment. The lines containing the segment I'm looking through reads like "HL^1^^1^1", "10^9^9^0", and "HL^11^4^8^1". I would like to find the data that contains only the number nine after the third caret where the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: HLee1981
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Searching filenames containing certain text???

Suppose there are multiple files containing certain text "abc". How to print the name of all such files with a single command from unix prompt? Thanks in advance (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finiding filenames with specific index string

Hi All, I have a file (Names.txt) and the contents of the file is give below. $ cat Names.txt FF313207008.txt FF223207007.txt FF143207006.txt FF372150600.txt FF063407005.txt FF063307005.txt $ From these given file names I want to find the files which has the 6th index value as 2. So... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: krish_indus
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching by date range from filenames

Hello all, i have tons of files in folder named like this (yyyymmdd): bookcollection20100729 bookcollection20100730 bookcollection20100731 bookcollection20100801 bookcollection20100802 etc. I need to find files with date range in there names lets say from 2010.07.30 - 2010.08.02 ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Whit3H0rse
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for files with specific extensions

Hi, Could someone give me a hand with a search for files with two possible extensions, please. The requirement is simple - I need to issue a single ls command searching for files with the suffix of, say, *.txt and *.log. I've tried to use ls *.txt *.log which works if there are both... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: neilmw
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching for a pattern from filenames stored in a file

Hi, I have got some 10 filenames stored in a file or displayed in the console as a result of some query i made.. Now I need to open each of these files and search for a pattern in these 10 files.. Can someone help me with this? Thanks, Jean (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeanjkj
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching same filenames in different partitions

Hi, We are doing some migration work. The same files may exist in different partition/mountpoints. We may place it in a single place, hence we don't want any duplicates...we will rename the file names if we know the files which has duplicates(by file name)). It would be nice if a script... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saravanapandi
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching range of filenames witn and without numbers on the end

So I'm grepping for the following right now: ls -la /somedirectory/*.log* | awk '{print $9}' The problem with this is that I get the following output: /somedirectory/errors_1_foo.log /somedirectory/errors_1_foo.log.1 /somedirectory/errors_1_foo.log.2... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinuxRacr
4 Replies
FIND(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   FIND(1)

NAME
find - find files meeting a given condition SYNOPSIS
find directory expression EXAMPLES
find / -name a.out -print # Print all a.out paths find /usr/ast ! -newer f -ok rm {} ; # Ask before removing find /usr -size +20 -exec mv {} /big ; # move files > 20 blks find / -name a.out -o -name '*.o' -exec rm {}; # 2 conds DESCRIPTION
Find descends the file tree starting at the given directory checking each file in that directory and its subdirectories against a predi- cate. If the predicate is true, an action is taken. The predicates may be connected by -a (Boolean and), -o (Boolean or) and ! (Boolean negation). Each predicate is true under the conditions specified below. The integer n may also be +n to mean any value greater than n, -n to mean any value less than n, or just n for exactly n. -name s true if current filename is s (include shell wild cards) -size n true if file size is n blocks -inum n true if the current file's i-node number is n -mtime ntrue if modification time relative to today (in days) is n -links ntrue if the number of links to the file is n -newer ftrue if the file is newer than f -perm n true if the file's permission bits = n (n is in octal) -user u true if the uid = u (a numerical value, not a login name) -group gtrue if the gid = g (a numerical value, not a group name) -type x where x is bcdfug (block, char, dir, regular file, setuid, setgid) -xdev do not cross devices to search mounted file systems Following the expression can be one of the following, telling what to do when a file is found: -print print the file name on standard output -exec execute a MINIX command, {} stands for the file name -ok prompts before executing the command SEE ALSO
test(1), xargs(1). FIND(1)