Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Read columns from file by position Post 302421777 by malcomex999 on Sunday 16th of May 2010 04:59:40 AM
Old 05-16-2010
Try...
Code:
awk 'NR>2{print substr($0,6,20)"," substr($0,26,10)"," substr($0,36,20)}' infile

If you need with space, change the comma to space...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

read space filled file and replace text at specific position

Hi I have a spaced filled file having records like below: What I want is to read line having RT3 at position 17-19 then go to position 2651 check the 18 characters (might be space filled till 18 characters). This position should have a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: COD
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read value from particular position in file.

From unix script i want to read string value in a file from position 2 to 5. which command can be used or any alternatives there?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnarao
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

read file until certain line position

let's say I have this file format and another file i only want to get the lines between "test" and "*", so how do I do that and then assign to a variable with a space in between? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: finalight
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

use awk to read randomly located columns in an excel file

Hi, I have an excel file that have a random count of columns/fields and what im trying to do is to only retrieve all the rows under 2 specific field headers. I can use the usually command for awk which is awk 'print{ $1 $2}' > output.txt, but the location of the 2 specific field headers is... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mdap
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change many columns position/order

Hi everyone, Please some help over here. (I´m using cygwing) I have files with 40 columns and 2000 lines in average. I´m trying to change the order position as follow. Original columns position:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read columns from delimited file in UNIX

Hello I need to read the columns from a flat file delimited by Hex code X02. The Sample file is Red^B1000^BJohn Blue^B2000^BSam Green^B3000^BDan Note: Hex code X02 shows as ^B in vi. I need to read the file and process the columns in each row. I tried using awk -F command but... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: injey
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read flat file upto certain number of columns

Hello Guys Please help me with the below issue I want to read a flat file source upto certain number of columns Say my flat file has 30 columns but I want to read upto 25 columns only How come the above issue can be addressed? Thanks a lot!!!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read data from tab delimited file after a specific position?

Hi Experts, I have a tab deliminated file as below myfile.txt Local Group Memberships *Administrators *Guests I need data in below format starting from 4th position. myfile1.txt Administrators Guests the above one is just an example and there could... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Litu1988
15 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge Two files on the basis of 2 columns at diffrent position

Hello, I am trying to merge two files with multiple records having a common columns but on first file its on 7th column and on 2nd file it on 6th column. First file(file1.txt) - 7th Column is unique H|123|Alex|Ren|W|9856746|2345789|20152202| H|97654|Ray|John||9855678|2345790|20152201|... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mannu2525
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Delete columns with a specific title XXX, where the position change in each file

Goodmorning, I know how to cut a string and a column, and how to find a word. I have a file with over 100 columns. All columns have a title in the first line. I have to delete all columns with the XXX title. I can't use cut -f because the position of XXX columns change in each file, and in... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: echo manolis
14 Replies
expand(1)							   User Commands							 expand(1)

NAME
expand, unexpand - expand TAB characters to SPACE characters, and vice versa SYNOPSIS
expand [-t tablist] [file...] expand [-tabstop] [ -tab1, tab2,. . ., tabn] [file...] unexpand [-a] [-t tablist] [file...] DESCRIPTION
The expand utility copies files (or the standard input) to the standard output, with TAB characters expanded to SPACE characters. BACKSPACE characters are preserved into the output and decrement the column count for TAB calculations. expand is useful for pre-processing character files (before sorting, looking at specific columns, and so forth) that contain TAB characters. unexpand copies files (or the standard input) to the standard output, putting TAB characters back into the data. By default, only leading SPACE and TAB characters are converted to strings of tabs, but this can be overridden by the -a option (see the OPTIONS section below). OPTIONS
The following options are supported for expand: -t tablist Specifies the tab stops. The argument tablist must consist of a single positive decimal integer or multiple posi- tive decimal integers, separated by blank characters or commas, in ascending order. If a single number is given, tabs will be set tablist column positions apart instead of the default 8. If multiple numbers are given, the tabs will be set at those specific column positions. Each tab-stop position N must be an integer value greater than zero, and the list must be in strictly ascending order. This is taken to mean that, from the start of a line of output, tabbing to position N causes the next char- acter output to be in the (N+1)th column position on that line. In the event of expand having to process a tab character at a position beyond the last of those specified in a mul- tiple tab-stop list, the tab character is replaced by a single space character in the output. -tabstop Specifies as a single argument, sets TAB characters tabstop SPACE characters apart instead of the default 8. -tab1,tab2,...,tabn Sets TAB characters at the columns specified by -tab1,tab2,...,tabn The following options are supported for unexpand: -a Inserts TAB characters when replacing a run of two or more SPACE characters would produce a smaller output file. -t tablist Specifies the tab stops. The option-argument tablist must be a single argument consisting of a single positive decimal integer or multiple positive decimal integers, separated by blank characters or commas, in ascending order. If a single number is given, tabs will be set tablist column positions apart instead of the default 8. If multiple numbers are given, the tabs will be set at those specific column positions. Each tab-stop position N must be an integer value greater than zero, and the list must be in strictly ascending order. This is taken to mean that, from the start of a line of output, tabbing to position N will cause the next character output to be in the (N+1)th column position on that line. When the -t option is not specified, the default is the equivalent of specifying -t 8 (except for the interaction with -a, described below). No space-to-tab character conversions occur for characters at positions beyond the last of those specified in a multiple tab-stop list. When -t is specified, the presence or absence of the -a option is ignored; conversion will not be limited to the processing of leading blank characters. OPERANDS
The following ooperand is supported for expand and unexpand: file The path name of a text file to be used as input. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of expand and unexpand: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
tabs(1), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 1 Feb 1995 expand(1)