Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX [SOLVED] HP UX SERVER IP ADDRESS Post 302421704 by methyl on Saturday 15th of May 2010 08:16:47 PM
Old 05-15-2010
Before changing, make copies of:

/etc/hosts
/etc/rc.config.d/netconf

Then diff the files after the change but before rebooting. This is because for example a fully qualified host name (for sendmail) may disappear from /etc/hosts.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find i.p address of our server

I don't have root access. How do I find i.p address of our sun server? Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vpotluri
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to get the server name using IP address

Hi all, what is the comamnd to get the server address using the IP address ? Please help. Thanks, Sona. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sona
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting the IP address in unix server

Hi, I want to know the IP of my Unix server in my script programming. Below are the my trial and i didn't find anything useful for me.because i want only IP. hostname -> Giving the name of the server and hostanme -i -> Giving the error message that..i am not super user. ipConfig ->... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Balamani
7 Replies

4. IP Networking

Getting IP address of a server

Hello, I have a server in C that is listening on a socket using s_addr = INADDR_ANY, and clients connect to it. How can I know which address did the client use to connect to that socket? It might be 127.0.0.1 (if the server is running locally), 192.168.x.x (if the client is from inside the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: royger
1 Replies

5. HP-UX

[Solved] How do I configure Unix Mail Server to use another Mail Exchange Server

We have configured our mail unix server and can send out emails automatically from applications running on unix to different people in our company as well as outside our company. However there is an outside client who is not receiving these emails because the settings on their mail server cannot... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tenyhwa
4 Replies

6. Red Hat

DHCP Server address

Where can you find your DHCP Server address? I checked all of the files that this mentioned with no luck. Quick HOWTO : Ch08 : Configuring the DHCP Server - Linux Home Networking (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Can't get on internet with Linux Static IP address and Linksys Router.

I configured my linux server with Static IP address out of the range of the DHCP linksys router, but cannot get on the internet. When I switch back to "Automatically obtain IP address" ..then I can get on the internet. Can comeone help with this. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: FrankOscar
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Box with a new MAC address can't connect to the internet

Hi, i replaced one of my UNIX machines last week, the old box had an external IP address before. Everything is the same as the previous box and the only difference is the new one has a different MAC address (of course, since the mother boards are different). The problem is the new machine can't... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tezarin
2 Replies

9. Programming

IP address of a server at runtime

Hello, I developed a client task in C and a server task in C (an application strongly coupled). The client needs the server IP address to connect to the server. The problem is: I don't know in advance which machine will run the client and which machine will run the server so I can know the ip... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chercheur857
3 Replies

10. Red Hat

Ip address of Linux server

Hi, How to find ip address of Linux servers ? I know by ping command we can find ip address but wanted to check with you. Thanks, Maddy (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Maddy123
5 Replies
etrn(1M)						  System Administration Commands						  etrn(1M)

NAME
etrn - start mail queue run SYNOPSIS
etrn [-b] [-v] server-host [client-hosts] DESCRIPTION
SMTP's ETRN command allows an SMTP client and server to interact, giving the server an opportunity to start the processing of its queues for messages to go to a given host. This is meant to be used in start-up conditions, as well as for mail nodes that have transient connec- tions to their service providers. The etrn utility initiates an SMTP session with the host server-host and sends one or more ETRN commands as follows: If no client-hosts are specified, etrn looks up every host name for which sendmail(1M) accepts email and, for each name, sends an ETRN command with that name as the argument. If any client-hosts are specified, etrn uses each of these as arguments for successive ETRN commands. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -b System boot special case. Make sure localhost is accepting SMTP connections before initiating the SMTP session with server-host. This option is useful because it prevents race conditions between sendmail(1M) accepting connections and server-host attempting to deliver queued mail. This check is performed automatically if no client-hosts are specified. -v The normal mode of operation for etrn is to do all of its work silently. The -v option makes it verbose, which causes etrn to display its conversations with the remote SMTP server. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
No environment variables are used. However, at system start-up, svc:/network/smtp:sendmail reads /etc/default/sendmail. In this file, if the variable ETRN_HOSTS is set, svc:/network/smtp:sendmail parses this variable and invokes etrn appropriately. ETRN_HOSTS should be of the form: "s1:c1.1,c1.2 s2:c2.1 s3:c3.1,c3.2,c3.3" That is, white-space separated groups of server:client where client can be one or more comma-separated names. The :client part is optional. server is the name of the server to prod; a mail queue run is requested for each client name. This is comparable to running: /usr/lib/sendmail -qR client on the host server. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Using etrn Inserting the line: ETRN_HOSTS="s1.domain.com:clnt.domain.com s2.domain.com:clnt.domain.com" in /etc/default/sendmail results in svc:/network/smtp:sendmail invoking etrn such that ETRN commands are sent to both s1.domain.com and s2.domain.com, with both having clnt.domain.com as the ETRN argument. The line: ETRN_HOSTS="server.domain.com:client1.domain.com,client2.domain.com" results in two ETRN commands being sent to server.domain.com, one with the argument client1.domain.com, the other with the argument client2.domain.com. The line: ETRN_HOSTS="server1.domain.com server2.domain.com" results in set of a ETRN commands being sent to both server1.domain.com and server2.domain.com; each set contains one ETRN command for each host name for which sendmail(1M) accepts email, with that host name as the argument. FILES
/etc/mail/sendmail.cf sendmail configuration file /etc/default/sendmail Variables used by svc:/network/smtp:sendmail ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWsndmu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Stable | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sendmail(1M), attributes(5) RFC 1985 NOTES
Not all SMTP servers support ETRN. SunOS 5.11 10 Aug 2004 etrn(1M)