Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming problem passing unix variable to c Post 302421083 by Corona688 on Thursday 13th of May 2010 11:03:52 AM
Old 05-13-2010
Environment variables don't work that way. Child processes get a copy of yours, and don't actually share it; changes they make aren't reflected in your own process. You'll have to capture its output in other ways, probably by reading its standard output. See man popen.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Passing C Variable To Unix

I want to pass a variable set in my c program to a shell script (which will also be invoked or initiated from the same C program using the C's system command). Is it possible ? :confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kapilv
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

passing unix variable to sqlplus without a file name

Hi, I want to input unix variable to sqlplus.The following is working fine sqlplus username/password @dummy.sql param1 param2 << EOF create user $1 identified by $2; EOF But I dont want any file name to be passed,I just want to pass the parameter. Is there any way to that?? Thanks... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sakthi.abdullah
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Passing a unix variable value to a Plsql function

Suppose I have a unix variable called RGNM which is holding a value. Now I want to call a plsql function in my script. THis plsql function takes one IN parameter. I want to pass my UNIX VARIABLE Value to the plsql function. Can i just give it by giving $RGNM in the function after calling sqlplus... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cobroraj
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem passing a specific variable to sed

Hi, I'm a bit of sed n00b here. My issue is as follows: I'm trying to pass a variable to sed so that all instances of this variable (in a text file) will be replaced with nothing. However, the value of this variable will always be a folder location e.g. "C:\Program Files\Folder1" I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr_Plow
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing the unix variable to sqlplus

Hi, I am writing a script which creates an external table using a shell script. My requirement is like this. Usage: . ./r.ksh <table_name> - this should create an external table. e.g . ./r.ksh abc - this should create an external table as abc_external. How do i achieve this? Please... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anaramkris
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing unix variable to oracle parameters

Please help me how to pass some unix vairable to oracle. I have used below , but not displaying passed (inval) value. calling() { sqlplus -s $1/$2@$3 <<EOF begin exec call_sql($4); end; exit EOF } calling user pwd inst value1... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jairaj
17 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem while passing variable

Within a shell im starting a terdata BTEQ session #!/bin/ksh set -x TEMP_DATABASE=`head -6 /home/karthik/para.txt|tail -1` TEMP_TABLE=`head -7 /home/karthik/para.txt|tail -1` bteq<<EOF .LOGON TEST/karthik,********; .EXPORT FILE=test1.txt; .set heading '' .set titledashes off; ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mkarthykeyan
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing a string variable from Unix to Sql Plus

Hi Guys, I am trying to pass a string variable from Unix shell script to sqlplus as a parameter. I have tried using single quotes with the variable name but it does not work. Please help me with it. I am using BASH. My code: Your help is much appreciated. Thanks, shil (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: infintenumbers
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing an unix variable to an XML

I need help I have a unix command : VERSION=$(ls -d /vsn/v12.??.??.?? | sort | tail -1) when i do echo $VERSION, i get the exact value, i want. Now i want to use this variable and pass it to an xml. How can i do that? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: samk
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing multiple column values to UNIX variable

sqlplus -s $USER_ID@$SID/$PWD<<EOF>sql_1.txt set feedback off set heading off select 114032 as c_1 from dual ; EOF for i in `cat sql_1.txt` do sh script_1.sh $i Currently i am passing one column value to the single unix variable. How can i pass the values from 2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rafa_fed2
2 Replies
Test::Script(3) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   Test::Script(3)

NAME
Test::Script - Basic cross-platform tests for scripts DESCRIPTION
The intent of this module is to provide a series of basic tests for 80% of the testing you will need to do for scripts in the script (or bin as is also commonly used) paths of your Perl distribution. Further, it aims to provide this functionality with perfect platform-compatibility, and in a way that is as unobtrusive as possible. That is, if the program works on a platform, then Test::Script should always work on that platform as well. Anything less than 100% is considered unacceptable. In doing so, it is hoped that Test::Script can become a module that you can safely make a dependency of all your modules, without risking that your module won't on some platform because of the dependency. Where a clash exists between wanting more functionality and maintaining platform safety, this module will err on the side of platform safety. FUNCTIONS
script_compiles script_compiles( 'script/foo.pl', 'Main script compiles' ); The "script_compiles" test calls the script with "perl -c script.pl", and checks that it returns without error. The path it should be passed is a relative unix-format script name. This will be localised when running "perl -c" and if the test fails the local name used will be shown in the diagnostic output. Note also that the test will be run with the same perl interpreter that is running the test script (and not with the default system perl). This will also be shown in the diagnostic output on failure. script_runs script_runs( 'script/foo.pl', 'Main script runs' ); The "script_runs" test executes the script with "perl script.pl" and checks that it returns success. The path it should be passed is a relative unix-format script name. This will be localised when running "perl -c" and if the test fails the local name used will be shown in the diagnostic output. The test will be run with the same perl interpreter that is running the test script (and not with the default system perl). This will also be shown in the diagnostic output on failure. SUPPORT
All bugs should be filed via the bug tracker at <http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/ReportBug.html?Queue=Test-Script> For other issues, or commercial enhancement and support, contact the author. AUTHOR
Adam Kennedy <adamk@cpan.org> SEE ALSO
prove, <http://ali.as/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Adam Kennedy. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of the license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.18.2 2009-11-23 Test::Script(3)