Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting > to empty files, but ambiguous redirect Post 302420911 by curleb on Wednesday 12th of May 2010 11:43:34 PM
Old 05-13-2010
You're asking the shell to open three files at once to write...not likely to work well. The [1,3] portion should be made to a literal value...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ambiguous redirect

i have following statement in the script echo -e "$str_XML_col_name:$str_field_type;" >> $i_DC_Key_$i_Tgt_DC_key_Schema here $i_DC_Key is DC key and $i_Tgt_DC_key are the variables............... when i ran the script i am getting error rec_merge.sh: $i_DC_Key_$i_Tgt_DC_key_Schema:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mahabunta
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ambiguous output redirect error

Hi everyone, While I was trying to do DATE=`date +"%Y%m%d_%H%M%S"` STARTLOG=$TUXSTDDIR/start_$DATE.log tmboot -y > $STARTLOG 2>&1 I got an error i.e. Ambiguous output redirect error. Here the first part is to boot the account so there is nothing wrong with that.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pareshan
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Pull out multiple files from DB table and redirect all those files to a differetn directory?

Hi everyone!! I have a database table, which has file_name as one of its fields. Example: File_ID File_Name Directory Size 0001 UNO_1232 /apps/opt 234 0002 UNO_1234 /apps/opt 788 0003 UNO_1235 /apps/opt 897 0004 UNO_1236 /apps/opt 568 I have to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ss3944
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ambiguous redirect issue

I am trying to run the following script and I am getting an "ambiguous redirect" error. I have checked to make sure that the files are all where I have specified and are read/write as needed. Any ideas? Note: I have removed the actual path info for privacy sake. I have triple checked to make... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: malantha
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ambiguous redirect

Hello there, I'm totally new in bash programming and ran into my first problem. My script should generate 3 textfiles where the content of the first and the third row are the same in each file. Only the second row is different. This is what I did in a very simplified explanation: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: johndoe
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ambiguous redirect error

This script has ambiguous redirect error. ... cd $HOME cd folder/work # search all subfolders in work directory find -mindepth 1 -maxdepth 1 -type d | while read directory do CUR_FOLDER="${directory#"./"}" cd $CUR_FOLDER chmod 644 * for ff in *; do if ; then ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: candyme
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Receiving 'ambiguous redirect' when trying to run command against multiple files

I came across the command string on https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/141885-awk-removing-data-before-after-pattern.html which was what I was looking for to be able to remove data before a certain pattern. However, outputting the result to a file seems to work on an individual basis... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: HLee1981
4 Replies

8. Linux

Ambiguous redirect error and syntax error when using on multiple files

Hi, I need help on following linux bash script. When I linux commands for loop or while loop on individual file it runs great. but now I want the script to run on N number of files so it gives me ambiguous redirect error on line 12 and syntax error on line 22 : (pls help ); #!/bin/bash #... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Madhusudan Das
16 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ambiguous output redirect in xterm

Hi all, I've been working on a bash script to help with backups that I have to do at work. One of the lines in the script is supposed to launch an xterm, log into a specific server node and launch a tar backup to tape. This part works ok, but I've been trying to get stdout and stderr to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Exitalterego
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

$1”: ambiguous redirect

New to the site, please let me know I'm not meeting the post guidelines. I'm creating a bash script to generate a report with output from a grep command. The goal is to direct the output to a different log file by using a 'logger file'. But I get this error during the run: $1: ambiguous... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dallas88
5 Replies
PIVOT_ROOT(8)						       Maintenance Commands						     PIVOT_ROOT(8)

NAME
pivot_root - change the root file system SYNOPSIS
pivot_root new_root put_old DESCRIPTION
pivot_root moves the root file system of the current process to the directory put_old and makes new_root the new root file system. Since pivot_root(8) simply calls pivot_root(2), we refer to the man page of the latter for further details. Note that, depending on the implementation of pivot_root, root and cwd of the caller may or may not change. The following is a sequence for invoking pivot_root that works in either case, assuming that pivot_root and chroot are in the current PATH: cd new_root pivot_root . put_old exec chroot . command Note that chroot must be available under the old root and under the new root, because pivot_root may or may not have implicitly changed the root directory of the shell. Note that exec chroot changes the running executable, which is necessary if the old root directory should be unmounted afterwards. Also note that standard input, output, and error may still point to a device on the old root file system, keeping it busy. They can easily be changed when invoking chroot (see below; note the absence of leading slashes to make it work whether pivot_root has changed the shell's root or not). EXAMPLES
Change the root file system to /dev/hda1 from an interactive shell: mount /dev/hda1 /new-root cd /new-root pivot_root . old-root exec chroot . sh <dev/console >dev/console 2>&1 umount /old-root Mount the new root file system over NFS from 10.0.0.1:/my_root and run init: ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1 up # for portmap # configure Ethernet or such portmap # for lockd (implicitly started by mount) mount -o ro 10.0.0.1:/my_root /mnt killall portmap # portmap keeps old root busy cd /mnt pivot_root . old_root exec chroot . sh -c 'umount /old_root; exec /sbin/init' <dev/console >dev/console 2>&1 SEE ALSO
chroot(1), mount(8), pivot_root(2), umount(8) AVAILABILITY
The pivot_root command is part of the util-linux-ng package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux-ng/. Linux Feb 23, 2000 PIVOT_ROOT(8)