Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: echo "$$date"
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting echo "$$date" Post 302420470 by erora on Tuesday 11th of May 2010 06:25:50 PM
Old 05-11-2010
echo "$$date"

Hi
When giving this command, it prints 264date or echo $$ prints 264. What does this 264 mean?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. What is on Your Mind?

[[ $(date +%Y) == 2007 ]] && echo "Happy New Year"

Same as the Title! :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ripat
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

add seconds to: date"|"time"|"HHMMSS

Hey all, I have a shell that invokes a AWK. In this AWK i want invoke a function that receives 3 parameters: date: 20080831 time: 235901 duration: 00023 that function receive this 3 parameters and sum to this value two more seconds: 2008083123590100025 Remember that in case that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaconga
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

"sed" to check file size & echo " " to destination file

Hi, I've modified the syslogd source to include a thread that will keep track of a timer(or a timer thread). My intention is to check the file size of /var/log/messages in every one minute & if the size is more than 128KB, do a echo " " > /var/log/messages, so that the file size will be set... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jockey007
7 Replies

4. AIX

xx=`date +"%a %b %d"`;rsh xxx grep "^$XX" zzz ?

AIX 4.2 I am trying to do an rsh grep to search for date records inside server logs by doing this : xx=`date +"%a %b %d"` rsh xxx grep "^$XX" zzz gives : grep: 0652-033 Cannot open Jun. grep: 0652-033 Cannot open 11. But if I do : xx=`date +"%a %b %d"` grep "^$XX" zzz it works... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between using "echo" builtin and /bin/echo

So in my shell i execute: { while true; do echo string; sleep 1; done } | read line This waits one second and returns. But { while true; do /bin/echo string; sleep 1; done } | read line continues to run, and doesn't stop until i kill it explicitly. I have tried this in bash as well as zsh,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ulidtko
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

With that logic this echoes "echo". Question about echo!

echo `echo ` doesn't echoes anything. And it's logic. But echo `echo `echo ` ` does echoes "echo". What's the logic of it? the `echo `echo ` inside of the whole (first) echo, echoes nothing, so the first echo have to echo nothing but echoes "echo" (too much echoing :P):o (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

8. AIX

echo $varibla | mail -s "subject" "xxx@xxx.com" not ruuning as expected

Hi Folks, As per the subject, the following command is not working as expected. echo $variable | mail -s "subject" "xxx@xxx.com" Could anyone figure it out whats wrong with this. I am using AIX box. Regards, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gjarms
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

tcsh - understanding difference between "echo string" and "echo string > /dev/stdout"

I came across and unexpected behavior with redirections in tcsh. I know, csh is not best for redirections, but I'd like to understand what is happening here. I have following script (called out_to_streams.csh): #!/bin/tcsh -f echo Redirected to STDOUT > /dev/stdout echo Redirected to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcink
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk "date" and "system" command

Hello experts! I need your help please I have a file.txt of which I want to extract 3rd and 4th columns with date with the form e.g.: 2016-11-25 03:14:50and pass them to "date" command, but also append the 9th column in a file as well. So I want to execute date -d '2016-11-25 03:14:50' ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: phaethon
2 Replies
BLKCAT(1)						      General Commands Manual							 BLKCAT(1)

NAME
blkcat - Display the contents of file system data unit in a disk image. SYNOPSIS
blkcat [-ahswvV] [-f fstype] [-u unit_size] [-i imgtype] [-o imgoffset] [-b dev_sector_size] image [images] unit_addr [num] DESCRIPTION
blkcat displays num data units (default is one) starting at the unit address unit_addr from image to stdout in different formats (default is raw). blkcat was called dcat in TSK versions prior to 3.0.0. ARGUMENTS
-a Display the contents in ASCII -f fstype Specify image as a specific file type. If 'swap' is given here, the image will be displayed in pages of size 4096 bytes. If 'raw' is given, then 512-bytes is used as the default size. The '-u' flag can change the default size. Use '-f list' to list the sup- ported file system types. If not given, autodetection methods are used. -h Display the contents in hexdump -s Display statistics on the image (unit size, file block size, and number of fragments). -u unit_size Specify the size of the default data unit for raw, blkls, and swap images. -i imgtype Identify the type of image file, such as raw or split. Use '-i list' to list the supported types. If not given, autodetection methods are used. -o imgoffset The sector offset where the file system starts in the image. -b dev_sector_size The size, in bytes, of the underlying device sectors. If not given, the value in the image format is used (if it exists) or 512-bytes is assumed. -v Verbose output to stderr. -V Display version. -w Display the contents in an HTML table format. image [images] One (or more if split) disk or partition images whose format is given with '-i'. unit_addr Address of the disk unit to display. The size of a unit on this file system can be determined using the -s option. num Number of data units to display. The basic functionality of blkcat can also be achieved using dd. To determine which inode has allocated a given unit, the ifind(1) command can be used. EXAMPLES
# blkcat -hw image 264 4 or # blkcat -hw image 264 SEE ALSO
ifind(1) AUTHOR
Brian Carrier <carrier at sleuthkit dot org> Send documentation updates to <doc-updates at sleuthkit dot org> BLKCAT(1)