Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: String comparison using bash
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting String comparison using bash Post 302420357 by dunkar70 on Tuesday 11th of May 2010 11:15:46 AM
Old 05-11-2010
Try this...

Code:
#!/bin/bash
today=`date +%Y_%m_%d`
if [ ! -d /TS_File/${today} ]; then
    mkdir /TS_File/${today}
fi

Last edited by dunkar70; 05-11-2010 at 12:16 PM.. Reason: Corrected typo

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

string comparison

The script will read a bunch of names, and test if it contains "John", but as below apparently ~ does not work, so what is the easiest way to perform string comparison in bash shell script? thanks ... elif then echo "get John" .... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fedora
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash shell script string comparison

I want to remove a line that has empty string at second field when I use cut with delimeter , like below $cat demo hello, mum hello, #!/bin/sh while read line do if then # remove the current line command goes here fi done < "demo" i got an error message for above... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bonosungho
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

date comparison in bash

Hi I have this simple script: #!/bin/bash date1=2009:07:15:12:36 date2=2009:07:15:12:16 echo $date1 echo $date2 datediff= #datediff=date1-date2 echo datediff is$datediff How do i return the difference in seconds? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: carp.dk
6 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

Date comparison with 'string date having slashes and time zone' in Bash only

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I have standard web server log file. It contains different columns (like IP address, request result code, request type etc) including a date column with the format . I have developed a log analysis command line utility that displays... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TariqYousaf
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with string comparison

#!/bin/sh PRINTF=/usr/bin/printf MACHINE_NAME=`uname -n` TIME=`date +"%H"` $PRINTF "Welcome to $MACHINE_NAME. What is your name?\n" read NAME if ; then $PRINTF "Good morning $NAME, how are you?\n" elif ; then $PRINTF "Good afternoon $NAME, how are you?\n" else $PRINTF "Good... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ikeQ
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

to extract string from main string and string comparison

continuing from my previous post, whose link is given below as a reference https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/171076-shell-scripting.html#post302573569 consider there is create table commands in a file for eg: CREATE TABLE `Blahblahblah` ( `id` int(11) NOT NULL... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

passing letters from an array into a string for string comparison

attempting the hangman program. This was an optional assignment from the professor. I have completed the logical coding, debugging now. ##I have an array $wordString that initializes to a string of dashes ##reflecting the number of letters in $theWord ##every time the user enters a (valid)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lotsofideas
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparison of two file using bash scripting

I need following code in linux bash: Step 1: run a command and create file1 run a command and create file2 compare file1 and 2 if any difference go to step 1 (keep trying 4 times, if no success, abort program) else do nothing and continue program. now I'm... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kashif.live
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash not equal string comparison

Why does this cause an infinite loop? #!/bin/bash while ]; do echo "$(ipcs | awk '{print $2}')" done echo exit 0 I have verified I eventually get Semaphore so it should break out of the while loop. $ echo $(ipcs | awk '{print $2}') Shared shmid 262145 294914... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk string comparison unterminated quoted string andrule of thumb

I have the logic below to look up for matches within the columns between the two files with awk. In the if statement is where the string comparison is attempted with == The issue seems to be with the operands, as 1. when " '${SECTOR}' " -- double quote followed by single quote -- awk matches... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deadyetagain
1 Replies
BASHBUG(1)						      General Commands Manual							BASHBUG(1)

NAME
bashbug - report a bug in bash SYNOPSIS
bashbug [--version] [--help] [email-address] DESCRIPTION
bashbug is a shell script to help the user compose and mail bug reports concerning bash in a standard format. bashbug invokes the editor specified by the environment variable EDITOR on a temporary copy of the bug report format outline. The user must fill in the appropriate fields and exit the editor. bashbug then mails the completed report to bug-bash@gnu.org, or email-address. If the report cannot be mailed, it is saved in the file dead.bashbug in the invoking user's home directory. The bug report format outline consists of several sections. The first section provides information about the machine, operating system, the bash version, and the compilation environment. The second section should be filled in with a description of the bug. The third sec- tion should be a description of how to reproduce the bug. The optional fourth section is for a proposed fix. Fixes are encouraged. ENVIRONMENT
bashbug will utilize the following environment variables if they exist: EDITOR Specifies the preferred editor. If EDITOR is not set, bashbug defaults to emacs. HOME Directory in which the failed bug report is saved if the mail fails. TMPDIR Directory in which to create temporary files and directories. SEE ALSO
bash(1) AUTHORS
Brian Fox, Free Software Foundation bfox@gnu.org Chet Ramey, Case Western Reserve University chet@po.cwru.edu GNU Bash-4.0 1998 July 30 BASHBUG(1)