Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat The difference between init.d and xinit.d dir ... Post 302420353 by Praveen_218 on Tuesday 11th of May 2010 11:12:15 AM
Old 05-11-2010
The difference between init.d and xinit.d dir ...

What's the difference between the two. I've seen xinit.d directory not always but on some systems.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Init 6 & Init 0 problem

Hi Expert, I have encountered some problem with my SUN system. Everytime when i issue command #init 6 OR #init 0 it just logout and prompt for login again instead of rebooting the server when run init 6 and system shutdown when run init 0.. I can only reboot the system using reboot ... Was... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sc2005
6 Replies

2. Solaris

difference between init and shutdown

Hi, Am new to solaris.Can anyone explains me the difference between using init and shutdown command. As per my knowledge shutdown will give notification to users, is there anything apart from that. thanks in advance. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogerben
6 Replies

3. Linux

How to I change init levels after typing init 1

Dear all, I typed in init 1 on my redhat box as root and according to wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runlevel): 1 Single-User Mode Does not configure network interfaces, start daemons, or allow non-root logins So now I can't connect back to it. How do I change the init back to 3?... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: z1dane
8 Replies

4. Red Hat

Difference between 'init s' and 'init 1'

What is the difference between 'init s' and 'init 1'. I know that both will work to change the current run level to single user mode. Is there any difference in those two commands? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: praveen_b744
5 Replies

5. Solaris

Difference between run level & init level

what are the major Difference Between run level & init level (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajaramrnb
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problem on init 0, execution is the same with init 6

Hi, I am experiencing a weird thing on my SUNFIRE machine with Solaris 9 OS. When I do init 0 to shutdown the machine to go to ok prompt, what it did was shutdown and reboot like an init 6 command do. I did check the corresponding rc scripts that were involved with init 0 and compared with rc... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yenthanh
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

init-script failing because of /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions

I encountered a problem on one of our database servers. OS: CentOS 5.5 final Kernel: 2.6.18-238.5.1.el5.028stab085.2 (OpenVZ kernel) We wrote some DB-Start/Stop-scripts ("/db2/admin/scripts_dba/start_services.ksh" and ".../stop_services.ksh") to start the database instances. (Database... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bakunin
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Difference b/w init s and init1 in red hat linux?

Hi, Guys can any one explain me the difference between init s and init 1 in linux? this would be very useful.... thanx in advance.. regards Amandeep (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aman.singh2886
3 Replies

9. Red Hat

Restart service xinit.d or init.d ?

Hello How do I restart init.d ?? (centos 6.5) Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnnn
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Xinit

Dear All On my solaris server after login and issuing xinit to reach desktop I got the following message : "X server cannot be started on display :0... see file /var/dt/Xerrors for details" Can you please do me favor and let me know what is wrong now on my server? Thank you in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hadimotamedi
2 Replies
STARTX(1)                                                     General Commands Manual                                                    STARTX(1)

NAME
startx - initialize an X session SYNOPSIS
startx [ [ client ] options ... ] [ -- [ server ] [ display ] options ... ] DESCRIPTION
The startx script is a front end to xinit(1) that provides a somewhat nicer user interface for running a single session of the X Window System. It is often run with no arguments. Arguments immediately following the startx command are used to start a client in the same manner as xinit(1). The special argument '--' marks the end of client arguments and the beginning of server options. It may be convenient to specify server options with startx to change on a per-session basis the default color depth, the server's notion of the number of dots-per-inch the display device presents, or take advantage of a different server layout, as permitted by the Xorg(1) server and specified in the xorg.conf(5) configuration. Some examples of specifying server arguments follow; consult the manual page for your X server to determine which arguments are legal. startx -- -depth 16 startx -- -dpi 100 startx -- -layout Multihead To determine the client to run, startx first looks for a file called .xinitrc in the user's home directory. If that is not found, it uses the file xinitrc in the xinit library directory. If command line client options are given, they override this behavior and revert to the xinit(1) behavior. To determine the server to run, startx first looks for a file called .xserverrc in the user's home directory. If that is not found, it uses the file xserverrc in the xinit library directory. If command line server options are given, they override this behavior and revert to the xinit(1) behavior. Users rarely need to provide a .xserverrc file. See the xinit(1) manual page for more details on the arguments. The system-wide xinitrc and xserverrc files are found in the /etc/X11/xinit directory. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
DISPLAY This variable gets set to the name of the display to which clients should connect. Note that this gets set, not read. XAUTHORITY This variable, if not already defined, gets set to $(HOME)/.Xauthority. This is to prevent the X server, if not given the -auth argument, from automatically setting up insecure host-based authentication for the local host. See the Xserver(1) and Xsecurity(7) manual pages for more information on X client/server authentication. FILES
$(HOME)/.xinitrc Client to run. Typically a shell script which runs many programs in the background. $(HOME)/.xserverrc Server to run. The default is X. /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc Client to run if the user has no .xinitrc file. /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc Server to run if the user has no .xserverrc file. SEE ALSO
xinit(1), X(7), Xserver(1), Xorg(1), xorg.conf(5) X Version 11 xinit 1.3.2 STARTX(1)