Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting New line characters in Ascii file Post 302420230 by appu2176 on Tuesday 11th of May 2010 04:49:14 AM
Old 05-11-2010
New line characters in Ascii file

I am having a file(1234.txt) downloaded from windows server (in Ascii format).However when i ftp this file to Unix server and try to work with it..i am unable to do anything.When i try to open the file using vi editor the file opens in the following format ...

Code:
@
@
@
@
@
@
@
@
"1234.txt" 1 line, 73232 characters

I believe the whole file is being treated as a single line.

when i view the file using more command...the following is the output...where i could see the end-of-line charaters(^M) similar to binary file opened in vi editor.

Code:

more 1234.txt

00:06:00 CARD TAKEN^M 00:06:01 TRANSACTION END^M*901*05/05/2010*00:45*^M *TRANSACTION START*^M CARD INSERTED^MCARD: *****************^MDATE 05-05-10 TIME 00:45:11^M 00:4
5:22 PIN ENTERED^M*902*05/05/2010*00:45*^M *9561*1*w*0, M-00, R-0

The same file if i open using wordpad or ultraedit in windows,the following is the output (the correct format)

Code:

00:06:00 CARD TAKEN
00:06:01 TRANSACTION END
*901*05/05/2010*00:45*
*TRANSACTION START*
CARD INSERTED
CARD: *****************
DATE 05-05-10 TIME 00:45:11
00:45:22 PIN ENTERED
*902*05/05/2010*00:45*
*9561*1*w*0, M-00, R-0

I am not sure where i am making mistake.

I tried FTP in ASCII as well as binary format and i tried the following awk command as suggested by Franklin 52 in one of the similar post earlier

Code:

awk '{printf "%s\r\n", $0}' 1234.txt >> 1234.txt1

still i am not getting the output in unix similar to wordpad/ultra edit.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Hex characters of ascii file

Hi, Whats the command or how do you display the hexadecimal characters of an ascii file. thanks Bud (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: budrito
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multibyte characters to ASCII

Hello, Is there any UNIX utility/command/executable that will convert mutlibyte characters to standard single byte ASCII characters in a given file? and Is there any UNIX utility/command/executable that will recognize multibyte characters in a given file name? The typical multibyte... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Weird Ascii characters in file names

Hi. I have files in my OS that has weird file names with not-conventional ascii characters. I would like to run them but I can't refer them. I know the ascii # of the problematic characters. I can't change their name since it belongs to a 3rd party program... but I want to run it. is there... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yamsin789
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

read in a file character by character - replace any unknown ASCII characters with spa

Can someone help me to write a script / command to read in a file, character by character, replace any unknown ASCII characters with space. then write out the file to a new filename/ Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghav525
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert ascii values into ascii characters

Hi gurus, I have a file in unix with ascii values. I need to convert all the ascii values in the file to ascii characters. File contains nearly 20000 records with ascii values. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeeppvk
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check if the file has EBCDIC or ascii characters

Hi, is there a way to check if the initial few characters are ebcdic or ascii in a file? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ahmedwaseem2000
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing these non-ASCII characters from a file

Hi, I have many text files which contain some non-ASCII characters. I attach the screenshots of one of the files for people to have a look at. The issue is even after issuing the non-ASCII removal commands one of the characters does not go away. The character that goes away is the black one with a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identify extended ascii characters in a file

Hi, Is there a way to identify the lines in a file having extended ascii characters and display the same? For instance I have a file abc.txt having below data aaa|bbb|111|This is first line aaa|bbb|222|This is secõnd line aaa|bbb|333|This is third line aaa|bbb|444|This is foùrth line... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: decci_7
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert UTF-8 file to ASCII/ISO8859-1 OR replace characters

I am trying to develop a script which will work on a source UTF-8 file and perform one or more of the following It will accept the target encoding as an argument e.g. US-ASCII or ISO-8859-1, etc 1. It should replace all occurrences of characters outside target character set by " " (space) or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemkiran.s
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Lower ASCII characters.

Hi, I'm writing a BBS telnet program. I'm having issues with it not displaying lower ASCII characters. For example, instead of displaying the "smiley face" character (Ctrl-B), it displays ^B. Is this because i'm using Ncurses? If so, is there any way around this? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ignatius
3 Replies
START 
TRANSACTION(7) SQL Commands START TRANSACTION(7) NAME
START TRANSACTION - start a transaction block SYNOPSIS
START TRANSACTION [ transaction_mode [, ...] ] where transaction_mode is one of: ISOLATION LEVEL { SERIALIZABLE | REPEATABLE READ | READ COMMITTED | READ UNCOMMITTED } READ WRITE | READ ONLY DESCRIPTION
This command begins a new transaction block. If the isolation level or read/write mode is specified, the new transaction has those charac- teristics, as if SET TRANSACTION [set_transaction(7)] was executed. This is the same as the BEGIN [begin(7)] command. PARAMETERS
Refer to SET TRANSACTION [set_transaction(7)] for information on the meaning of the parameters to this statement. COMPATIBILITY
In the standard, it is not necessary to issue START TRANSACTION to start a transaction block: any SQL command implicitly begins a block. PostgreSQL's behavior can be seen as implicitly issuing a COMMIT after each command that does not follow START TRANSACTION (or BEGIN), and it is therefore often called ``autocommit''. Other relational database systems might offer an autocommit feature as a convenience. The SQL standard requires commas between successive transaction_modes, but for historical reasons PostgreSQL allows the commas to be omit- ted. See also the compatibility section of SET TRANSACTION [set_transaction(7)]. SEE ALSO
BEGIN [begin(7)], COMMIT [commit(7)], ROLLBACK [rollback(7)], SAVEPOINT [savepoint(7)], SET TRANSACTION [set_transaction(7)] SQL - Language Statements 2010-05-14 START TRANSACTION(7)