Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Newbie bash scripting help requested Post 302419921 by Scott on Monday 10th of May 2010 05:31:38 AM
Old 05-10-2010
Hi.

You never do call the function. Your if statement is testing a literal string "testfunc", which would always be "true" (as a non empty string)

Correct would be:
Code:
#!/bin/bash

testfunc() {
    echo "Inside function testfunc()"
    return 0
}

if testfunc; then
    echo "testfunc() returned true"
else
    echo "testfunc() returned false"
fi

Or:
Code:
#!/bin/bash

testfunc() {
    echo "Inside function testfunc()"
    return 0
}

testfunc
if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
    echo "testfunc() returned true"
else
    echo "testfunc() returned false"
fi

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie - Need help in bash scripting

Hi there, I am a student and currently working on a project. I have a file that contains about 50 filenames. (1.txt, 2.txt, 3.txt ...). I would like to know how can I store these filenames into a variable using a loop? I would appreciate if anyone can help me. Thank You. Regards, Bib (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolbib
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell Scripting Newbie

I'm relatively new at this scripting game, just need to learn some basic stuff for data handling. My current need is to write a script that loops through a textfile of filenames, and for each file removes the first line and re-writes that file to a new name. In fact I could do with knowing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mattyjim2
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting Newbie

Seems simple but I am having difficulty with this one: I am trying to write a single command line argument (which will be a path) - the program should print out the owner of the path. I can not get anything I write to run. Please help. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kymmers7
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

scripting newbie needs help

I have written a script that will email a generic user when a device is "offline". I would like to enhance this by having the script lookup a contact's email and automatically add it to the MAIL_LIST. I am trying to lookup and return data based on a field common in two files File 1 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: irishluck66
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

scripting newbie... some help please?

hi all, i am just getting in to bash scripting, so don't be too harsh... i've created this little backup script, and it's just awfull... ugly, doesn't work like I want it to, the works. anyways, i was hoping some of you might help me improve it and learn a little in the process. what i... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmd9qs
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Scripting NEWBIE - Need Help

Could someone please recommend a very good shell scripting book for me. I would be starting a new job that would require a very good understanding of shell scripting. Please help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayoka
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting needed for newbie

Hi, I am newbie in shell scripting I have a file name like simple.txt which comes from Mainframe systems onto windows dir every 15 minutes daily. File name is same. Every 15 minutes it updates. I need to write shell script to check if the file arrived every 15 min or not. If the new file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chinniforu2003
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Scripting Newbie

Hi Guys, I want to create a shell script to run multiple jobs in sequence. Explaination - If I were to run each jobs individually I would have gone to folder - "abin"(where my shellscript is place) as follows cd abin abin > runappeng.sh abc001 Now, I have list of programs which are like... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: chaits84
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash scripting - Newbie

Hi all, I have drill to do and I'll very appreciate your help: Please create a simple CSV file as follow (3 columns and 4 rows): A,B,C A,”B,C”,D “A,B”,C,D o A,B,”C,D” - Please refer to the comma between the quotation marks as a parameter and not as a separator. - Please provide... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: elior
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie needs help with some bash scripting

Please bear with me, I'm a beginner but have had some experience and decent knowledge to understand things as I read them and I'm in the process of trying to learn more. I recently inherited a UNIX server which has a bash script which is part of a crontab schedule that needs to be modified (or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Danylko
3 Replies
ATF-SH(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 ATF-SH(1)

NAME
atf-sh [-s shell] -- interpreter for shell-based test programs SYNOPSIS
atf-sh script DESCRIPTION
atf-sh is an interpreter that runs the test program given in script after loading the atf-sh(3) library. atf-sh is not a real interpreter though: it is just a wrapper around the system-wide shell defined by ATF_SHELL. atf-sh executes the inter- preter, loads the atf-sh(3) library and then runs the script. You must consider atf-sh to be a POSIX shell by default and thus should not use any non-standard extensions. The following options are available: -s shell Specifies the shell to use instead of the value provided by ATF_SHELL. ENVIRONMENT
ATF_LIBEXECDIR Overrides the builtin directory where atf-sh is located. Should not be overridden other than for testing purposes. ATF_PKGDATADIR Overrides the builtin directory where libatf-sh.subr is located. Should not be overridden other than for testing purposes. ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used in the generated scripts. Scripts must not rely on this variable being set to select a specific interpreter. EXAMPLES
Scripts using atf-sh(3) should start with: #! /usr/bin/env atf-sh Alternatively, if you want to explicitly choose a shell interpreter, you cannot rely on env(1) to find atf-sh. Instead, you have to hardcode the path to atf-sh in the script and then use the -s option afterwards as a single parameter: #! /path/to/bin/atf-sh -s/bin/bash ENVIRONMENT
ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used in the generated scripts. SEE ALSO
atf-sh(3) BSD
September 27, 2014 BSD