Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Write message to another user on same network Post 302419868 by tlarkin on Monday 10th of May 2010 12:37:15 AM
Old 05-10-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
That's only allowed for root or local consoles, my friend's home server tells me.

There's probably not one that wouldn't require some preconfiguration; if it existed you'd be getting spam on it like the old Windows Messaging service.
That is why I said to do the ssh and applescript, you can also use the 'say' command and have the Mac's voice utility do text to speech for an audio alert.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

WRITE a message in console

Hi all, I have a requirement, where I need to do some calculations and based on the results I need to write a message to the user from a shell script. Is it possible to `write' inside the script? Something like the below one.. #! /bin/ksh write user12 << EOF Hello World <<EOF For... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guruparan18
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find all files with group read OR group write OR user write permission

I need to find all the files that have group Read or Write permission or files that have user write permission. This is what I have so far: find . -exec ls -l {} \; | awk '/-...rw..w./ {print $1 " " $3 " " $4 " " $9}' It shows me all files where group read = true, group write = true... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shunter63
5 Replies

3. Programming

How to broadcast a message across the network using Socket programming in C??

My problem definition is ,I have to send a message from one node in a network and it has to be broadcasted to all other nodes in the network.The program what I have given below will be running in all the nodes in the network.The same program should be capable of sending(broadcasting) and receiving.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vigneshinbox
1 Replies

4. IP Networking

network message explanation pls

Hi guys, I know some about networking but I know some message below but Can anyone give me full explanation about these message below and how to generate these messages 1 14:52:49.463851 arp who-has 192.168.0.107 tell 192.168.0.108 2 14:52:49.463851 arp reply 192.168.0.107 is-at... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: peac3
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Write a message on specific user terminal

Hi All, Need urgent help!!! Can anyone tellme how can we send a message on specific user terminal and get a response from user in return. Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sadhana
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Write a scripts to kill idle user for 60 min. & email user list to admin in text file

Folks, I have written one script for following condition by referring some of online post in this forum. Please correct it if I'm missing something in it. (OS: AIX 5.3) List the idle user. (I used whoidle command to list first 15 user and get username, idle time, pid and login time).... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumit30
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

NFS mounted drive showing Write protected message

Hi We have two servers name A and B . I have a folder "Share" on A was NFS mounted to "B" server. I have set the ACL permissions using setfacl , so that both (One user from Server A and another user from Server B) users can read and write to the directory. Both users can create the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshkumar
0 Replies

8. Solaris

Why this message came when i added user in group?

Hi all, When I added one user in in this group hhs_gl6 following message got generated. -bash-3.00$ /usr/local/bin/sudo /usr/sbin/usermod -G hhs_gl6 vivek UX: /usr/sbin/usermod: hhs_gl6 name should be all lower case or numeric. However when I cheked the user in /etc/group file, the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Write file over network

Hello Forum, I have an embedded Busybox system with ash shell. On this system is a service with logging output. I want to have this logfile on another computer. This service creates the log file, but I can specify the filename via parameter. The memory is very fast filled up. What could be the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: peterfarge
6 Replies
wnn_hinsi.data(4)						   File Formats 						 wnn_hinsi.data(4)

NAME
wnn_hinsi.data - Wnn6 part of speech administration file SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/locale/ja/wnn/ja/hinsi.data DESCRIPTION
hinsi.data is a file that contains information required to administer the main parts of speech. Numbers are allocated in the order of the parts of speech and composite parts of speech defined in hinsi.data. These numbers are used when creating dictionary files and part of speech files, when looking up part of speech names by numbers from the client and server, and looking up the parts of speech in composite parts of speech. Numbers are assigned in ascending order starting at 0. Only the following operations are allowed for this file: appending new parts of speech or composite parts of speech to the end of the file and replacing lines consisting of only "@" with definitions of parts of speech or composite parts of speech. NEVER DELETE ENTRIES. "@" is used to reserve lines in the file in advance when part of speech names have not yet been determined. The part of speech formats for lines in this file are as follows: part_of_speech composite_part_of_speech $ part_of_speech : part_of_speech:...:part_of_speech All parts of speech appearing in definitions of composite parts of speech must be defined before the composite part of speech can be defined. There must not be more than one part of speech or composite part of speech with the same name. Everything on a line following a semicolon (;) is treated as comment and ignored. Information on this file (looking up part of speech names from part of speech numbers and looking up the structural elements of composite parts of speech) are provided by the library and can thus be referenced through the client process. EXAMPLES
Example 1: [SENTOU] ;Beginning of a sentence [MEISHI] ;Indicates a noun. [ICHIDAN] [ICHIDANMEI]$[ICHIDAN]:[MEISHI] ;A composite part of speech @ @ NOTES
Information on the main parts of speech must be consistent between all dictionaries and connection information files. Do not edit and change hinsi.data. (If the file is changed, the meaning of the part of speech numbers in dictionaries and connection information files created with the old part of speech administration file will change.) SunOS 5.10 28 May 1998 wnn_hinsi.data(4)