Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: NTP issues
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat NTP issues Post 302419075 by jagsrao on Thursday 6th of May 2010 07:23:37 AM
Old 05-06-2010
1. The /etc/localtime file is a hardlink to /usr/share/zoneinfo/Asia/calcutta. What next ?
2. If the Clock file has UTC =True, when system clock is synched to hardware clock, will the zone setting change ?

Regards

Jagdish

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

NTP and 11.i .....

Hi there! Does anybody know if HP-UX 11.i supports NTP? If yes, what version on NTP should be used? Thanx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: penguin-friend
1 Replies

2. IP Networking

Ntp

How can I install ntp on AIX (4.3-5.1) ? thnx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gismo
1 Replies

3. Solaris

ntp server and ntp client

All, How do you set a Solaris 9 server which received ntp updates from a ntp server to broadcast them on a local subnet. I have created a /etc/inet/ntp.conf file to receive the updates from a server on network and need to make this server become like a ntp relay from the main server. Any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bubba112557
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Ntp

Hello I use Solaris 10 and I have NTP packages arlrady installed pkginfo | grep -i ntp system SUNWntpr NTP, (Root) system SUNWntpu NTP, (Usr) How to configure NTP? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ntp Error

Hi everybody. I'm not sure where to post this, so I hope here is OK. I have 4 name servers and on one of the slaves, my log files are filling up with this error: ntpd: sendto() (fd=20): Invalid argument It is always the same IP, and only on this name server. A quick google revealed that the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gumball Dad
1 Replies

6. Solaris

What are the NTP 3 vulnerabilities?

Hi Guru I need to know which version of NTP is install in Solaris 10 box. How can I check it. IF NTP 3 in implemented then somebody told me implement NTP 4 due to security reasons, for that I have to tell what are the vulnerabilities present in NTP 3 to higher authorities. I could not able... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: amity
5 Replies

7. Linux

How often does Linux NTP server update its time with the external NTP server?

All here, thank you for listening. Now I've set up a Linux NTP server by adding a external windows NTP server in /etc/ntp.conf. Then I start the ntpd daemon. But how often does the Linux NTP server update its time with the external NTP server? I've looked up everywhere but found no information... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MichaelLi
1 Replies

8. HP-UX

Setting up NTP HP-UX clients from solaris NTP server

Hi I wonder if its possible to setup NTP clients running HP-UX o.s. from a solaris 10 NTP server? FR (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
3 Replies

9. Red Hat

NTP Authentication Issues: Help Please!

Hello everyone, I've been trying to set up NTP authentication between a server and a workstation. Both point to the same NTP server which is on a different physical box with its own IP address. I followed the steps below but I get the following result. How can I get this working? Expected... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rchaud10
0 Replies

10. Red Hat

Ntp client sync with local over ntp server

Hi, I have two ntp servers in my cluster and I want all the nodes in my cluster to sync with either of the ntp servers or just one. Unfortunately it keep rotating the sync, between my ntp server 1, ntp server 2 and local. Is there anyway I can change the sync to avoid local? # ntpq -p ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pjeedu2247
3 Replies
ADJKERNTZ(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					      ADJKERNTZ(8)

NAME
adjkerntz -- adjust the local time CMOS clock to reflect time zone changes and keep the current timezone offset for the kernel SYNOPSIS
adjkerntz -i adjkerntz -a [-s] DESCRIPTION
The adjkerntz utility maintains the proper relationship between the kernel clock, which is always set to UTC and the CMOS clock, which may be set to local time. The adjkerntz utility also informs the kernel about machine timezone shifts in order to maintain proper timestamps for local time file systems such as the MS-DOS file system. The main purpose of maintaining these timestamps properly is to keep the timestamps of a FreeBSD MS-DOS file system and an MS-DOS operating system synchronized when they are installed on the same system rather than fixing broken MS-DOS file timestamps. If the file /etc/wall_cmos_clock exists, it means that the CMOS clock keeps local time (MS-DOS and MS-Windows compatible mode). If that file does not exist, it means that the CMOS clock keeps UTC time. The adjkerntz utility passes this state to the machdep.wall_cmos_clock kernel variable. Adjustments may be needed at system startup and shutdown, and whenever a time zone change occurs. To handle these different situations, adjkerntz is invoked in two ways: -i This form handles system startups and shutdowns. The adjkerntz utility is invoked with this option from /etc/rc on entry to multi-user mode, before any other daemons have been started. The adjkerntz utility puts itself into the background. Then, for a local time CMOS clock, adjkerntz reads the local time from it and sets the kernel clock to the corresponding UTC time. The adjkerntz utility also stores the local time zone offset in the machdep.adjkerntz kernel variable, for use by subsequent invocations of 'adjkerntz -a' and by local time file systems. For a local time CMOS clock 'adjkerntz -i' pauses and remains inactive as a background daemon until it receives a SIGTERM. The SIGTERM will normally be sent by init(8) when the system leaves multi-user mode (usually, because the system is being shut down). After receiving the SIGTERM, adjkerntz reads the UTC kernel clock and updates the CMOS clock, if necessary, to ensure that it reflects the current local time zone. Then adjkerntz exits. -a [-s] This form is used to update the local time CMOS clock and kernel machdep.adjkerntz variable when time zone changes occur, e.g., when entering or leaving daylight savings time. The adjkerntz utility uses the kernel clock's UTC time, the previously stored time zone offset, and the changed time zone rule to calculate a new time zone offset. It stores the new offset into the machdep.adjkerntz kernel variable and updates the wall CMOS clock to the new local time. If 'adjkerntz -a' was started at a nonexistent time (during a timezone change), it exits with a warning diagnostic unless the -s option was used, in which case adjkerntz sleeps 30 minutes and tries again. This form should be invoked from root's crontab(5) every half hour between midnight and 5am, when most modern time zone changes occur. Warning: do not use the -s option in a crontab(5) command line, or multiple 'adjkerntz -a' instances could conflict with each other. The adjkerntz utility clears the kernel timezone structure and makes the kernel clock run in the UTC time zone. Super-user privileges are required for all operations. ENVIRONMENT
TZ Time zone change rule, see tzset(3); not needed when tzsetup(8) or zic(8) is used. FILES
/etc/localtime Current zoneinfo file, see tzsetup(8) and zic(8). /etc/wall_cmos_clock Empty file. Its presence indicates that the machine's CMOS clock is set to local time, while its absence indicates a UTC CMOS clock. DIAGNOSTICS
No diagnostics. If an error occurs, adjkerntz logs an error message via syslog(3) and exits with a nonzero return code. SEE ALSO
tzset(3), crontab(5), mount_msdosfs(8), rc(8), sysctl(8), tzsetup(8), zic(8) HISTORY
The adjkerntz utility appeared in FreeBSD 1.0. AUTHORS
Andrey A. Chernov <ache@astral.msk.su> BSD
March 8, 2012 BSD