Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Copying a files from a filter list and creating their associated parent directories Post 302418900 by hunter55 on Wednesday 5th of May 2010 04:22:00 PM
Old 05-05-2010
Just a quick update on my progress...it seems that the pax utility does the trick so far for what I need:

Code:
pax -rw -u -T 0000 -p am /datafiles /modfiles

This seems to copy all files that were modified within 1 day from /datafiles to /modfiles directory and does not preserve mod time (which is what I need).

It also seems to copy over the parent directory structures of the files which is great. Now for some further testing...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Backup script: Copying and removing directories based on list

I am writing a simple backup script, but I cannot figure out how to remove directories that are found in a list. For example: DONT_COPY=" .adobe/ .bin/google-earth " tar -zcvf - * --exclude=$DONT_COPY | openssl des3 -salt -k $1 | dd of=$(hostname)-$(date +%Y%m%d).tbz > COPIED Note that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dotancohen
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List directories and sub directories recursively excluding files

Hi, Please help me, how to get all the direcotries, its sub directories and its sub directories recursively, need to exclude all the files in the process. I wanted to disply using a unix command all the directories recursively excluding files. I tried 'ls -FR' but that display files as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pointers
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving files from several directories into parent

I am fairly new to bash(but am proficient in C++), and have only completed a few simple scripts. This is my first script that I actually need to do a serious task. All of my audiobooks are stored in traditional MP3 format: Music/Artist/Album/*.mp3 (which in this case is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gamendorf
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating named directories from a list of names

Hi There, I'm a competent computer user that is learning basic unix commands. This is a slightly hypothetical question (for now at least!) but I can see a need for doing something like this in the near future. So I recently learned this command mkdir foo{1..100} which of course create's... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lookslikejames
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to list all the files, directories and sub-directories in the current path except one directory?

Can anyone come up with a unix command that lists all the files, directories and sub-directories in the current directory except a folder called log.? Thank you in advance. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manjunath B
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying the files after filter

Hi Guys, i want copy the all files another direcotry after filtering the command. and tried as like below...it's not working. ls -ltr|awk '{print $9}'|grep "images\|\.htm"|cp *.* /home/oracle Thanks (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmk
13 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying data from files to directories

I have the following that I'd like to do: 1. I have split a file into separate files that I placed into the /tmp directory. These files are named F1 F2 F3 F4. 2. In addition, I have several directories which are alphabetized as dira dirb dirc dird. 3. I'd like to be able to copy F1 F2 F3 F4... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying files from parent directory only

Hello, Please can someone assist on a issue I am having. I want to find specific files in the parent directory only that have been modified over the last 2 days and copy them to another location. NOTE: The version of AIX I am using does not have MAXDEPTH. I have currently written the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dolph
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Archiving and moving files into directories, creating directories, etc.

how can i move "dataName".sql.gz into a folder called 'database' and then move "$fileName".tar.gz * .htaccess into a folder called 'www' with the entire gzipped file being "$fileName".tar.gz? Is this doable or overly complex. so mydemo--2015-03-23-1500.tar.gz > database -... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wyclef
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying files to directories based on first 6 character

guys, i did create a script but its too long, though it function the same. # cat nightlyscan.sh #!/usr/ksh deyt=`date +"%Y-%m-%d"` for i in `ls -lrt|grep $deyt|awk '{print $9}'` do cp -f $i /S1/Sophos/logger/ done # but i did not paste it all. this is the desired. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
9 Replies
UNBURDEN-HOME-DIR(1)						   User Commands					      UNBURDEN-HOME-DIR(1)

NAME
unburden-home-dir - unburdens home directories from caches and trashes SYNOPSIS
unburden-home-dir [ -n | -u | -f filter ] unburden-home-dir ( -h | --help | --version ) DESCRIPTION
unburden-home-dir unburdens the home directory from files and directory which cause high I/O or disk usage but are neither important if they are lost, e.g. caches or trash directory. When being run it moves the files and directories given in the configuration file to a location outside the home directory, e.g. /tmp or /scratch, and puts appropriate symbolic links in the home directory instead. OPTIONS
-f just unburden those directory matched by the given filter (a perl regular expression) -- matches the already unburdened directories if used together with -u. -F Do not check for files in use with lsof before (re)moving files. -n dry run (show what would be done) -u undo (reverse the functionality and put stuff back into the home directory) -h, --help show this help --version show the program's version EXAMPLES
Example configuration files can be found at /usr/share/doc/unburden-home-dir/examples on Debian-based systems and in the etc/ directory of the source tar ball. FILES
/etc/unburden-home-dir, /etc/unburden-home-dir.list, ~/.unburden-home-dir, ~/.unburden-home-dir.list, /etc/default/unburden-home-dir, /etc/X11/Xsession.d/95unburden-home-dir Read /usr/share/doc/unburden-home-dir/README on debianoid installations or README in the source tar ball for an explanation of these files. SEE ALSO
corekeeper (http://openvswitch.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=corekeeper), autotrash(1), agedu(1), bleachbit(1). For du(1)-like but more comfortable tools, see ncdu(1) (text-mode), baobab(1) (GNOME), filelight(1) (KDE), xdiskusage(1) (X tool calling du(1) itself), or xdu(1) (X tool reading du(1) output from STDIN). AUTHOR
Unburden Home Dir is written and maintained by Axel Beckert <beckert@phys.ethz.ch> LICENSE
Unburden Home Dir is available under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL) version 2 or any later version at your option. Unburden Home Directory May 2012 UNBURDEN-HOME-DIR(1)