Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Python String <--> Number
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Python String <--> Number Post 302418281 by kazikamuntu on Monday 3rd of May 2010 05:39:53 PM
Old 05-03-2010
Python String <--> Number

My question is so simple:

Code:
A = raw_input("A ")

if A[0:2] == '56': 
   VAR = (A + 54)/13 
else: 
   print "other operations"

if I write in input 5656565656
i want to make some arithmetic operations if the first input is 56XXX
but the output is
TypeError: cannot concatenate 'str' and 'int' objects
I want that this string is intendes as integer.
Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

python and string.find

Hi all, I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but i'll give it a try. Here is my problem: i have two files having basically the same things in it (hostnames): File 1 mituap01 mituap02 mituap03 File 2: mituap01 mituap04 mituap05 my goal is to get a .py out to check if pcs' in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: penguin-friend
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python - Scan for string

Hi i have a variable 'reform' and store the lines like reform= { record string(8) ID; string(4) PRD; date("YYMMDD", split = "800101") DateofManufact; string(4) PRDC_MODULE_NUM; string(1) END_OF_RECORD = "\n"; } I need to search for the character "\n"in the above variable... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dhanamurthy
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

changing number in bash (number is in form of string)

I have a txt file as database. when i run my program what it does is it ask me for 3 name and stored in the file as name1:name2:name3:1 when u enter 3 name it add those in file as above format and add 1 at the end. I what i want is if i enter same names again it changes that 1 to 2 and so... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Learnerabc
3 Replies

4. Programming

Python script for adding number

Dear All I am having following python script. def read_output(file): inp=open(file, "r") row=map(lambda x: x.split(), inp.readlines()) line= for r in row: f1, f2, f3, f4, t = r, int(r), r, int(r), float(r) line.append((f1,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bala06
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove lines between the start string and end string including start and end string Python

Hi, I am trying to remove lines once a string is found till another string is found including the start string and end string. I want to basically grab all the lines starting with color (closing bracket). PS: The line after the closing bracket for color could be anything (currently 'more').... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dabheeruz
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Maximum number of data in Python

Hi all, I would like to save my output data in two columns. I tried print(x,y) but have two problems: 1. There are ~10000 values for each x and y, but the intermediates are omitted; 2. I'd like to list data in two columns instead of two arrays (BTW, it's fine as I can format it using other... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sxiong
3 Replies

7. Programming

Python Count Number Of Occurence

Hello, I have a programming assignment to count number of occurrences of hours in particular file. Below is the code: fname = raw_input("Enter file name: ") if len(fname) < 1 : fname = "mbox-short.txt" largest = None fh = open(fname) counts = dict() test = list() for line in fh: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: infinitydon
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python replace string

Hi, I have a python variable with a value like this : string = "abc.de.fghijk.com:zyz.ab.fgfijk.com:abc.ef.fghijk.com" They are hostnames separated by the special character ":" . From this string I want to make a list with values : (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctrld
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Concatenate a string and number and compare that with another string in awk script

I have below code inside my awk script if ( $0 ~ /SVC IN:/ ) { svc_in=substr( $0,23 , 3); if (msg_start == 1 && msg_end == 0) { msg_arr=$0; } } else if ( $0 ~ /^SVC OUT:/ ) { svc_out=substr( $0, 9, 3); if (msg_start == 1 && msg_end == 0) ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhagya123
6 Replies

10. Programming

Python : Problem with " TypeError: float() argument must be a string or a number "

Hello ! I'm creating a CGI which allow to display graph from some data. The datas looks like : 2020-01-13-00-00,384.00,350.00 2020-01-13-06-00,384.00,350.00 2020-01-13-12-00,384.00,350.00 2020-01-13-18-00,384.00,350.00 2020-01-14-00-00,384.00,350.00... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Tim2424
1 Replies
RAKE(1) 						 Ruby Programmers Reference Guide						   RAKE(1)

NAME
rake -- Ruby Make SYNOPSIS
rake [--f Rakefile] [--version] [-CGNPgnqstv] [-D [PATTERN]] [-E CODE] [-I LIBDIR] [-R RAKELIBDIR] [-T [PATTERN]] [-e CODE] [-p CODE] [-r MODULE] [--rules] [variable=value] target ... DESCRIPTION
Rake is a simple ruby(1) build program with capabilities similar to the regular make(1) command. Rake has the following features: o Rakefiles (Rake's version of Makefiles) are completely defined in standard Ruby syntax. No XML files to edit. No quirky Makefile syntax to worry about (is that a tab or a space?). o Users can specify tasks with prerequisites. o Rake supports rule patterns to synthesize implicit tasks. o Flexible FileLists that act like arrays but know about manipulating file names and paths. o A library of prepackaged tasks to make building rakefiles easier. OPTIONS
--version Display the program version. -C --classic-namespace Put Task and FileTask in the top level namespace -D [PATTERN] --describe [PATTERN] Describe the tasks (matching optional PATTERN), then exit. -E CODE --execute-continue CODE Execute some Ruby code, then continue with normal task processing. -G --no-system --nosystem Use standard project Rakefile search paths, ignore system wide rakefiles. -I LIBDIR --libdir LIBDIR Include LIBDIR in the search path for required modules. -N --no-search --nosearch Do not search parent directories for the Rakefile. -P --prereqs Display the tasks and dependencies, then exit. -R RAKELIBDIR --rakelib RAKELIBDIR --rakelibdir RAKELIBDIR Auto-import any .rake files in RAKELIBDIR. (default is rakelib ) -T [PATTERN] --tasks [PATTERN] Display the tasks (matching optional PATTERN) with descriptions, then exit. -e CODE --execute CODE Execute some Ruby code and exit. -f FILE --rakefile FILE Use FILE as the rakefile. -h --help Prints a summary of options. -g --system Using system wide (global) rakefiles (usually ~/.rake/*.rake ). -n --dry-run Do a dry run without executing actions. -p CODE --execute-print CODE Execute some Ruby code, print the result, then exit. -q --quiet Do not log messages to standard output. -r MODULE --require MODULE Require MODULE before executing rakefile. -s --silent Like --quiet, but also suppresses the 'in directory' announcement. -t --trace Turn on invoke/execute tracing, enable full backtrace. -v --verbose Log message to standard output (default). --rules Trace the rules resolution. SEE ALSO
ruby(1) make(1) http://rake.rubyforge.org/ REPORTING BUGS
Bugs, features requests and other issues can be logged at <http://onestepback.org/redmine/projects/show/rake>. You will need an account to before you can post issues. Register at <http://onestepback.org/redmine/account/register>. Or you can send an email to the author. AUTHOR
Rake is written by Jim Weirich <jim@weirichhouse.org> UNIX
November 7, 2012 UNIX