Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Add new lines
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Add new lines Post 302418054 by pseudocoder on Sunday 2nd of May 2010 06:43:21 PM
Old 05-02-2010
At first sight it seems to work, and it does, but note the remaining trailing whitespace of the fourth line Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add lines into file

Hi, i have a file like: 00:00 8 00:01 2 00:04 5 00:07 10 . . . and i need to add the other minutes with value 0 and have a file like: 00:00 8 00:01 2 00:02 0 00:03 0 00:04 5 00:05 0 00:06 ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lestat
13 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed Add New Lines

Hello, I have a file that has data like this: one two three four five six seven eight nine ten Is there a quick way using sed of nawk to put each word on it's own line? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bestbuyernc
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Add new lines with a space in beginning

Hi file1.txt contains GigabitEthernet1/1 GigabitEthernet1/2 GigabitEthernet2/2 GigabitEthernet2/4 GigabitEthernet2/14 GigabitEthernet2/16 can anyone show me how to modify it as below. there is a space at the beginning of the next two lines . ie 'no shut' and 'switch..' !... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aejaz
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I add 4 lines together and then read the next 4 lines?

Hi, I have grep:ed on a file with which gives the below output. Total = 43 Total = 21 Total = 23 Total = 2 Total = 3 Total = 1 Total = 0 I would like to add the first 4th lines to a total amount, and do so on for the rest of the lines. I was thinking in terms of using while read.... (32 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_andrew
32 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add blank lines

Hi! I am trying to add blank lines at the end of a text file just before the last line. (This is a part of a script) For example this is my text file... lines with dashes are included The problem is that i dont know before hand the number of blank lines to be added. The number of blank... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jepeto
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to add duplicate lines

Hi, I have a file that looks like this: a_X data a_Y data b data c data d_X data d_Y data I **want** to duplicate the lines without the _X and _Ys. In other words, I want it to look like this a_X data a_Y data b data b data c data c data d_X data d_Y data (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikey11415
13 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to add new lines using sort

Hello, I'm trying to sort a file which has many lines with the sort command. I'd like to send the sorted content in the same file. But when I do that, I've the content which is sorted, but all is on one line... I view the content in Notepad++ Could somebody help me to keep the original... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tevious
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

search and replace, when found, delete multiple lines, add new set of lines?

hey guys, I tried searching but most 'search and replace' questions are related to one liners. Say I have a file to be replaced that has the following: $ cat testing.txt TESTING AAA BBB CCC DDD EEE FFF GGG HHH ENDTESTING This is the input file: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeuceLee
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract some lines from one file and add those lines to current file

hi, i have two files. file1.sh echo "unix" echo "linux" file2.sh echo "unix linux forums" now the output i need is $./file2.sh unix linux forums (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: snreddy_gopu
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add string into certain lines - sed

Hello all, I have surely an easy question - but at the moment I do not see the solution. All what I want is to add the string "/9201" within a file when a line starts with ":47A:". This is how a file look like: Information Tool :12:Delimiter :3:Space :47A:0329 :3:Space After the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: API
2 Replies
GIT-STRIPSPACE(1)						    Git Manual							 GIT-STRIPSPACE(1)

NAME
git-stripspace - Remove unnecessary whitespace SYNOPSIS
git stripspace [-s | --strip-comments] < input DESCRIPTION
Clean the input in the manner used by Git for text such as commit messages, notes, tags and branch descriptions. With no arguments, this will: o remove trailing whitespace from all lines o collapse multiple consecutive empty lines into one empty line o remove empty lines from the beginning and end of the input o add a missing to the last line if necessary. In the case where the input consists entirely of whitespace characters, no output will be produced. NOTE: This is intended for cleaning metadata, prefer the --whitespace=fix mode of git-apply(1) for correcting whitespace of patches or files in the repository. OPTIONS
-s, --strip-comments Skip and remove all lines starting with comment character (default #). -c, --comment-lines Prepend comment character and blank to each line. Lines will automatically be terminated with a newline. On empty lines, only the comment character will be prepended. EXAMPLES
Given the following noisy input with $ indicating the end of a line: |A brief introduction $ | $ |$ |A new paragraph$ |# with a commented-out line $ |explaining lots of stuff.$ |$ |# An old paragraph, also commented-out. $ | $ |The end.$ | $ Use git stripspace with no arguments to obtain: |A brief introduction$ |$ |A new paragraph$ |# with a commented-out line$ |explaining lots of stuff.$ |$ |# An old paragraph, also commented-out.$ |$ |The end.$ Use git stripspace --strip-comments to obtain: |A brief introduction$ |$ |A new paragraph$ |explaining lots of stuff.$ |$ |The end.$ GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.8.3.1 06/10/2014 GIT-STRIPSPACE(1)