Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Perl - CAPTURE query
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl - CAPTURE query Post 302417735 by drewk on Friday 30th of April 2010 11:45:29 AM
Old 04-30-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by gefa
When i run script with option 1 it works, however if I assign path to variable $tmpfile and try to use that it writes to $tmpfile and not /var/tmp/abc.tmp, what am I missing?

open (CAPTURE, '>>tmpfile');
print CAPTURE "$T1,$T2,$T3";
close (CAPTURE);

my $tmpfile='/var/tmp/abc.tmp';
open (CAPTURE, '>>$file');
print CAPTURE "$T1,$T2,$T3";
close (CAPTURE);
Change the single quotes ' ' in option 2 to double quotes " "

In Perl, no variable interpolation takes place inside single quotes but does in double quotes. In single quotes, open is trying to open a file literally called '$file" and of course fails.

You will solve your own problem on something like this if you check the return of open like so:

Code:
open (CAPTURE, ">>$file") || die "can't open $file cause $!"

Also, the for of open you are using there is being deprecated for a three argement form with a scalar handle. It allows the Perl interpreter to give you more meaningful error and compile errors if you use the 3 arg form of open:

Read about it here

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

lazy capture don't work (regexp in perl)

hello all im trying to capture only the first brackets but no matter what i do i keep capturing from the first brackets to the last one , here what i have : <% if (!Env.strLen(oidInvoice)); szDocumentTitle = Env.formatS("S",Env.getMsg("BP_INVOICE_ENUMERATION_CREATE_TITLE")) %> and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl query

a file test.dat has the following David Veterinarian John Orthopedist Jeff Dentist perl -p -e "s/\s*(\w+).*/$1/;" test.dat ......will print David Jonh Jeff how does the part in double quotes work out.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bishweshwar
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Query in perl

can any1 give me line by line explanation for the following perl script as i dunno perl .. n i have searched in google .. but still thn i wanna confirm my findings fro perl experts :mad: perl -e 'while (<>) { print; $num = 2 if /fail_halt/i; $num = 1 if (/failure/i && ($num < 1)); }... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dana Evans
2 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

Perl - PostGreSql query

Guys, I guess, I posted something in the wrong forum. Here it is - https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/67395-perl-postgrepsql-question.html Can you please help me with this? Regards, garric (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: garric
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Query Regarding format

Hello people. I have got the following script QM=ARGV; open (CHS_OUT, "echo 'DISPLAY QSTATUS(SYSTEM.CLUSTER.MY.QUEUE) all'|runmqsc $qm|"); while (<CHS_OUT>) { if ( /QUEUE\(/ ) { $QueueName = ValueParser("QUEUE", 6); } if ( /IPPROCS\(/ ) { $InpProcs = ValueParser("IPPROCS", 8); #print... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: King Nothing
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Perl] Capture system call error message.

Hi, I googled a bit, but could not find the answer to my problem. But I am sure it is a common issue. I have this code: #!/bin/perl -w #-d use strict; sub remsh_test() { my $host = $_; printf "\n----\n\n"; printf "remsh to $host with system call\n"; my $result = system... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejdv
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to capture date/time in seconds in PERL... Cant understand errors

I'm Using this script to find the time of a file. I'm very much new to PERL and found this script posted by some one on this forum. It runs perfectly fine, just that it gives me following errors with the accurate output as well. I jus want the output to be stored in another file so that i can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bankimmehta
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capture query returned values in file.

Hi All, I am connecting to Oracle DB from UNIX script. Want to capture all dates between start date and end date and store them in file. Once this is done, want to read dates one by one. How to achive this in UNIX and Oracle? Please let me know if you have any idea on the same. Thanks and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nagaraja Akkiva
4 Replies

9. Programming

Perl Query

Hi , Im using the below script to find the Good and Bad for the file permission. $rc=`find /etc/security/opasswd -perm 0600 -print -ls`; if($rc == 1) { print "GOOD: AD.1.8.4.1: The file /etc/security/opasswd exists and had permission 0600\n\n"; ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsiva
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capture output of open pipe to a file in perl

Hi, I am trying to capture the output of the an open pipe in perl. but I am not sure how to do this. can some one please help me do that? Below is the script I am using (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedwaseem2000
2 Replies
tmpfile(3C)						   Standard C Library Functions 					       tmpfile(3C)

NAME
tmpfile - create a temporary file SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> FILE *tmpfile(void); DESCRIPTION
The tmpfile() function creates a temporary file and opens a corresponding stream. The file will automatically be deleted when all refer- ences to the file are closed. The file is opened as in fopen(3C) for update (w+). The largest value that can be represented correctly in an object of type off_t will be established as the offset maximum in the open file description. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, tmpfile() returns a pointer to the stream of the file that is created. Otherwise, it returns a null pointer and sets errno to indicate the error. ERRORS
The tmpfile() function will fail if: EINTR A signal was caught during the execution of tmpfile(). EMFILE There are OPEN_MAX file descriptors currently open in the calling process. ENFILE The maximum allowable number of files is currently open in the system. ENOSPC The directory or file system which would contain the new file cannot be expanded. The tmpfile() function may fail if: EMFILE There are FOPEN_MAX streams currently open in the calling process. ENOMEM Insufficient storage space is available. USAGE
The stream refers to a file which is unlinked. If the process is killed in the period between file creation and unlinking, a permanent file may be left behind. The tmpfile() function has a transitional interface for 64-bit file offsets. See lf64(5). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
unlink(2), fopen(3C), mkstemp(3C), mktemp(3C), tmpnam(3C), lf64(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 4 Aug 2003 tmpfile(3C)