Sponsored Content
Special Forums News, Links, Events and Announcements Complex Event Processing RSS News Networked Networks Are Prone to Epic Failure Post 302417165 by Linux Bot on Wednesday 28th of April 2010 06:15:02 PM
Old 04-28-2010
Networked Networks Are Prone to Epic Failure

by Brandon Keim Wired.com Networks that are resilient on their own become fragile and prone to catastrophic failure when connected, suggests a new study with troubling implications for tightly linked modern infrastructures.* Electrical grids, water supplies, computer networks, roads, hospitals, financial systems -*all are tied to each other in ways that could [...]

More...

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Can you set up a networked printer as a local print queue?

Fairly simple question, I think. Still trying to get my head around AIX print queues. Most of our problems seem to stem from print queues going down. This generates help-desk calls when users call up to get their queues started or to get rid of the emails that qdaemon sends them. Looking at... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexop
0 Replies

2. Solaris

Epic Editor was not able to obtain a license for your use. Feature Epic Editor :Licen

Epic Editor was not able to obtain a license for your use. Feature Epic Editor :License server is down (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: durgaprasadr13
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Anyone ever used qemu and networked it ?

hi i got a virtual linux machine running on qemu my problem is connecting it to the internet im a bit confused weather i have to make a virtual network card in qemu and than tun tap it? can anyone thats done it before help me out? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: russian460
1 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

Networks alternative to Internet

I've read about BITNET, CompuServe... CompuServe was probably not a network but an online service. Are (were) there any other networks alternative to Internet? Does anyone have experience with them? Do they still exist, is it possible to access them over Internet? There seems not to be another way... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Action
13 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

boot up failure unix sco after power failure

hi power went out. next day unix sco wont boot up error code 303. any help appreciated as we are clueless. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: fredthayer
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Epic - Validate input size

Is there an easy way to validate an input field size. Let us say a script is asking to enter 10 digits mobile number, how do I write a script to validate it is numeric and is 10 digits in length? I just need an easy way w/o using looks ...etc. Is there such a away ? Here is what I have so far... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrn6430
6 Replies
EN(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						     EN(4)

NAME
en -- device driver for Midway-based ATM interfaces SYNOPSIS
To compile this driver into the kernel, place the following lines in your kernel configuration file: device en device atm device utopia Alternatively, to load the driver as a module at boot time, place the following line in loader.conf(5): if_en_load="YES" DESCRIPTION
The en device driver supports Midway-based ATM interfaces including the Efficient Networks, Inc. ENI-155 and Adaptec ANA-59x0. Midway is an AAL5 SAR (Segmentation and Reassembly) chip. For configuring the card for IP see natmip(4). The following sysctls are recognized by the driver additionally to those handled by utopia(4): hw.atm.enX.istats Contains an array of uint32_t with internal driver statistics. hw.atm.enX.debug This is a bit map of debugging options. This variable is only available when the driver is compiled with debugging support. The driver supports the media options sdh, noscramb and unassigned (see utopia(4)). DIAGNOSTICS
en0 <Efficient Networks ENI-155p> rev 0 int a irq 5 on pci0:16 en0: ATM midway v0, board IDs 6.0, Utopia (pipelined), 512KB on-board RAM en0: maximum DMA burst length = 64 bytes en0: 7 32KB receive buffers, 8 32KB transmit buffers allocated CAVEATS
The driver extensively uses DMA on PCI. The first generation PCI chipsets do not work or exhibit poor performance. SEE ALSO
natm(4), natmip(4), utopia(4), ifconfig(8), route(8) AUTHORS
Chuck Cranor of Washington University implemented en driver in 1996 for NetBSD. BSD
July 16, 2005 BSD