Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Put lines of a file in an array with awk Post 302417098 by aigles on Wednesday 28th of April 2010 01:09:59 PM
Old 04-28-2010
Rany, have you tried nawk instead of awk ?

A full example :
Code:
$ cat rany.awk
function read_file_into_array(file, array     ,status, record, count ) {
   count  = 0;
   while (1) {
      status = getline record < file
      if (status == -1) {
         print "Failed to read file " file;
         exit 1;
      }
      if (status == 0) break;
      array[++count] = record;
   }
   close(file);
   return count
}
BEGIN {
   records_count = read_file_into_array("input.txt", File)
   print "The file contains",records_count,"records.\n"
}
{
   printf "Record #%d [%s]\n\n", $1, File[$1];
}
$ cat input.txt
This is record 1
Line 2
Last line
$ awk -f rany.awk
The file contains 3 records.

Record #2 [Line 2]

Record #1 [This is record 1]

Record #3 [Last line]

^D
$

This is too much if you only want to print a specific line.
You can use the technique posted by frans or
Code:
sed -n "$line_number{p;q;}" input.txt

Jean-Pierre.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

put the contents of this file into a variable with multiple lines

I have a file that contains the following lines the brown quick fox jumped over the white laze dog 0123456789 I wanted to put the contents of this file into a variable so I used this code: VAR_LIST=`cat $2` where $2 is the file name passed as an argument to the script If I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nomaad
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Put two lines into one from file

Hello, I have a script that generates the following file named /tmp/rfkill: rf55 pts/13 Jul 10 06:38 (10.72.11.44) 15782 pts/13 5:07 b rf56 pts/15 Jul 10 06:53 (10.72.11.9) 18552 pts/15 0:28 b rf55 pts/39 Jul 10 09:12 (10.72.11.44) 19354 pts/39... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: raidzero
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need to extract few lines from a file and put it in another file

Hi all, I have a file which contains comments,dotted lines(-------),actual records etc.I need to fetch only the actual records and put into a new file neglecting/deleting other rows.I have a header record too which contains the column names for the actual records.i need to discard this too.how... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganesh_248
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk -- sort out the out put file

Hi, using awk /sed, I need to sort out the input file. here is the example input file=== Name= shashi | country= india | region = asia | dept= ww Name= jon | region = asia | dept= xx Name=sam | dept= ww Name= anthony | country=england | dept= xx Name= sumo | country= china output... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hegdeshashi
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to parse file "x" lines at a time ... awk array?

I have files that store multiple data points for the same device "vertically" and include multiple devices. It repeats a consistant pattern of lines where for each line: Column 1 is a common number for the entire file and all devices in that file Column 2 is a unique device number Column 3 is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: STN
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl, put one array into many array when field is equal to sth

Hi Everyone, #!/usr/bin/perl use strict; use warnings; my @test=("a;b;qqq;c;d","a;b;ggg;c;d","a;b;qqq;c;d"); would like to split the @test array into two array: @test1=(("a;b;qqq;c;d","a;b;qqq;c;d"); and @test2=("a;b;ggg;c;d"); means search for 3rd filed. Thanks find the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to load an array with desired lines with awk

Hi everyone, Please some help over here. I've written the below script using ranges (/Initial_pattern/,/Final_Pattern/)to extract only those lines of interest for me: awk ' /^Category/,/^$/{print $1}; /Titles/,/^$/{print $1}; /Authors/,/^$/{print $1}' inputfile To process this input:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read file and get the data then put it in array

Hi, I have a file called "readfile" it contains below parameters #cat readfile word=/abc=225,/abc/cba=150 three=12 four=45 five=/xyz/yza likewise multiple line. From the above file, I have to read "word" output should be like, /abc /abc/cba these values need to be put in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: munna_dude
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Put the lines from file A to end of lines in file B

I really can't figure this one out. I have 2 files, one file is a list of hostnames and the other is a list of their corresponding IPs: fileA: example.com another.org thirdie.net fileB: 1.1.1.1 2.2.2.2 3.3.3.3 I want to create a fileC that looks like: example.com 1.1.1.1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zstar
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to put the command to remove duplicate lines in my awk script?

I create a CGI in bash/html. My awk script looks like : echo "<table>" for fn in /var/www/cgi-bin/LPAR_MAP/*; do echo "<td>" echo "<PRE>" awk -F',|;' -v test="$test" ' NR==1 { split(FILENAME ,a,""); } $0 ~ test { if(!header++){ ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tim2424
12 Replies
COLORGCCRC(5)							File Formats Manual						     COLORGCCRC(5)

NAME
colorgccrc - configuration file for colorgcc DESCRIPTION
A colorgccrc configuration file is used to configure the highlighting of the compiler output from colorgcc. SYNTAX
Each line consists of a keyword designating a configuration variable. The keyword is followed by `:' and then one or several values (depending on the keyword). Lines beginning with a hash mark `#' are comments. CONFIGURATION VARIABLES
g++ | gcc | c++ | cc | g77 | gcj | gnat | gpc Specifies the paths to the compilers. Takes one value; a path to the compiler. nocolor Specifies what terminal types colorization should be disabled on. Takes one or several values, separated by whitespace. srcColor Specifies the highlighting attributes source-code should be given. Takes one or several color attributes. See the section COLOR ATTRIBUTES for more information. introColor Specifies the highlighting attributes for normal compiler output. Takes one or several color attributes. See the section COLOR ATTRIBUTES for more information. warningFileNameColor | errorFileNameColor Specifies the highlighting attributes for the filename in a warning or an error, respectively. Takes one or several color attributes. See the section COLOR ATTRIBUTES for more information. warningNumberColor | errorNumberColor Specifies the highlighting attributes for the line-number in a warning or an error, respectively. Takes one or several color attributes. See the section COLOR ATTRIBUTES for more information. warningMessageColor | errorMessageColor Specifies the highlighting attributes for the message-text in a warning or an error, respectively. Takes one or several color attributes. See the section COLOR ATTRIBUTES for more information. COLOR ATTRIBUTES
The following attributes are valid for highlighting. clear, reset bold, underline, underscore, blink, reverse, concealed black, red, green, yellow, blue, magenta, cyan, white on_black, on_red, on_green, on_yellow, on_blue, on_magenta, on_cyan, on_white SEE ALSO
gcc(1), colorgcc(1) HISTORY
Jan 15 2003: Initial version of this manual-page. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <jmoyers@geeks.com> AUTHORS
Jamie Moyers <jmoyers@geeks.com> is the author of colorgcc. This manual page was written by Joe Wreschnig <piman@sacredchao.net>, and modified by David Weinehall <tao@debian.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2003 Jamie Moyers This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. Jan 15, 2003 COLORGCCRC(5)