Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove special char from end of the file Post 302416482 by pelle on Monday 26th of April 2010 03:27:20 PM
Old 04-26-2010
Remove special char from end of the file

Hi I am working on a bash script and would know how to use cut or sed to remove
(F/.M/d h) from a text file.

Before
1 text to save (F/.M/d h)

after
1 text to save

Thanks in advance

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to copy/move to a file with a special character as the 1st char in the filename?

I am trying to create files with special characters in its filenames for testing purposes. This is on a Linux RHEL4 but this should also be applicable on a Unix shell. I am able to create files with special characters in the filenames...e.g. cp -pv foo.gif \*special.gif cp -pv foo.gif \... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sqa777
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove box like special character from end of string

Hi All, How to remove a box like special character which appears at the end of a string/line/record. I have no clue what this box like special character is. It is transparent square like box. This appears in a .DAT file at the end of header. I'm to compare a value in header with a parameter.... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Qwerty123
16 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add end of char \n on end of file

Hi, I want to add \n as a EOF at the end of file if it does't exist in a single command. How to do this? when I use command echo "1\n" > a.txt and od -c a.txt 0000000 1 \n \n 0000003 How does it differentiate \n and eof in this case? Regards, Venkat (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: svenkatareddy
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Special Char in Data file

Hi All, I have a data file in UNIX which i am trying to load into Oracle table using Oracle SQL Loader. The problem is, one of the filed contains special character (ex: Square). And due to this reason, my script fails. Could you please let me know, how to identify which character is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Amit.Sagpariya
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove First Char from Line in File Only if it's a comma

I have a file, I need to remove the first character of each line, but only if it's a comma. I don't want to delete any other commas in each line. Trying cat or sed but I really don't know them very well, would love some help. This removes the first comma, but it removes the first comma no... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cynthia
6 Replies

6. Red Hat

How to remove a special char using sed

consider this is my sample file format. in this i want to remove ^@ with space . please help me in this problm 7305,1310184890,0,0,12,201370,FCASTBHBR0 ,XX ,2,1,2,0,^@,1,1,0,3,1303862400,0,1577923199,1,10,FCASTOR SEED EX-BHABHAR ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ponmuthu-lnx
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

To search distinct special char in file

hi, i need to search distinct special character from a file which is a pipe delimited from a specific column for eg: input file.txt aa|bb|cc|$abc aa|bb|ccc|#abol bb|xss|ddd|$xyz nn|yyy|qqq|=qqqq abe|qqq|yyy|=aaa aaa|yyy|zzzz|#aaaa . . . my desired output $ (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit_shinez
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to add a numeric & special char to end of the first line

Need to add a numeric & special char to end of the first line Existing file: 12-11-16|11 2016 Jan 12:34:55|03:55| 13-10-16|10 2016 Jan 12:34:55|03:55|12-11-16|11 2016 Jan 12:34:55|03:55| 14-10-16|19 2016 Jan 12:34:55|03:55|13-11-16|11 2016 Jan 12:34:55|04:55| 15-10-16|18 2016 Jan... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Joselouis
11 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need help to delete special characters exists only at the end of the each record in UNIX file?

Hi, I have a file in unix with 15 columns.It consists special characters(#,$,^M,@,*,% etc)at the end of the each record.I want to remove these special characters.I used the following: Sed -e 's/ /g;s/ */ /g' . But It is removing special characters exists everywhere in the file(begining,middle... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshp
24 Replies
IPTABLES-APPLY(8)                                                 iptables 1.6.1                                                 IPTABLES-APPLY(8)

NAME
iptables-apply - a safer way to update iptables remotely SYNOPSIS
iptables-apply [-hV] [-t timeout] [-w savefile] {[rulesfile]|-c [runcmd]} DESCRIPTION
iptables-apply will try to apply a new rulesfile (as output by iptables-save, read by iptables-restore) or run a command to configure iptables and then prompt the user whether the changes are okay. If the new iptables rules cut the existing connection, the user will not be able to answer affirmatively. In this case, the script rolls back to the previous working iptables rules after the timeout expires. Successfully applied rules can also be written to savefile and later used to roll back to this state. This can be used to implement a store last good configuration mechanism when experimenting with an iptables setup script: iptables-apply -w /etc/network/iptables.up.rules -c /etc/network/iptables.up.run When called as ip6tables-apply, the script will use ip6tables-save/-restore and IPv6 default values instead. Default value for rulesfile is '/etc/network/iptables.up.rules'. OPTIONS
-t seconds, --timeout seconds Sets the timeout in seconds after which the script will roll back to the previous ruleset (default: 10). -w savefile, --write savefile Specify the savefile where successfully applied rules will be written to (default if empty string is given: /etc/network/iptables.up.rules). -c runcmd, --command runcmd Run command runcmd to configure iptables instead of applying a rulesfile (default: /etc/network/iptables.up.run). -h, --help Display usage information. -V, --version Display version information. SEE ALSO
iptables-restore(8), iptables-save(8), iptables(8). LEGALESE
Original iptables-apply - Copyright 2006 Martin F. Krafft <madduck@madduck.net>. Version 1.1 - Copyright 2010 GW <gw.2010@tnode.com or http://gw.tnode.com/>. This manual page was written by Martin F. Krafft <madduck@madduck.net> and extended by GW <gw.2010@tnode.com or http://gw.tnode.com/>. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Artistic License 2.0. iptables 1.6.1 IPTABLES-APPLY(8)