Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting OR operator syntax question in AWK script Post 302416067 by cgkmal on Saturday 24th of April 2010 06:02:02 PM
Old 04-24-2010
Hi Franklin,

Thanks for your reply. This works, but is there a way to force awk to see
in specific line and column?

I think something like and IF statement similar to
Code:
if($3 && NR=1) 
{code to replace string}
print $0

I ask in this way because the content in other columns different to column 3 is variable depending the file I´m processing.

Thanks in advance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk syntax question

Hi there could someone explain what is happening in the following function/statement for me, im just a little confused code = 'BEGIN{FS=","} { printf ("%-11s,%s%s%s,%07.2f,%14s,%-3s\n",$1,substr($2,9,2),substr($2,6,2),substr($ 2,3,2),$9,$10,$12) } this function is called later in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

yet another awk field syntax question

I am trying to print the remaing fields and field numbers beginning with a field 'xyz' #cat abc test1:test2:xyz:test3:test4:test5 #cat def test1:test2:test3:xyz:test4:test5 desired output is to be able to print NF and any trailing fields separated by':' test3 3 or test4 3 or test5... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prkfriryce
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AWK syntax question

Hi, Have to check file names in some given directory. SO, What is the right syntax here: *$3*=="'$object_list'" - just wanted to check if $3 is in the object_list. And also, Do I need so many quotes around? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Leo_NN
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

syntax error: `-a' unexpected operator/operand in IF

When i tyr this, it gives me a syntax error...i tried removing quotes,removing spaces,replacing -eq with '='.. Can somebody suggest that is the problem? if ]; then (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dba.admin2008
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

syntax error in shell test: unknown operator

Hi All, can some one figure out the syntax issue here. How to overcome this? #!/bin/sh $ HFR_MAIL=NO $ PRP_MAIL=NO $ MC_MAIL=NO $ if && && ]; then > echo "NO " > else > echo "YES" > fi test: unknown operator NO $ if && && ]; then > echo "NO" > else > echo "YES" >... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shellscripter
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

zsh ternary operator syntax help

Hi, Can someone give me an example of how to use zsh's ternary operator? I tried: # a=1 # c=( a ? "true" : "false" ) and got: zsh: no matches found: ? I'm running zsh 4.2 on RHEL AS 4. Thanks! Paul (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: paul99
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk syntax question

Hi I use awk command to delete the first blanc line of a file: awk '/^$/ && !f{f=1;next}1' infile > outfile can somebody please explain me what the last "1'" in !f{f=1;next}1' stands for... Thansk a lot -A (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

syntax error: invalid arithmetic operator

hi, i have a bash script that i want to receive a a string from another bash file. But because the string has a dot in the middle it gives me an error. The error is in this line: let valor=$1 and the value passed is rules.txt the error is: let: valor=rules.txt: syntax error: invalid... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: limadario
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

syntax question in regards to nested awk statements

Hello all, I am writing up an input file and I was hoping I could get some guidance as to how to best consolidate these 2 awk statements for 1 while loop. Here's my input file # cat databases.lst #NOTE: These entries are delimited by tabs "\t" #oracleSID name/pass # db11 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Keepcase
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting syntax error with awk ternary operator

split($7,a," "); date = a; time = a split(date,d,"/"); month = sprintf("%02d",d); day = sprintf("%02d",d); year = 2000 + d % 100 split(time,t,":"); hour=t; min=t hour >= 12? { hour=hour-12; amPm=" PM" } : amPM=" AM" hour == 0? hour=12 time=sprintf("%02d",hour)":"sprintf("%02d",min)amPm ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
4 Replies
set_color(1)							       fish							      set_color(1)

NAME
set_color - set_color - set the terminal color set_color - set the terminal color Synopsis set_color [-v --version] [-h --help] [-b --background COLOR] [COLOR] Description Change the foreground and/or background color of the terminal. COLOR is one of black, red, green, brown, yellow, blue, magenta, purple, cyan, white and normal. o -b, --background Set the background color o -c, --print-colors Prints a list of all valid color names o -h, --help Display help message and exit o -o, --bold Set bold or extra bright mode o -u, --underline Set underlined mode o -v, --version Display version and exit Calling set_color normal will set the terminal color to whatever is the default color of the terminal. Some terminals use the --bold escape sequence to switch to a brighter color set. On such terminals, set_color white will result in a grey font color, while set_color --bold white will result in a white font color. Not all terminal emulators support all these features. This is not a bug in set_color but a missing feature in the terminal emulator. set_color uses the terminfo database to look up how to change terminal colors on whatever terminal is in use. Some systems have old and incomplete terminfo databases, and may lack color information for terminals that support it. Download and install the latest version of ncurses and recompile fish against it in order to fix this issue. Version 1.23.1 Sun Jan 8 2012 set_color(1)