Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash scripting, question about a variable Post 302414302 by cfajohnson on Monday 19th of April 2010 08:33:10 PM
Old 04-19-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakunin
The statement is poorly phrased, btw., because it is asking for troubles: the asterisk ("*") has a special meaning to the shell and to protect such special characters from being interpreted one should cover them in quotes:

Code:
DIR="$1/*"

It is not necessary to quote an assignment unless it contains literal whitespace.
Quote:
Furthermore, when using variable-names without spaces surrounding them it is a wise precaution to explicitly mark what belongs to the variable identifier and what doesn't:

Code:
DIR="${1}/*"

There's no point to using braces when the name is followed by a character that cannot be contained in a variable name.
Quote:
In your case this makes no difference, but consider:

Code:
a="blabla"
b="$ab"     # appending "b" will not work, because a variable named "ab" is expected
echo "$b"

b="${a}b"  # this will work
echo "$b"

I hope this helps.

bakunin

Last edited by cfajohnson; 04-20-2010 at 02:54 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash scripting question re: newlines

I'm writing a bash script to search the contents of a postfix log. To keep the script's output readable (since multiple lines from the log file need to be echo'ed) I am setting the IFS variable to an empty string so that the line breaks in my grep results are preserved. I am storing the results... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: retrovertigo
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing variable from bash to perl from bash script

Hi All, I need to pass a variable to perl script from bash script, where in perl i am using if condition. Here is the cmd what i am using in perl FROM_DATE="06/05/2008" TO_DATE="07/05/2008" "perl -ne ' print if ( $_ >="$FROM_DATE" && $_ <= "$TO_DATE" ) ' filename" filename has... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: arsidh
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash and ksh: variable lost in loop in bash?

Hi, I use AIX (ksh) and Linux (bash) servers. I'm trying to do scripts to will run in both ksh and bash, and most of the time it works. But this time I don't get it in bash (I'm more familar in ksh). The goal of my script if to read a "config file" (like "ini" file), and make various report.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: estienne
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH: How do I grep on a variable? (or simmilar question that makes sense)

Hi, I've been running code which very frequently calls books.csv. e.g: grep -i horror books.csv > tempExcept, I'm trying to move away from using temporary files or frequently calling books.csv to improve efficiency. So I tried something like bookfile=$(cat books.csv) grep -i horror... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Quan
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash scripting question

have a script that calls child scripts depending on conditions. All of the child scripts source in a common file that contains shared functions. At the moment each script has to source this file itself, is there a way for the master script to automagically source the file for them? For... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: redman
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

{bash scripting} Multiline initialisation of string variable

Hello, The task is quite simple. I need to initialise а string variable and assign to it a very long value. For the reason of readability I want to devide this long value into equal parts and place each part at a separate line. For instance, I have - ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Pretoria
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash variable assignment question

Suppose I have a file named Stuff in the same directory as my script. Does the following assign the file Stuff to a variable? Var="Stuff" Why doesn't this just assign the string Stuff? Or rather how would I assign the string Stuff to a variable in this situation? Also, what exactly is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Riker1204
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash question: working with an array of previously set variable strings

while i've used arrays to work with variables, i've never used them to loop through a set of strings and wanted to ask the community for some feedback or assistance. let me be specific. here's my code: # URL port Variables port2195=`nc -z $url2195 2195` port2196=`nc -z $url2196 2196`... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hungryd
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Beginner Bash Scripting Question

Hello, I am new to Linux and studying to become a Unix System Admin. I am taking a course in which I was practicing creating a bash script to ping a particular IP address. The script can be found below: #/bin/bash echo "Enter the IP address" read ip if then ping -c 1 $ip if ;... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shah9250
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Total Noob BASH scripting question

Hello All, I have a file of ip addresses called activeips.txt What I'm trying to do is run a simple bash script that has a loop in it. The loop is a cat of the IP addresses in the file. The goal is to run 2 nmap commands to give me outputs where each address in the list has an OS... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dirk_Pitt
11 Replies
MESSAGES(3)						  libbash messages Library Manual					       MESSAGES(3)

NAME
messages -- libbash library that implements a set of functions to print standard status messages SYNOPSIS
printOK [indent] printFAIL [indent] printNA [indent] printATTN [indent] printWAIT [indent] DESCRIPTION
General messages is a collection of functions to print standard status messages - those [ OK ] and [FAIL] messages you see during Linux boot process. The function list: printOK Prints a standard [ OK ] message (green) printFAIL Prints a standard [FAIL] message (red) printNA Prints a standard [ N/A] message (yellow) printATTN Prints a standard [ATTN] message (yellow) printWAIT Prints a standard [WAIT] message (yellow) Detailed interface description follows. indent Column to move to before printing. Default indent is calculated as TTY_WIDTH-10. If current tty width can not be determined (for example, in case of serial console), it defaults to 80, so default indent is 80-10=10 FUNCTIONS DESCRIPTIONS
printOK [indent] Prints a standard [ OK ] message (green) printFAIL [indent] Prints a standard [FAIL] message (red) printNA [indent] Prints a standard [ N/A] message (yellow) printATTN [indent] Prints a standard [ATTN] message (yellow) printWAIT [indent] Prints a standard [WAIT] message (yellow) EXAMPLES
Run a program named MyProg, and report it's success or failure: echo -n 'Running MyProg...' printWAIT if MyProg ; then printOK else printFAIL fi AUTHORS
Hai Zaar <haizaar@haizaar.com> Gil Ran <gil@ran4.net> SEE ALSO
ldbash(1), libbash(1) Linux Epoch Linux