Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Problem with sort-of array in SH Post 302414234 by jsmoriss on Monday 19th of April 2010 02:48:08 PM
Old 04-19-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by onstock
Works great and efficient. Thank you! But I'm wondering if there is something that could be done in sort-of array (code written in my first post - code #3)? If it is possible to use it, I could use it for my further studying of scripting.
You want to create "array like variables" in bourne shell? Hm. How about this?

Code:
n=0
for val in a b c
do 
    eval var$n="$val"
    n="`expr $n + 1`"
done

That would give you 3 variables, in this example, $var0, $var1, and $var2.

js.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort() array of strings in perl

I have a perl script with an array of clients. @arr = ("The ABC Corp", "AA Corp.", "BB Corp"); If I run @a = sort (@arr); I will get @a = ("AA Corp", "BB Corp", "The ABC Corp"); but I want @a = ("AA Corp, "The ABC Corp", "BB Corp"); How do I sort array without changing... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: photon
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How To Sort Array of Hashes ??

Some one plz help me how to sort an array of hashes ..... for e.g i have an array as @AoH = ( { ques => 10, marks => 32, }, { ques => 32, marks => 22, }, { ques => 2, marks => 41, }, ); now i want to sort this array with increasing value of "ques" ..... plz... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolguyshail
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sort after 2. column in array in Perl

Hey How do I sort an array numerically after the second column? My values are integers like 1, 2, 3, 4... and they are not unique, so I can't just reverse my hash and sort by keys. I wanna sort my file/array so that I get the lines with the highest value in the top - that is descending. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Banni
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl sort array by field

Hi Everyone, Any simple code can simplify the code below, please advice. Thanks # cat 2.pl #!/usr/bin/perl use warnings; use strict; my @aaaaa = <DATA>; my @uids; foreach (@aaaaa) { my @ccccc = split (",", $_); push @uids, $ccccc;... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort piping to awk array - help please

Hi I'm just learning programming and need some help. I've taken a data file which has a list of numbers eg: 3 5 32 533 13 2 And I've used sort -n and to sort and then piped it to awk to arrange into an array. #!/bin/sh sort -n data.txt | awk ' { array=$1 } (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: EL_Chemso
4 Replies

6. Programming

Merge sort when array starts from zero(0) index???

Hi friends, I have implemented the merge sort algorith in c, before I put forward my question, you please have a look at my code. // The array is sorted, as 1234 #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <math.h> int A = {4, 3, 2, 1}; void Merge_Sort(int , int, int); void... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabam
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk array sort

I have a file as below Input File: 5/11/2012, dir1, 134 5/11/2012, dir2, 2341 5/11/2012, dir3, 2134 5/11/2012, dir4, 2334 5/12/2012, dir1, 234 5/12/2012, dir2, 2341 5/12/2012, dir3, 2334 5/13/2012, dir1, 234 5/13/2012, dir2, 2341 5/13/2012, dir3, 2334 5/13/2012, dir4, 21134 Now... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chakrapani
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sort array elements from same field

Hi, input: line1|error_type_a@15 line1|error_type_c@10 line1|error_type_b@5 line2|error_type_f@3 line2|error_type_a@1 I would need to place all the second fields with common first field on the same line, BUT with sorted error position number: line1|error_type_b@5; error_type_c@10;... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: beca123456
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Array length: ls and sort

Hi there, I'm listing files and sorting them. When I try to get length of array variable in which these files are stored I get 1 as value. That's weird. files_info="$(find $input_dir -name "*_CHR$i.info" | sort )" printf ${#files_info}"\n" #print length #--loop through... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: genome
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort multidimensional Array

Hello I have a problem. I create a Multidimensional Array Like this: ENTRY="$kunnum-$host" ENTRY="$host" ENTRY="# $3" for key in "${!ENTRY}"; do ENTRIES=${ENTRY} # INDEX=IP(5) donedeclare -p declare -A ENTRIES=(="unas15533" ="unas" ="# RDP-Terminal 2"... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Marti95
12 Replies
sccs-val(1)							   User Commands						       sccs-val(1)

NAME
sccs-val, val - validate an SCCS file SYNOPSIS
val [-s] [-m name] [-rsid] [-y type] s.filename... DESCRIPTION
The val utility determines if the specified s.files meet the characteristics specified by the indicated arguments. val can process up to 50 files on a single command line. val has a special argument, `-', which reads the standard input until the end-of-file condition is detected. Each line read is indepen- dently processed as if it were a command line argument list. val generates diagnostic messages on the standard output for each command line and file processed and also returns a single 8-bit code upon exit as described below. The 8-bit code returned by val is a disjunction of the possible errors, that is, it can be interpreted as a bit string where (moving from left to right) the bits set are interpreted as follows: bit 0 = missing file argument bit 1 = unknown or duplicate option bit 2 = corrupted s.file bit 3 = can not open file or file not in s.file format bit 4 = the SCCS delta ID (SID) is invalid or ambiguous bit 5 = the SID does not exist bit 6 = mismatch between Y% and -y argument bit 7 = mismatch between sccs-val.1 and -m argument val can process two or more files on a given command line, and in turn can process multiple command lines (when reading the standard input). In these cases, an aggregate code is returned which is the logical OR of the codes generated for each command line and file pro- cessed. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -s Silent. Suppresses the normal error or warning messages. -m name Compares name with the %M% ID keyword in the s.file. -rsid Checks to see if the indicated SID is ambiguous, invalid, or absent from the s.file. -y type Compares type with the %Y% ID keyword. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of val: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWsprot | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Committed | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Standard |See standards(5). | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sccs(1), sccs-admin(1), sccs-delta(1), sccs-get(1), sccs-help(1), what(1), sccsfile(4), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) DIAGNOSTICS
Use the SCCS help command for explanations (see sccs-help(1)). SunOS 5.11 17 Jan 2008 sccs-val(1)