Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Find word in files
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Find word in files Post 302413721 by ywu081006 on Friday 16th of April 2010 06:29:24 PM
Old 04-16-2010
Thanks. Got the word need to find.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

find a word in a file, and change a word beneath it ??

Hi all, I have a file with lines written somewhat like this. aaaa ccc aa linux browse = no xssxw cdcedc dcsdcd csdw police dwed dwd browse = no cdecec (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas027
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell:Find a word in files in a directory and subdirectories

I'm looking to write a ksh code with will be alble to find a word like 'toto' in all files going from my current directory. eg. /doc ----------->have: text.c which "toto" /doc/usr-------->have: build.pc, help.java which "toto" /doc/usr/cach -->have: test.sh which "toto" /doc/build... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yeclota
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find a word in a all the files in a Directory??

I want to find a specific word present in all the files ina directory....Please tell me the command to be used?? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shikhakaul
6 Replies

4. Red Hat

Find a word from multiple level files on Linux

To find a word from multiple level files: "find . -type f -exec grep {} +" is working on UNIX machines but not working on Linux machine. What is the equivalent command on Linux to find the word from multiple level files? Input is appreciated. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ywu081006
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find text in files without using the word itself but the assigned variable of it

I'm having a problem how to find the specific word in a file without using the word itself as a search but using the assigned variable which is the $passwd.. what command should I use to find the value of $passwd written in different script? how do I use the command to print the value in this... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jenimesh19
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace a word in all the files (that contain the word) under a directory

Hi Everyone, I am looking for a simple way for replacing all the files under a directory that use the server "xsgd1234dap" with "xsdr3423pap". For Example: In the Directory, $pwd /home/nick $ grep -l "xsgd1234dap" *.sh | wc -l 119 I have "119" files that are still using... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: filter
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find EXACT word in files, just the word: no prefix, no suffix, no 'similar', just the word

I have a file that has the words I want to find in other files (but lets say I just want to find my words in a single file). Those words are IDs, so if my word is ZZZ4, outputs like aaZZZ4, ZZZ4bb, aaZZZ4bb, ZZ4, ZZZ, ZyZ4, ZZZ4.8 (or anything like that) WON'T BE USEFUL. I need the whole word... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chicchan
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find word in a directory files

Hi folks, i have a file in which i have words like below words.txt(file name) and words are arranged likes no spaces between words Apple Banana Carrot And i have list files which have these words in a directory (/tmp/satemp) test1.txt test2.txt test3.txt So if the word 'Apple' is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolboy98699
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find command to find a word from list of files

I need to find a word '% Retail by State' in the folder /usr/sas/reports/RetailSalesTaxallocation. When I tried like below, -bash-4.1$ cd /usr/sas/reports/RetailSalesTaxallocation -bash-4.1$ find ./ -name % Retail by State find: paths must precede expression: Retail Usage: find ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ram Kumar_BE
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a word and increment the number in the word & save into new files

Hi All, I am looking for a perl/awk/sed command to auto-increment the numbers line in file, P1.tcl: run_build_model sparc_ifu_dec run_drc set_faults -model path_delay -atpg_effectiveness -fault_coverage add_delay_paths P1 set_atpg -abort_limit 1000 run_atpg -ndetects 1000 I would like... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jypark22
6 Replies
apropos(1)						      General Commands Manual							apropos(1)

NAME
apropos - Locates reference pages by keyword SYNOPSIS
apropos keyword... The apropos command shows which reference pages contain instances of any of the given keywords in their purpose lines. OPTIONS
Specifies the word(s) for which apropos should search. DESCRIPTION
In looking for keywords, apropos considers each word separately and ignores the case of letters. Words that are part of other words are also considered; thus, when looking for the word compile, apropos will also find all instances of compiler. If the output of the apropos command begins with a name and reference section number, you can enter man section name. For example, if the output of the apropos command is make(1u), you can enter man 1u make to obtain the reference page on System V version of the make command. The apropos command works just like the man command with the -k option. EXAMPLES
To find reference pages with the keyword password in the purpose line, enter: apropos password FILES
Keyword database. SEE ALSO
Commands: man(1), whatis(1), catman(8) apropos(1)