Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Newbie Question - Help with script Post 302413524 by thegeek on Friday 16th of April 2010 03:47:51 AM
Old 04-16-2010
pipe the output of yes command.

Example:

Code:
yes | command

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Newbie Question

I am fairly new to *nix/linux and I have just installed SuSe 8.2. I am wondering what skills would be good to learn. I know that I will need to learn how to write scripts, but what scripting languages should I learn. I greatly appreciate any and all comments. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ntalektual
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie question

Hello, I have text file while looks this test1 test2 test3 test4 test5 test6 and if I want to parse it and make new file which would like this test1 test2 test3 test4 test5 test6 How can I do this in korn shell script Thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: peeyush_23
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie Question: passing a variable into java from script?

I'm currently working on my second ever ksh script! So I apologize if this is a stupid question - I've searched the forum and on google and haven't seen anything :confused: I'm running my script with an input at startup that variable determines a couple of other values(int) that I store into... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Cailet
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Newbie question?

What is the best way to learn UNIX on the web, with out buying books? any link would be much help. Thank you in advance, L (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lsoria1
1 Replies

5. Programming

Newbie question

Dear all, I have a question related to parallel programing and if you can give me some hints on how to deal with it, it would be really great. I would like to run a small application on a supercompter of 128 CPUs. Unfortunately, on this machine only jobs which require 32 CPUs are allowed to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Eduard
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX newbie NEWBIE question!

Hello everyone, Just started UNIX today! In our school we use solaris. I just want to know how do I setup Solaris 10 not the GUI one, the one where you have to type the commands like ECHO, ls, pwd, etc... I have windows xp and I also have vmware. I hope I am not missing anything! :p (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hanamachi
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl newbie . &&..programming newbie (question 2)

Hello everyone, I am having to do a lot of perl scripting these days and I am learning a lot. I have this problem I want to move files from a folder and all its sub folders to one parent folder, they are all .gz files.. there is folder1\folder2\*.gz and there are about 50 folders... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xytiz
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie Question: Killing a process using a supplied name to a shell script

Hi, I am trying to automate the killing of named processes of which I found a good solution here on the forums but as I am pretty much a begginer to linux I am having an issue. The code I found is: kill $(ps -ef | nawk '/monitoreo start/ { print $2}'} but what I want to do is replace... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TylrRssl1
3 Replies

9. Programming

need help with shell script filtering files and sort! newbie question?

Hi folks, I would like to get familiar with shell script programing. The first task is: write a shell script that: scans your home-folder + sub-directory for all txt-files that all users of your group are allowed to read and write then output these files sorted by date of last... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rollinator
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

What does this do (newbie question)...

I was looking through some code online and came accross this... ls *.txt | grep text1 | cat file1 – file2 | `echo wc –l` I know what "ls|grep text1" does and I know a word count gets echoed but beyond that I am confused. Please use layman terms as much as possible as I am a newbie. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: elohssa
8 Replies
script(1)							   User Commands							 script(1)

NAME
script - make record of a terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [filename] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a record of everything printed on your screen. The record is written to filename. If no file name is given, the record is saved in the file typescript. See WARNINGS. The script command forks and creates a sub-shell, according to the value of $SHELL, and records the text from this session. The script ends when the forked shell exits or when Control-d is typed. OPTIONS
The following option is supported: -a Appends the session record to filename, rather than overwriting it. NOTES
script places everything that appears on the screen in filename, including prompts. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5) WARNINGS
script can pose a security risk when used in directories that are writable by other users (for example, /tmp), especially when run by a privileged user, that is, root. Be sure that typescript is not a link before running script. SunOS 5.11 30 Jan 2004 script(1)