Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: bash reading and assigning
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting bash reading and assigning Post 302413455 by Learnerabc on Thursday 15th of April 2010 08:57:30 PM
Old 04-15-2010
I tried if then...but the problem is when I read variable..let's say use give variable b as the option he want, but the file that I want to open with that do not open.
Now I am thing of delclaring varibale as numbers and then compare with if..then and try to open..
I will let you know if that workks

Thanks for reply though

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading file and assigning that to Variable

I am missing something here, I have a file which contains only one line and that is either a number or character string. I am trying to read the file and assign that value to a variable and here it seems I am missing something and not getting the expected results... Here is the code : #!/bin/ksh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vaddadi
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading from a file and assigning values

HI I have something like this in a file ABC = 1 DEF = 2 GHI = 3 JKL = 4 MNO = 5 QRS = 6 TUV = 7 I need to assign ABC to V_abc (that is to a variable) GHI to V_ghi (that is to another variable) TUV to say V_tuv ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssuresh1999
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading data from file and assigning to variable

I was trying to store the number of lines in a file and store it in a file.after that i want to store the information in a file to a variable which is further used in the if loop to check certain condition. #!/bin/bash cat <file> | wc -l > count.txt x="$count.txt"; i=10; if ; then cat... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhakaryadav
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in reading file (bash)

i get a name from user first name : last name, in this format. Now i am saving this to a file. what i want is, I do not want to save any name if I already have one entry o that same name..what should i do for example user give robert fernandez this will save in file as robert:fernandez. if... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Learnerabc
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in reading a cv file in bash

Hi All, I am trying to read a .csv file which has some 6 columns. Eg: samp.csv one, two, three, four six, seven, eight, nine I used the following code, for line in `cat samp.csv` do echo "$line" done It displays every comma seperated values in each line like, one,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johnwilliams.sp
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with reading and assigning variables

Hi Gurus, I have a file named log with 2 lines Each line is a file name. eg $ cat log monday tuesday I need to read log and assign each output(filename) to a different variable. The following doesn't work:- while read A B do echo " a is ${A} " echo " b is ${B} " done <... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisdom
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash: Reading a file and assigning variables from file

I have a file that has four values on each line and I'd like to give each column a variable name and then use those values in each step of a loop. In bash, I believe you could use a while loop to do this or possibly a cat command, but I am super new to programming and I'm having trouble decoding... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccorder22
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading from a file and assigning to an array in perl

I wrote a simply perl that searched a file for a particualr value and if it found it, rite it and the next three lines to a file. Now I have been asked to check those next three lines for a different value and only write those lines if it finds the second value. I was thinking the best way to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: billprice13
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning Multiple Comma Separated IP's To A Bash Array

I am in the process of creating a BASH shell scripts for a project at work. So the scenario is as such: I have a file with each line entry separated by ':' ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading from file bash command

Hello, I have a file in the following format id sample platform R1 R2 gene1 gene2 gene3 1 abc llumina R1_001.fastq.gz R2_001.fastq.gz apoe prnpp asp 2 def llumina R1_001.fastq.gz R2_001.fastq.gz apoe prnpp 3 ghi llumina ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nans
3 Replies
set(n)							       Tcl Built-In Commands							    set(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
set - Read and write variables SYNOPSIS
set varName ?value? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Returns the value of variable varName. If value is specified, then set the value of varName to value, creating a new variable if one doesn't already exist, and return its value. If varName contains an open parenthesis and ends with a close parenthesis, then it refers to an array element: the characters before the first open parenthesis are the name of the array, and the characters between the parentheses are the index within the array. Otherwise varName refers to a scalar variable. Normally, varName is unqualified (does not include the names of any containing namespaces), and the variable of that name in the current namespace is read or written. If varName includes names- pace qualifiers (in the array name if it refers to an array element), the variable in the specified namespace is read or written. If no procedure is active, then varName refers to a namespace variable (global variable if the current namespace is the global namespace). If a procedure is active, then varName refers to a parameter or local variable of the procedure unless the global command was invoked to declare varName to be global, or unless a variable command was invoked to declare varName to be a namespace variable. SEE ALSO
expr(n), proc(n), trace(n), unset(n) KEYWORDS
read, write, variable Tcl set(n)